The DW has seen a few king pin locks. Those that go over the King pin so someone can not hook up to your fifth wheel.

She feels that we need one. I say I think they may be a waste.

At times during our discussions she has almost gotten to the point of yelling.

So now I put it up to you folks.

Yea or nah.

Help before she decides to bury me.

See you on the road!

Nope.... If you want the RV that bad, you get 2 cats and a dog with it.

That's what insurance is for......

Besides, a strange truck backs up to the rv, they have to put the slides in, unhook water sewer power, operate landing gear and leveling, remove any between the wheels chocking.... and in my case rewire the 7- way plug to operate with their truck....

All without attracting attention by anyone in the park...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We have one and I used it for the first couple of years. Frankly I've decided that there is no need for it as I simply can't imagine someone pulling up to our fully set up RV and going to all of the trouble necessary to get it ready for travel. But it is a simple, inexpensive device and I'd put it back on in a second if it kept my wife happy!!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I purchased one when my truck died and the trailer was sitting in the yard all packed up & ready to be towed while the truck was being fixed. As stated above, when parked with levelers & slides extended it's probably not necessary. If you ever have to unhook and leave the trailer sitting somewhere, I'd think you'd want to secure it. JMHO

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

As was already said, in most situations they don't make much sense as the risk of theft of just the fiver is pretty low.

There are situations when one makes sense like where we used to live, only a few miles from the un-fenced US Mexico border with plenty of passable roads leading across. The fiver sat unattended in a neighborhood with almost nobody around during the work day. We got a decent lock and kept it on, after painting it a bright color so it showed up well from the road. Neighbors used chains through the wheels but I thought that was more work and less visible than the pin lock. Other neighbors used nothing and never had a problem but a couple places within five miles of us lost fivers over about 10 years.

Unless you are in a high risk situation or the wife really wants one skip it. If you do get one, get a decent one or it will be wasted money as a thief will just pop it off or the wife will find out it is junk as soon as she checks on it on Amazon's reviews or Google.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Thanks everyone. Showed her your replies. We will purchase one if we need to leave the rv closed up but looks like she has decided that having one on a setup rv is not necessary.

Thank you all. Now we can go back to normal

See you on the road!

I once watched a tow company pull a pin locked 5'ver out of a campground storage lot. All they did was extend a wheel lift stinger under the front frame and strap the landing legs to it before lifting it.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Jerry, dupes are not a problem, someone will be along to hide them at some point.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I use a short piece of chain, enough to make it twice around the pin, and a big padlock. Only use it when the rig is in storage mode with the sides in.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Archived