Setting Up A HomeBase

Our issues are unique, 3 adults, two 62 years old and our 30 year old son with Down syndrome, add 2 larger dogs 10+. Our limited relatives are in states where we don't want to use their addresses as a home address, so we need a real address. I know many use the mail services in TX, FL and SD. We have to look to the future of our son needing day/residential services with TX and FL having very long lists, waiting for years to get a slot and SD being just too far away to be practical although at this time they don't have a waiting list for services for my son although one thing we found was that doesn't mean the services actually have a slot but that the money can be allocated.

I have looked at co-ops, these generally limit the membership to 2 adults as do parks that sell lots under an HOA. Both allow relatives to stay maybe a couple weeks a year.

If anyone has any ideas or have heard of something that might work, please share as I would really appreciate it. We would like a lot that could be comfortable in both summer and winter and we have lived through hot and cold many times but currently the next 4 days will be below freezing during the day, so not here in KS unless, after just selling a house, we buy another which has not been the intention of downsizing the way we just did. It is very hard to find lots for sale on the internet unless they are high end resort types, which is nothing we could afford or that would be a "fit".

Thoughts appreciated since we are hoping to leave next week if the weather is warm enough to head some where.

Cathy

Each of the co-op parks make their own rules so it might be that they could make an exception but you would need to contact each one since they are independent. I can tell you that such rules are not always such that an exception could be made since there are times that local regulations are part of this. We home-base in a co-op community where the 2 person rule was waived for a couple with a terminal cancer patient daughter, but it was somewhat risky because our septic system approval from the TCEQ states that only two people per home are allowed, due to the capacity that we have.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have asked a couple of the co-op parks already when either they didn't have their by-laws online or state plainly that they only allowed 2 adults per unit.

At this point, we are looking at AZ, NM, MS and AL. I have lived in 3 of those states in the past and traveled thru one a few times. We are looking for lower cost of living especially since our income has been earned where the cost of living and wages were lower making retirement savings and SS less. We are lucky to both have VA Healthcare though! I know that TX might offer us better options when it comes to RV lots but since they have over 150,000 people on the waiting for services (for the disabled) and only presently serve 21,000, I think there waiting list may be worse than FL and at some point we will no longer be able to properly care for our son in our home. The better programs are generally not accepting new applicants as that is what has happened here in KS. The two programs we wanted have no opening and cannot anticipate when they will.

I have been surprised to see how many people do travel with either an adult child with disabilities or other relative, usually older. I think it is great to load up grandma and take her along and sure wish I had that option!

My motto in getting through the downsizing and all the details has for sure become "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." Attitude is everything!

I guess we can rent sites staying within one state moving around, changing our address and AZ would be the most likely candidate for doing that, moving north and south with the weather. We love AZ, so that would not be that bad to start out with and tweak as we go along.

Thanks for the responses. I generally don't like to ask for "special" treatment when it comes to our son unless it is absolutely necessary which is rare. He is lower functioning, quiet and well-behaved and no one ever has an issue with him yet there are people who might be uncomfortable with the idea of his presence. Mostly homeschooled by me, much having to do with my feeling that his social skills and behavior were more important than learning his colors.

Everything is SO complicated with all the rules and regulations in place with local, state and federal government. In AZ, I became aware of "capacity" when it came to the septic system. It was great moving around the country and will be great, one way or the other again!

Anyway, thanks for any and all responses.

Cathy

There are lots available in Yuma that allow RV's. It can be hot there in the summer but nice in the winter. There are also lots available around Showlow. Around Kingman, land is less expensive and depending on elevation it might be a compromise between hot and cold.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Thanks, Randy. My husband is going to look at Yuma. We appear to be well insulated. We did down to -9 and -5 a couple of weeks ago easily maintaining 68 to 70 degrees inside. I would think that insulation would compute to doing well in hot temps without the "freezing" element for tanks/lines being an issue which it was, but considering everything, we did very well. We hope to volunteer for a campsite part of the year and the hot part of the year would probably have more opportunities.

Cathy

Rather than a RV park perhaps look into a mobile home park. They sometimes have open sites available for parking a RV. We've stayed at a few while traveling and they can be cheaper than a RV park. Perhaps you could even get a mobile home for one of your seasons and taking the RV somewhere else for the other season. Best of luck to you. You sound like a very strong person!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We hope to volunteer for a campsite part of the year and the hot part of the year would probably have more opportunities.

We have done a lot of the volunteer for site locations and consider it a great way to live on the road for those who enjoy feeling that they have contributed something and who need a purpose. You should make sure that potential locations know there are three of you as it might matter in some locations. I think that must about any campground host position in our public parks could be a good fit and that same thing is true in many other type of position as well. With the right position, your son might also be able to take part and I suspect that could be a very good thing.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I already know that "3" is an issue with Kansas State Parks. I wrote inquiring and didn't hear back. In this case, I do have an issue as we are all KS residents and pay into keeping that system afloat! I deserved an answer to my inquiry in this case. I am looking at volunteer.gov and looking more for those that include "family" in who the jobs would be appropriate for.

Mobile homes parks might be a choice, combo MHP/RV park we did in the past a couple of times.

Being a "very strong person" is not an asset except maybe in keeping one's sanity when trying to navigate today's world.

Cathy

Just because you didn't hear back from Kansas State Parks please don't assume it was because of any 'issue'. It's common when applying for a volunteer position not to hear back. It's unfortunate but that's how it is.

Do you have a phone number where you could call them directly and ask for the volunteer coordinator? For instance, Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park where we have volunteered utilizes 1,000+ volunteers so you can imagine how many have applied but didn't get in. Most national parks will have a big group to draw from but do take on an amazing amount of people.

We have found that it can help to be in the park when you seek a position. We've gotten some of our gigs that way. If you're able to talk directly with them is a big plus. So, as you travel, if you come to a place you really like, talk to them while you're still there.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We did not apply since Kansas limits the RV site to only 2 adults. I wrote the administrative contact to inquire about a 3rd person and it was a couple of months ago. I think they get enough volunteers that they just really don't care. I should have contacted my congress person and had him make an inquiry. With government agencies, I am willing to rock the boat, it is a paying taxes thing.

We leave next week for some where yet to be decided, have noted many RV parks are full in warmer temps. Done with the freezing temps. Today's high was 18 and the rv park water is frozen. : (

Cathy

• 2 weeks later...

From friends with a similar situation, their only choices for good care and assistance were NY, MA, and MN. A very sad state of affairs.

One thing that many may not think about when setting up a homebase is that those states that have waiting lists for people with disabilities usually also have them for services for the elderly. For those that feel they may need assistance should their needs defeat their bank accounts/insurance, it might be something worth looking at.

Cathy

Archived