South Dakota Drivers License.

I have had my mail box in Box Elder for a few months and am finally trying to get my Drivers License. My plan is to leave Sunday early morning from Des Moines and visit Yankton S.D. to stay overnight and obtain the proper reciepts and visit the county Treasurer. Problem is I am not getting any thing but a busy signal when I attempt to call. The DMV services do not have Monday office hours and I can't seem to make it any other times. Any suggestions?

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

You can go anywhere in SD to get your license since you are already established as a resident. We have our mail forwarding in Emery, a very small town. The DMV also has limited hours, our mail forwarding service told us to go to Sioux Falls since we were heading east. We did, used 3 parking meters downtown and got our licenses. When we renewed we went to Mitchell. Go to a bigger city that's open every day. Mitchell is. Just make sure you have the documents they request. Your mail service should be able to tell you what cities you can go to

Jan & Thomas

2012 Drv Mobile Suite 5'r

2012 Ford F350 Super Duty

Rod, none of the SD DMV offices are open Mondays, even the larger city offices are only Tues - Fri.

Yankton is open Tues, Thur, Fri

You will have to adjust your sched to comply with the bureaucrats

https://dps.sd.gov/licensing/driver_licensing/by_city.aspx#Yankton

edit; I take that back, it looks like Sioux Falls is the only one open Mon

Jim

We did our origu all at Sioux Falls. If its open on Monday be there when its opening otherwise you may be in a long wait.

Make sure bring all of the required documents from each category.

You can't just do it with your current license and the lodging receipts.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

You can't just do it with your current license and the lodging receipts.

The documentation issue is primarily if you've never had a federally compliant license before.

If you have passports that's all you need from an ID perspective. If you're a married woman, as long as your passport is in your current name you don't need documentation for name changes. There's a lot of misinformation floating around the web on this.

As for proof of Social Security number you DO NOT have to have an actual SSA card. Any W-2 or 1099 (other than one from your own business) will work. Again there's a huge amount of misinformation on this.

Once you've been issued a "compliant" license you won't have to show this documentation again. We just renewed our SD licenses and all we had to have were a couple of pieces of mail addressed to us at the mailbox BUT those had to have "meters" or cancellations that showed the date. Mail with printed postage label with no dates wasn't acceptable.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

If your wife wants a DL, make sure her name is on the overnight accommodation receipt. She must prove an overnight too.

Also, for the wife, make sure the SSA card name matches the current drivers license, and the second picture id, exactly.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Thanks all for the info. Finally got the phone answered and found out most of the info late yesterday afternoon. Will try to be the first on in line on Monday morning in Sioux Falls. To get an appointment they were currently booked out 9 days.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We just walked into the office in Rapid City and took a number, they told us we had to fill out the form before we approached the desk. By the time we filled in the form they called our name!

Be aware that the licensing office is separate from the tags and title office (or at least it was in Rapid City) they were a couple of miles apart. Get your DL first then go register the vehicles if that's what you want to do.

Oh yes be prepared with the UNLADEN weight of your RV, the taxes are based on weight so find the weight sticker on the rig and take a photo of it. That unladen not GVWR. That one delayed everything by a couple of hours and we had the rig close by, if you don't have it with you you'll have to find some way of taking a picture and getting it sent to you.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

The documentation issue is primarily if you've never had a federally compliant license before.

If you have passports that's all you need from an ID perspective. If you're a married woman, as long as your passport is in your current name you don't need documentation for name changes. There's a lot of misinformation floating around the web on this.

As for proof of Social Security number you DO NOT have to have an actual SSA card. Any W-2 or 1099 (other than one from your own business) will work. Again there's a huge amount of misinformation on this.

Once you've been issued a "compliant" license you won't have to show this documentation again. We just renewed our SD licenses and all we had to have were a couple of pieces of mail addressed to us at the mailbox BUT those had to have "meters" or cancellations that showed the date. Mail with printed postage label with no dates wasn't acceptable.

