Choosing a Domicile

This is a hot bed topic as I have found several posts on the forum. I am very new to the RVing lifestyle so when I finally realized that it was such a big deal I searched for any help I could get. Guess what, I got a plate full. More than I probably could digest in a month but it basically boiled down to a few things. One being that not every state is a perfect fit, so what is the best answer for me. Medico posted a very good step by step description of how they made the transition from NY to FL. This was very helpful in that it went through their experience step by step. It also made me aware that because of the high prices, etc that Florida would not be a fit for me. Texas has been thrown around a ton and for the most part I found it acceptable, except for the vehicle inspection. I lived a short time in Utah where I quickly found more than I wanted dealing with vehicle inspections. After my cargo light stopped working the inspector told me that I failed the inspection and would have to fix the light because it was standard equipment on the year and model of my truck. A week later and 535.00 later I got that %&^&$ light fixed at the dealer. Never again. I t wasn't something that was safety related or environmentally related but cost me a boat load just to get a license that I had less than 1 year.

So, I'm down to South Dakota. And since I am a veteran and have VA medical I'm finding very little to make SD not the best fit for me. Sure it is cold there in the winter, SO what, I'm not living there in the winter. I can go there in the summer and enjoy Deadwood area.

This is not an easy fix as some would make it out to be, but it's also not totally overwhelming either. Get all the facts, chew on it a few days and slowly make the decision you feel works for you. IMO

Texas has been thrown around a ton and for the most part I found it acceptable, except for the vehicle inspection. I lived a short time in Utah where I quickly found more than I wanted dealing with vehicle inspections. After my cargo light stopped working the inspector told me that I failed the inspection and would have to fix the light because it was standard equipment on the year and model of my truck. A week later and 535.00 later I got that %&^&$ light fixed at the dealer. Never again.

The inspection in TX is nothing like what you describe, for several reasons. One of them is that it is illegal for an inspection station to even ask to make repairs for you. They are only allowed to do so if you ask them to and you are allowed either do the repair yourself or take the repair elsewhere and if done within 24 hours, you don't even need a re-inspection or additional fee. The state is very aggressive on enforcement of such things and I have not heard of any incidents of this. Inspections do not include anything inside of the vehicle other than turning things on such as exterior lights and turn signals. The inspection takes about 15 to 20 minutes and is waved if the vehicle is out of state when due. You have three days upon returning to TX to get a new inspection.

There are literally thousands of satisfied RVing Texans who have been domiciled here for many years. Don't create a problem which isn't there.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived