Black Tank Number of Days

The grey fills up quicker, but is easier to dump so it all balances out pretty well for us.

Just curious....why would the grey be easier to dump? All you do is pull the lever for both.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

About the same unless you like to flush the black tank and/or flush any black sludge out of your dump hose. We almost always flushed the black tank when we dumped and always flushed the hose after dumping the black tank.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

If your black tank is your limiting factor: if you can bring yourself to put used TP in a zip-top bag you can wait longer between dumps. Not everyone can do this.

As to showers, I wet a washcloth and used it to clean my body every day then applied fresh deodorant. I only showered once a week to wash my hair. No one complained or pulled away from me when talking so I guess that worked.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

About the same unless you like to flush the black tank and/or flush any black sludge out of your dump hose. We almost always flushed the black tank when we dumped and always flushed the hose after dumping the black tank.

O.K. We used the grey water tank to flush out the black and didn't flush the tank on every dump. We just put a few gallons in the black tank to start. We felt that if using the RV constantly and dumping every 10-12 days, it stays flushed out enough. Just our thought and it worked for us.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Just curious....why would the grey be easier to dump? All you do is pull the lever for both.

Lots of places are okay with you dumping the grey into the dirt, etc. When backcountry it is pretty common to dump your grey as you leave but haul the black out with you. (We have a macerator so are able to pump it a ways from the campsite.)

We've been lucky and never had a problem with solids buildup in the black tank (firm believers in Happy Camper here), and of course black really should go into a sanitary sewer (or toilet)

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

O.K. We used the grey water tank to flush out the black and didn't flush the tank on every dump. We just put a few gallons in the black tank to start. We felt that if using the RV constantly and dumping every 10-12 days, it stays flushed out enough. Just our thought and it worked for us.

We do the same. 10 yrs, never had a problem. But then we believe in lots of water - that always seems to be the key plush NOT dumping until it is about 2/3 or more full.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

linda Sand....I'm afraid I dont understand the tp in the ziploc bag idea.....the tp disolves into almost nothing in the tanks and in my opinion hardly takes up any space.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I sure wouldn't want to combine the black and grey tanks!! What if you filled too high and it backed up into the shower? Emptying the grey which has a smaller outlet could pose problems with toilet paper. Just the thought of black water being so close to the kitchen plumbing. Uck!!

The link says they have a composting toilet=no black water. They are combining both the grey and unused black tank. That I could live with.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

If you want to become skilled at boondock water management, go backpacking a few times. It really teaches you how to NOT use water you don't have to.

So true. Reconstituted wet wipes with hot water are a treat after several days. The other "advantage" a backpacker has is campfire fragrance.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

linda Sand....I'm afraid I dont understand the tp in the ziploc bag idea.....the tp disolves into almost nothing in the tanks and in my opinion hardly takes up any space.

Tell that to the owner of a Class B with a 10 gallon black tank. Your version of "almost nothing" and theirs will differ. That's why we so often say YMMV on here.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

If you spend some time in Latin America (using local plumbing) you will be amazed at how quickly you get used to putting the tp in a bag and not in the bowl. I never delved too deeply into it, just took it as gospel that they had good reason for the custom.

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

Archived