Why is it SO Hard....

It seems insurance companies have it out for Fulltimers :(

Fulltimers pay a "Fulltimer's rate" which is more expensive than non-fulltime insurance.

Ditto for Coach-Net services - and currently the fulltimer rate on Coach Net is almost TWICH the cost of a non-fulltime rate!

How is everyone out there dealing with this?

Bob & Anne-Marie Williams

| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego bikes |

| Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime |

event.png

I don't feel fulltimers are being gouged etc foir insurance

Insurance is all about risk.

We are in our rigs more miles and usually on higher risk highways than the average weekend/ vacation person

We need liability coverage, which if you lived in a sticks and bricks you would be paying for. So think as that of a transfer of funds

Our rigs are generally expensive to replace. Heck even the windshield of our MH was $3000.

We carry much more personal property than the above mentioned casual camper.

I could go on. But you Gert the point.

As for Coach net the same things apply. Because we are on the road more we have more exposure to breakdown so again higher risk

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

I'm originally from Texas, and used to hear that Insurance companies "have it out" for Texas homeowners. Then we'd get the hailstorms, the floods, the tornadoes and the hurricanes, and hear about the billions and billions of dollars in claims filed.

I agree with the above. It all comes down to risk and coverage. If companies offering full-timer insurance were getting rich off it, others would be quick to enter the market at lower prices. Since that hasn't happened the best we can do is shop around and make your choice.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Keep in mind that Fulltimers RV insurance covers far more than an RV policy for a homeowner that has a great deal of coverage from that policy.

If you have over coverage - then yes, a fulltimer's policy is too much coverage and too much money. Without a homeowner's policy or other coverage it is likely about the safe minimum to have for your RV lifestyle.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

A Full timer is in their RV TWICE as much as a Non Full Timer. May be the reason Insurance cost TWICE as much for a Full Timer. :)

The cost hasn't keep me from Full Time for over 17 years now. Nor will it for the next several years..

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

My fulltimer insurance did cost more than my now less-than-fulltimer insurance, although not twice as much. As for Coach-Net, I have never seen anything from them making a fulltimer distinction ...as far as I know they have three plans and anyone can buy whichever plan they want. Did I miss something with Coach-Net?

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

When we switched t fulltimer insurance I think our rate went up about $200, did not think that was excessive. Also I don't recall any increase in CoachNet which may be a special policy from our broker, not sure anymore. But it was the normal price.

Have no information on Coach-Net, but as with any vendor you have the right to shop around and find a better deal. We use Foremost as our carrier and it is not the cheapest one around I would guess but it offers to cover our F450 and the 39' Toyhauler which Progressive would not and Farmers who we were with for over 25 years would not. As long as they reimburse you for your losses without cancelling you or raising your rates to run you off then all is good. Insurance, tags, inspections, health insurance, burial insurance, dog groomers, hair dressers, barbers, husbands, wives, and so much more are all necessary to life - OH, sorry I lost my head and started rambling again.

Have no information on Coach-Net, but as with any vendor you have the right to shop around and find a better deal. We use Foremost as our carrier and it is not the cheapest one around I would guess but it offers to cover our F450 and the 39' Toyhauler which Progressive would not and Farmers who we were with for over 25 years would not. As long as they reimburse you for your losses without cancelling you or raising your rates to run you off then all is good. Insurance, tags, inspections, health insurance, burial insurance, dog groomers, hair dressers, barbers, husbands, wives, and so much more are all necessary to life - OH, sorry I lost my head and started rambling again.

Farmers owns Foremost. Foremost called our Dodge 3500 dually a Motor Home. :rolleyes:

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

Coach Net does not charge any extra for a fulltimer, but perhaps they should? The longest we have been in our RV in any one year since we stopped travel fulltime is 5 consecutive months or 6 months out of a year. Most snowbirds spend 4 to 5 months per year and some insurance underwriters require them to be covered as fulltime. Since my fulltimer policy had coverage that I rely on my homeowner's insurance for now, I think it was a pretty good buy. While it did cost more than coverage when you have a home owner policy, it was not nearly as much as I pay for the two combined.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I got fulltimer insurance simply by calling Foremost directly; agreed-value coverage and some increased liability with no problems. It is NOT CHEAP but it's radically different than an ordinary motor vehicle policy.

I have history with Foremost; an adjustor showed up after Hurricane Charlie before we've even got power back and wrote a very generous check for the damage without any runaround or shenanigans.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

Yeah I agree full timers probably are a different risk than sticks and bricks dwellers. But remember the insurance company is just a business who's goal is to make money. If the majority of people live in stationary homes and only a minority choose to live in mobile homes, they must be passionate enough about it to be willing to pay a little more for the privilege.

I suspect in addition to calculating the cost of the risk coverage they are selling and adding their 6% or whatever competitive industry profit is, they also likely throw on a few percent extra just because the target group seem to be willing to pay it.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

Give Miller Insurance Co in Oregon a call (they advertise in the Escapees magazine) and they'll search around for a good price for you with multiple companies. We've used GMAC, Progressive and National Interstate over the years. We're not loyal to one company. We shop around every few years for the best price and prices for the exact same coverage can be all over the place.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Our son is in the Insurance Industry for one of the top 3 companies. He has been in product development for RV and also prior underwriting.

He frequently points out that whether we like it or not fulltime insurance is actually a niche market. All the companies try hard to provide good product but those same companies insures millions more other vehicles (cars, trucks,etc) and probable way more occasional RVs.

That does not mean that those companies are not ignoring our market or us as customers, but we are also not their big money makers.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Just to put this to bed,I hope.

I just spoke to my insurance agent about another subject and brought up the subject of theft when not in your car or the RV. It is fully covered by your full-timers insurance. She said full-timers insurance is the equivalent of homeowners insurance. Now if your insurance doesn't cover this I would look for someone else. We had a neighbor who had GS insurance and did not have full glass coverage. They did not realize this until we brought the subject up(we were having a chipped fixed). We like to use a good broker who specializes in insuring RVs so that nothing slips through the cracks.

Archived