car insurance when switching states.

Not just a difference between states, but also a difference between counties within states. When ours went up, I checked on ways to cut the cost (while staying with our current carrier) and found if we used our garaged or parked address instead of our physical address (where we could never park anyway) it almost cut our premium in half!

I also asked them to review ALL discounts we MIGHT qualify for.

Debbie

2000 Volvo 770 Auto Shift/ 2L Custom Hauler Body with Smart Car Air Loader
2011 Smart Passion

2012 New Horizons 42' Custom 5th wheel (New Horizons Ambassadors)

I would think it would go down. Mine doubled from NC to Texas

I would NOT think that. My Blue Sky premium for 5er only jumped $300 from last yr to this yr. When I asked my agent why, she said Fla allowed companies to raise rates.

I have been shopping and other companies have better rates.

We get new quotes every 2-3 years. That's about the length of time needed to see the rates creeping upward. We're not loyal to any one company. It's whoever gives us a good rate for the exact same policy.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Here is a ranking of the states by car insurance rates: http://www.insure.com/car-insurance/car-insurance-rates.html

Florida is ranked 8th and Texas is 13th. (1 being the most expensive and 51 the least expensive, DC is included in the list)

Michigan is the most expensive and Maine is the least expensive as of the above report March 2016.

PS North Carolina was rate 45 least expensive

• 2 weeks later...

We are picking up you new 5er next month, so we have been frantically searching for a new domicile. When checking w/ Progressive between here, southern Calif and Livingston TX, it was TRIPLE in TX compared to Calif. I was shock as was the representative.

We are pre-medicare and having a heck of a time finding the correct place to call home.

Our insurance stayed about the same moving from SC to TX (Livingston). Perhaps it's because I'm with USAA and/or the fact that I've been with them for over 30 years.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

We are picking up you new 5er next month, so we have been frantically searching for a new domicile. When checking w/ Progressive between here, southern Calif and Livingston TX, it was TRIPLE in TX compared to Calif. I was shock as was the representative.

We are pre-medicare and having a heck of a time finding the correct place to call home.

Are you comparing rates for fulltimer coverage in both states? Keep in mind that your present carrier is probably not quoting true fulltime living coverage for the RV as it does dramatically increase the cost of insurance because the coverage's are far greater. You can't simply compare current part-time RV insurance to what we need as fulltimers. Even as a TX resident, when we bought a house again and got home owner's insurance, the price of insurance for the RV dropped in a big way.

I suggest to you that if you pick a location for your domicile based only upon the price of RV insurance you are quite likely to make a major mistake. To change your domicile means much more than just finding some other place to register and insure the RV and you need to look at many other things that are involved. To change domicile means that you legally mover your home completely out of CA and into the chosen location. There are many issues of major importance beyond the choice of RV insurance. Let me suggest that you read this article from Escapee's Magazine to make sure that you realize what is involved in this change.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Are you comparing rates for fulltimer coverage in both states?

I suggest to you that if you pick a location for your domicile based only upon the price of RV insurance you are quite likely to make a major mistake.

Yes, I was comparing same coverage, same company, two different zip codes, and it was a huge difference.

Trust me, I am not just deciding by insurance. Have been searching for awhile, figuring ALL aspects of fulltiming. Just wasn't able to figure out the fulltime insurance until we knew which rig we would be getting.

• 4 weeks later...

Post is a bit olde now, but timely for us, as we're doing the insurance quote cycle again.

We've had Blue Sky for about 4 years now. Rates have gone up every year, and this year they really jumped. I also found that when I filed a claim for comprehensive for some damage to our coach, they have it recorded as collision, and now I'm listed as having an accident for both toad and coach insurance. (Working with them is like peeing into a stiff wind. You may have some relief from the 'talking', even feel a bit 'warm' about it while doing so - but before the call is over - you're both 'cold' and 'the odor' is unpleasant too....). They said damage to the coach body is 'collision' to them. I explained, as I did when we filed the claim, that the coach was parked. Engine was not running. No other vehicle was involved. A ROCK ROLLED DOWN AN EMBANKMENT, AND STRUCK THE FRONT RIGHT CORNER CHIN OF OUR COACH. How is that 'collision vs comprehensive'. I said I've been insured since I was 16 years of age, and have never had any problems communicating with an insurance company before. I explained I did not care about their 'internal policies', I wanted to know in our policy where it stated that any damage to the body of the coach or auto would be considered 'collision'. (It does not reflect that anywhere, that I can find.) They just did not seem to care, and even after a few days of calls when I got to the underwriter, he was 'well that's how we do things'. So, I'm sending them a registered letter to dispute this, specifically about being 'an accident' to me. And, that I did not want to see this come up on any requests for other insurance searches as 'an accident', as it was not one.

OK, so now about insurance. Getting help from our agent again now. But was talking to a gent that says he is using AARP Hartford for his RV and Auto insurance. Has been with them awhile, and really likes their rates and how they handle a claim he made. I would consider him a full time, but he has their coverage... Does anyone know of any magic on how to obtain AARP Hartford as a Full Timer? (He does have a Park Model at a COOP, but he just completed an 8 month trip thru the states. So maybe he is not listed as Full Time, as he has a Park Model too(?). Heck, I still have a home in California, which by the way I always list as the 'garage address', as this is where it is parked when not in use. Wonder if that give me away into Hartford?

TIA for any tips and thoughts, and best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Even when we had the S&B's since we lived in the RV more than 5 months we were considered fulltimers by the insurnance company.

We do insure our vehicles through The Hartford but the fiver is through Miller with National.

I found out the hard way that your zipcode can affect your rates even though your within the same county because of a intersection that should have had a signal light but didn't. The village wanted to install one but it was a state maintained highway so there had so much carnage before they would install one and then it had to be placed in the budget. After many wreaks and three fatalities they got around to it.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

• 1 year later...

I retired from Missouri last summer and moved to Texas and made it my domicile. My car insurance MORE THAN DOUBLED because I was staying in an RV park in southern TX (Mission) which is only a few miles north of the Mexican border (this is my car insurance-my travel trailer insurance stayed almost the same). (Texas) Farm Bureau told me if my address had been Livingston TX, it would be cheaper than being so close to the border. They were not happy when I explained using the mail forwarding service of Escapees so I could use their address. I am also not happy with Farm Bureau as they also charge $50 per year membership fee. So I'm back searching for car/RV insurance and very appreciative of everyone's experiences. 

4 hours ago, MdwstGrl said:

I retired from Missouri last summer and moved to Texas and made it my domicile.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! As a part of your change of domicile, you need to move all of your business to the Rainbow Dr. address. I saw your reply on the other thread so will not repeat that same information here. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:22 AM, Barbaraok said:

Try Progressive.  We switched to them this year as National Interstate quit writing RV policies.  

I actually had Progressive for several years before moving to Southern TX. They informed me when I moved that they could no longer provide insurance for me. I will take Kirk Woods advice about using Escapees services and look back into it. Thanks!

19 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Strange, they took Livingston address without batting an eye for both RV and car.  

Livingston is not close to the Mexican border. I was staying in Mission at the time. Good to know Progressive is available further north.

Archived