For those who are considering "Basement Air"

lappir

I have the Coleman Mach in the "possum belly" of my Spacecraft trailer. It's a little cool in North Florida this morning. I keep my inside temperatures maybe a little lower than most, but have learned I need to have the "Heat Pump" running some to decrease the inside humidity and decrease the condensation I have on some of the metal that extends from the outside of the trailer to the inside.

I didn't consider the effects of where the HVAC unit was mounted during the build. I have learned in the past few years that it actually does make a significant difference on where it's mounted and where the supply and return runs are located.

My supply to the center ceiling vents in the Spacecraft come up an exterior wall. There is a bit of insulation over the run, but I am not sure just how much. I do know if my trailer is facing North and South and the afternoon sun is striking the same side, my A/C runs a lot more than if I would turn the trailer around. It takes time to push out the hot air and start getting cool air. The reverse is true when it's cooler and may be more noticeable to some. Having the supply along an interior wall would be much better. The return going to the exterior would effect the efficiency much less I believe.

The first room for the vent of the supply is in my bathroom. I can close the door and make it really cool or really warm, but it leaves the rest of the trailer with steadily increasing or decreasing temperatures at each end of the trailer. If it's really hot or cold I do close the vents in my garage space and close the door between the garage and living space.

If I ever have to replace my HVAC unit I will request that change with the new instillation.

These are my personal opinions and I have no science or actual build experience, what I think may work, may not be any better. Consider accordingly.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

The best thing about the basement air we had in our previous Class A was the ability to hold a conversation while it was running. None of our roof air options allowed that. Just one more thing to consider.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

The best thing about the basement air we had in our previous Class A was the ability to hold a conversation while it was running. None of our roof air options allowed that. Just one more thing to consider.

Linda Sand

We have what I believe to be OEM DuoTherm , 13.5 BTU AC units ( 2 ) , perched atop our class A 2000 Monaco Monarch 34PBD .

They are a bit louder running than not , but not nearly loud enough to halt any conversation . Note that we only run one at a time . Both at once would freeze us .

Maybe you simply had the misfortune to have had inferior units ? I know some are not built with quiet in their design , but ...

Goes around , comes around .

I have a Basement AC Unit. About a year ago i had to have it replaced. One Compressor went bad. I have never owned a Unit with Top AC, But i have been In a Few. The First Duct is in Bedroom. I have to shut one off during Summer as it gets too cold. The Drain is of course under unit (outside). In the future i maybe trading it in. Hopefully to get one with basement ac .

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Any chance you folks that have "quiet" units sharing with the rest of us what A/C unit you have and in what in type of rig set up?

Might be more helpful than just saying mine is "different" than yours!

Of course . I edited my above post .

Goes around , comes around .

I would say don't consider it but that's my opinion. We had a 2004 Itasca Horizon for 11 years and we had nothing but trouble with it. We went thru a couple compressors and had the main line from the unit that runs up the rear cap redone because it had ruptured and was cooling the engine and not the inside. It never would get cold enough to our liking. We finally ended up buying a stand alone ac from Lowes's and venting it out a window next to the kitchen when we were parked and that helped. Poor design. Don't know if anyone still uses it in new RV's anymore.

Jim & Linda Kelly

2015 F-350 DRW 2WD 14k gvwr

2016 Outdoors Wind River 270cisw

Archived