True cost of solar installation?

youngfulltimers

Motivated people that are even a little handy can do the job.

So I think motivation is the biggest ingredient. Understanding the design principles is critical. And not rushing the job is key to success.

I quit doing installs because it was too difficult to deal with many of the owners.

...in my experience it is simply not worth the pain, on balance. Bob has discovered the same thing.

I completely agree. It can be a little intimidating at first, but taken one step at a time.. and assuming a person can identify which end of a screwdriver is the business end... it's not rocket science. There's great joy seeing the look on a persons face that has done their own install.. turn on their nuker for a few seconds for the first time without a cord and they realize, "I did that!" ;)

On balance... not always, but in general, there is nothing worse than trying to work with someone that is trying to salvage a poor paid installation they've already paid out the nose for. In my experience.. that generally falls into the 'majority' category in the commercial sector. I'm not "quite" as cynical/vocal as Bob, but I certainly understand his frustrations! :lol:

I never got into installations for a paycheck. Seems like that would have taken all kinds of joy out of an endeavor, but I've never minded getting my hands dirty along side an individual that's put in their due diligence and are willing to learn.

The moral of the story... with all the free resources available (written as well as individuals willing to lend their expertise) just about anyone is more than capable and are far better off in the whole scheme of things for doing so.

Archived