Cargo Trailer Recommendation Needed

We are selling our home and most of the contents. What we have left, we are planning on buying a cargo trailer to store our must keep items and parking the trailer on a relative's property.

Would appreciate a few recommendations on a quality cargo trailer. Looking to buy used.

Thanks,

Al

Anthracite Coal Region

Kulpmont, PA

Heat and cold, you may have a problem with condensation unless it's very well insulated. That could result in mold and mildew. That is often a problem with commercial storage units also, especially furniture/fabrics and paper items.

Pat DeJong

Several thoughts here.

Why keep anything you can't take with you? We have known full time RV'ers who used the local climate controlled storage garage idea, they had not been back to there in 2 to 5 years. With a cargo trailer you can't store any kind of fluids, paste products, or anything else that will freeze in Pennsylvania winters. The bedding, cloth covered furniture, and paper products will attract silverfish bugs, cockroaches, and mice, I know, I know, the trailer is a sealed box but mice are very resourceful critters. Be sure you park the trailer on 2x12 wood boards and cover the tires with wheel covers to protect the them.

You have 8', 10', 12', 14', 16', 20', etc length cargo trailers to choose from, I would think you would want one that is 12 to 14 feet and that could cost you as much as 1500 to 2000 dollars used. We sold our 16' at our auction and it brought 1000 dollars and it had lighting installed, and electric tongue lift, it was also a single axle, a dual axle will cost more.

In my mind the choice of using a cargo trailer to store your kept goods depends mostly upon what it is that you are storing and where, since I have known two folks who did exactly that and had very good success in doing so. Then when they left the road, one after 5 years and the other 11 years, they just towed the trailer to the new stick home and one sold the trailer while the other still uses his. But the question here was about what brands are quality trailers.

I suspect that a great deal of this will be different in PA than it is here in TX, but I'll still mention a few that I have some knowledge of. One that was used in the 5 year incident above was from Wells Cargo. The other was from Haulmark trailers if memory serves. What I can tell you is that just like with RVs, the best quality trailers are not the least expensive ones. In both cases above, the owner chose a model that had better than typical specifications and construction.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes Kirk, the question was about brandsof cargo trailers. We won't be storing furniture, mattresses or that sort of items and will keep in mind about the critters and mildew. We'll check out the Wells Cargo and Haulmark brands.

Thanks folks for the responses.

Al

Kulpmont, PA

Archived