Portable Air Compressor

hobopals

Any opinions as to the best 30 amp/12 volt portable air compressor under $175? I had one with my previous trailer. I can'5 rememberthe make and model. It was loud and took a while but I could do my truck and trailer all in one sitting. Unfortunately, It went with the trailer.

I have two others, but on my recent trip to Colorado, one working on 30 amp the other on 12 volt, both started to smoke after a few moments. Thanks in advance for any input.

We have memories so that we might have roses in December.

http://travelswithmrnimble.blogspot.com/

We have been quite satisfied with the small one we got from Sears. However, it is to big for the used Roadtrek we used to go through Newfoundland and Labrador, so we bought one of the small 12 V systems. We never used it; however, we spent the night at a New York State rest stop (on the toll road New York Turnpike) and a guy saw me checking oil, water, etc at around 6:45 am and he asked if I had a compressor since he found his spare was flat (he knew of a tire shop about 8 miles away). I had never use this compressor and it filled the tire of his small van to 60# in only a few minutes. It might take quite a while to fill a 5th wheel tire to 80# but it seems sufficient for the Roadtrek

Are you looking for a compressor with an air tank or just a tire inflator? If jusg a tire inflator, I have a Viair 88p, excellent reviews and viair is well regarded in the 4x4 community. Pumps up to my necessary 80 psi quickly and without much noise. Requires being attached directly to the battery. I also have a smaller viair for backup that plugs into the 12v accy socket and is still pretty powerful.

I am on the hunt for a small efficient tank compressor tho as well, either 12v or 120v, since I find myself needing/wanting to use compressed air quite often..... the 88p doesnt have a pressure trigger otherwise I would use that.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

Harbor Freight has a decent Vair clone ... not quite as capable but also not quite as expensive.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12volt-150-psi-compact-air-compressor-69285.html

I have one of those units and it has served me well for about 6 years. It's "problem" is condensation in compressed air. It generates a lot of moisture at the end of the fill hose. Eliminated that with a tiny inline moisture trap.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Having grown up on a service station driveway, the issue I have with tankless inflators is water. Compressing air causes water in the air to condense. Without a tank, all this moisture gets pumped into the tire. With a tank, there is a release/drain valve on the bottom to periodically drain the water (we drained the compressor every day at the service station) - much less water/moisture makes it into the tire. I have seen situations where people used the tankless inflators at service stations (the ones off to the side where you insert quarters) and ended up with enough water in the tires to cause significant balance problems at highway speeds.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I have a Viar and a Kensung. They got the job done, but they were smoking. It may have been just running them too long. I have big truck tires and four trailer tires. I wish I could remember the name of the one I had with my other trailer. It was a black rectangular box, ran on dc power and as long as I ran it, it never overheated. I'd rather fill up at a gas station, but in the populated area I live in, it's generally very hard to maneuver into the space with the truck and trailer. Thank you, everyone, for your advice and suggestions. I bought the one I had for my last trailer at Ace Hardware. I think I'm going to take another look there.

Home Depot has a Husky line of either 12V or 120V mini tankless units. We carry one of the 120V units to handle bike, and auto tires. The RV tires we use the onboard air system, with an Air Doubler. Though I admit, I've only used it once to see how it works. As I usually time checking my coaches air tires while at campgrounds that have a good size compressor. For example, I set them with our pancake compressor in May, before heading out on this years trip. It was just about 4 weeks ago, that I drove over to the tool shop at Evergreen and topped all the tires back up. (My tires are set 10% over the required PSI for the weights they carry. So them dropping a bit is not a real concern. Our rears run at 105, and after about 7K miles and almost 4 months, they we're down 2-3 PSI. Steers even less of a drop.

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-120-Volt-Inflator-HY120/202871788

This is the one that for such a low price, has performed well for the easier duty I use it for... They have one very similar, that is the 12V unit. The 120V uint seems to be built well. And at this price, not losing too much if I lose it along the way, and or only get 10 years of usage out of it...

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

• 4 months later...

I bought a

Kensun AC/DC Rapid Performance Portable Air Compressor Tire Inflator with Digital Display for Home (110V) and Car (12V) - 30 Litres/Min on sale and I'm very happy with it. I can set the amount of pressure I want and it shuts off automatically and is faster than the one I had. Thank you to all for suggestions.

• 1 month later...

I have used this one for years. Easy to stow, 110v cord to outside RV outlet , hook up air-line and Bob's your Uncle.I know it is not 12v , but there are many cheap 12v units out there . This Makita is a quiet oil bath lubricated unit that will last forever.It has a tank drain valve to drain any condensation. I bring it inside to use in my garage when not travelling. YMMV.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC700-Big-Bore-Compressor/dp/B0001Q2VK0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492266439&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Makita+air+compressor&psc=1

999651_400x400.jpg

I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake----which I also keep handy.
2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7L CCLWB
2019 Airstream 25FB

VisitedStatesMap.jpg

Archived