I don't believe I was spreading misinformation. Only suggesting to be prepared. There are many people who may not have had to upgrade their current DL yet even if they live in a a state that has become "Real ID compliant"

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

docj, on 15 Jun 2016 - 6:22 PM, said:

... We just renewed our SD licenses and all we had to have were a couple of pieces of mail addressed to us at the mailbox BUT those had to have "meters" or cancellations that showed the date. Mail with printed postage label with no dates wasn't acceptable.

Did you also have to provide another signed Fulltime Traveler Affidavit and one night lodging receipt? It wasn't clear if those were going to be required for SD renewals, after going through the initial Real ID process.

Jim

Did you also have to provide another signed Fulltime Traveler Affidavit and one night lodging receipt? It wasn't clear if those were going to be required for SD renewals, after going through the initial Real ID process.

Yes, the DPS folks have the blank affidavit forms and will give you one. And, yes the lodging receipt is required for the renewal but it can be for any time within the past 12 months and that's also true of the pieces of mail you have to present, they have to be within the last 12 months.

As for the lodging receipt, it's also supposed to have your SD address on it although ours didn't and there wasn't a problem.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I don't believe I was spreading misinformation. Only suggesting to be prepared. There are many people who may not have had to upgrade their current DL yet even if they live in a a state that has become "Real ID compliant"

And my response started with the disclaimer that the documentation was primarily needed if you didn't yet have a "compliant" license.

I wasn't accusing you of passing misinformation but there are lots of people online in the RV community who have gotten people all riled up about needing to get new SSA cards when, in fact, the SSA website itself tries to talk you out of getting a new one by stating that any W-2 or 1099 or SSA benefit statement can be used.

Similarly, there are people online who continue to try to convince wives that they need to be able to document all their name changes when, in fact, this is only an issue if you are using a birth certificate as proof of citizenship. If you have a passport in your current name that's all you need.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Similarly, there are people online who continue to try to convince wives that they need to be able to document all their name changes when, in fact, this is only an issue if you are using a birth certificate as proof of citizenship. If you have a passport in your current name that's all you need.

I know that's what happened to me in FL. I had every piece of paper known to man, and the clerk plucked out my passport. That's all she wanted. I suspect it's the same in SD. All the work has been done in getting your passport to verify you are who you say you are.

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver-(the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ
2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

The Sioux Falls vehicle license department had a special window for the handicapped when we were there. If you qualify, that line tends to be much shorter and there was a bench where I could sit while I waited my turn. I got my standard plates plus two hangtags right there and then.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We got our DL's in Custer. Worked because we were there for a rally. Thought we had everything needed passports, campground receipt, SS cards. Wrong, the SS card I've been carrying around since I was 12 was only the stub and not the real thing. Thanks mom. Had to go back to the trailer and pull out a W2 from the tax file. Funny thing when walked in and took numbers we were #3 and #4 after driving back to the campground and returning I was #5.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

• 1 month later...

Does it have top be an actual "original" paper that was truly sent to the PMB?

That's what they wanted when we were there. They even made sure that the envelopes had actual mailing dates (even if they were "meter" dates). They wouldn't accept the "prepaid mailing" stuff printed on an envelope if it wasn't accompanied by a date.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

When we got our licenses a year ago this month we picked up our mail at our mail service in Sioux Falls, then headed over to get the license. We had all of our mail with us, so they could use whatever they wanted. They picked a couple of magazines.

The biggest problem we ran into was trying to register to vote. We tried to do so when we got the driver's licenses, but the paperwork was rejected. Our receipt was from a State park south of Sioux Falls, but in a different county. We were going to be in the area for some time anyway, so we simply stayed at the Fairgrounds in Sioux Falls for a few days while we got the voter registration changed. The whole process was really pretty simple. We did have to have cash for the vehicle license, but there is an ATM just down the hall. I don't think that we spent even an hour altogether in the two buildings. (The driver's license office is in a different building than where the voter registration and license plates are.)

Our two vehicles' license plates come due in June each year, and that was handled by mail. Driver's licenses are good for five years and expire on your birthday, so we don't know yet what renewal will be like, but getting the initial licenses (both driver's and vehicle) was pretty easy.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived