Washington State as a F/Ter Domicile

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you already have a driver's license from another state it turns out that you don't need a street address to get a WA driver's license. Your Social Security Number is enough: http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/moving.html. You will need to be IN the state in order to do this. (But you also need to be IN the states of TX, SD and FL to establish a domicile there.)

There are email forwarding services in WA. Traveling Mailbox has a Seattle address. http://travelingmailbox.com/addresses#can-i-receive-mail-from-banks-and-government-institutions-such-as-the-irs. However, since you no longer need to prove a street address it may be possible to use any mail forwarder (including SKP).

If you own a motor home with a GVW exceeds 26,001 pounds you do not have to get a special driver's license; a regular driver's license will do. No test required if presenting from any US state (see link for others).

License registration renewal fees per year for a motor home (regardless of weight) registered in WA are $111.75 plus $5 if you renew at an agent. http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/fees.html

(Renwals in TX are a lot higher file:///home/craig/Downloads/FeeChart_1C.pdf

You can renew WA vehicle license tabs online: https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/tabs/

The only question now is whether there is a mail-forwarder outside the counties that require a vehicle inspection that will be acceptable to the WA DoL. (You do not need an inspecation in WA - even in counties that require it - if your diesel RV is newer than 2007 or older than 1990 (25 years old or older). http://www.emissiontestwa.com/e/faq.aspx#3

If you like TX or SD or FL that's fine. And if you don't like WA that's fine too. But for full-timers who live west of the Rockies and who do not want to go to TX for a vehicle registration inspection or to take the Class A or Class B non-commercial driver's license examination to operate a motor home weighin more than 26,000 pounds. Or to SD (you must be present in SD for 24 hours in order to establish a domicile there) or to FL then WA is a viable alternative.

WDL

I'm not sure where you're getting your info with regard to South Dakota, but (some of it at least) is wrong, unless something has changed in the last seven months. I changed my domicile from Washington state to South Dakota in late March and there was no 24 hour requirement. I DID have to show a receipt that indicated I was in the state (hotel bill in this case) but you can check into a hotel late in the evening and check out early the next morning and get the same receipt you would if you stayed in it for 24 hours. We stayed in the hotel less than 12 hours and the receipt we got for it was proof enough.

You also haven't mentioned some of the negative issues about Washington. They tend to be pretty picky about people doing jury duty (at least in King County). They allowed the option of rescheduling the date you were to show up for jury duty, to a date within 12 months of the original summons, but they were opposed to letting people out of jury duty completely - solely because they are full timers. In South Dakota, they generally will let you out of jury duty completely, if you call them and tell them you are a full time traveler when you get a summons for jury duty. There is no doubt you can ignore your summons in Washington and they are unlikely to do anything about it, but if you try to get out of jury duty by following the rules, it's not going to happen in King County.

You can renew your license tabs in SD online too.

Personally, I liked living in Washington for the 35+ years that I did (far better than the years I lived in California), but there were many reasons that made South Dakota a better choice as a domicile for me, now that I'm full time RVing.

Don

To me, the most important thing about this and similar threads is that it brings a lot of misconceptions about specific places to the surface. Others are continually investigating the residency issue for various reasons and just demonstrating that common cliche' statements about a particular state might not be completely accurate no matter how often they are repeated.

The value is in the contrasting information that gets worked through. It's like having autocorrect for commonly accepted FT residency terms, stats and concepts. The first choice is not necessarily the most accurate but others are always presented in the list. Autocorrect does not invest emotionally in the choices it presents but sometimes, contributing authors do and while it does drive more dialogue it is not particularly helpful on its own but the information can still be helpful.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

While WA is a nice state, it would not be my choice for domicile for many of the reasons listed above.

It may have nice weather in the summer but the wet and overcast that is much of the rest of the year is not to my liking.

It is to cold in the winter. Number of sunny days per year is something that I look at. SD is nice in the summer but not the rest of the year

and health care is an issue there partly because of an older population and few health insurance carriers. People do mention the 3% tax on

new autos and RVs. That leaves TX and Florida and while Florida is a kind state to seniors, the cost of living can be higher then many parts of Texas.

Also the fact that I own a small ranch in SE Texas makes it very good for us with the real drawback being the weather in late spring, summer and early fall.

IMHO it is the worst weather, from late spring thru most of the fall, in the country. Good Luck

We are in Sequim for the winter and so far, are loving it. Granted, we don't like hot, humid or mosquitoes and that significantly biases anywhere in the southern United states. Yes, a little snow is ok and a day or three of below freezing is also ok. I ignore the aberrations in weather that eventually happen everywhere and just ride them out.

So far, of the main 48 states we have traveled and lived in, this area where we are is clearly at the top of our list for now. I lived and worked in the San Francisco bay area for 11 years during 66 - 77 and have gotten well over my needs to rail on liberals, civil rights, politicians and the "other" class of citizens. That is the joy of true freedom... I don't HAVE to bash anyone to feel my own self worth. Long life = long lessons learned.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Are you telling us that you can use a temporary change of address over and over in place of using a mail service?

It might be possible to do just that. I don't know if one could change to "general delivery" address at a post office. Probably not.

We use it to change to an Arizona address. After I've submitted the change of address I then submit a "mail hold" at my Arizona address and then pick up the mail at the post office when I get there.

The usps.com requires a credit card and there is a one dollar charge to make the temporary change of address.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Having spent 45 years living in Florida, it will remain my domicile for the near term. Even though we are newbies at full timing, I have looked at traveling around as not just for the adventure but with an eye on where we might wish to land when the day arrives that we are no longer able ( or willing ) to continue living on the road. Conversations like this one are gems. I end up much more knowledgeable about a state I have not yet visited. Thank you, MR. Rat, for the birth of this thread.

06 Fleetwood Bounder dp 34h. Dragging around a 00" JGC 4wd

Having spent 45 years living in Florida, it will remain my domicile for the near term. Even though we are newbies at full timing, I have looked at traveling around as not just for the adventure but with an eye on where we might wish to land when the day arrives that we are no longer able ( or willing ) to continue living on the road. Conversations like this one are gems. I end up much more knowledgeable about a state I have not yet visited. Thank you, MR. Rat, for the birth of this thread.

If you already live in SD, TX or FL then it makes perfect sense to keep it as a domicile. CA and NY.... not so much; even though there are good reasons to visit both of those states (cautiously... both are serious about collecting taxes and CA, at least, takes the position that if they can make a case in court for you being a legal resident then they can - and will - attempt to collect state income tax on all income regardless of whether that income was earned in CA or not).

But if you live west of the Rocky Mountains and especially if you expect to spend time in WA at any point throughout the year, it makes WA a viable choice for a legal domicile. And if you own a big rig (over 26,000 lbs) doing so can save you serious money over Texas.

WDR

PS: Thanks for the "MR" :)

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

• 2 months later...

Just little FYI about Washington State. I just read an article last week naming Washington State one of the 10 worst states for Taxes. This even though we do not have an Income Tax.

Joe

Joe

The "Doghouse" 04 Tiffin Phaeton 40TGH

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

Y'all can have Washington State as far as I'm concerned. It's not the same place it was when I moved up here in 1978... I can't get outta here fast enough!

No offense to anyone... just sayin',

Phil

You don't have to actually LIVE in WA to be a resident (just like you don't have to actually live in SD, TX or FL to be a resident). It does mean you don't have to drive to SD, TX or FL to set up residency. Which can be a benefit to people living west of the Rockies.

And we taught our kids that if you have to say "no offense" that means you are going to offend.... and you know it.

No offense... just sayin'

Just little FYI about Washington State. I just read an article last week naming Washington State one of the 10 worst states for Taxes. This even though we do not have an Income Tax.

Joe

According to this web site (which gives more information than just numerical order) http://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-states-to-be-a-taxpayer/2416/ the state of WA ranks 5th. Better than TX (by over $1k in taxes) and just behind SD and FL (by about $100).

But sales tax is irrelevant if you aren't actually living in the state and buying things. Unless you need to buy a new RV and in that case WA is right in line with SD, FL and TX.

WDR

Ham Radio

The worst part of living in Washington is admitting that you live in Washington state. It is a corporate dominated state. Somebody should write a book.....sort of like the one on Anaconda Copper and the state of Montana a hundred years ago.

That said.....I agree with WA_desert_rat. There are worst states to be from. Would I change my domicle from Washington to elsewhere?? Only to get a resident hunting license from South Dakota.

The great thing about Washington is that taxes are optional (only exception is property taxes). You want a high income lifestyle...you will get taxed. You want to live a "ecologically sustainable lifestyle"....it is cheap.

AND nobody needs to live in King County or other urban parts of the state with all those regulations.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Are you saying that the taxes paid on the purchase of an RV in WA is the same as S.D.?

Hmm... it does look like I said that but the excise tax in WA would be considerably higher than in SD.

What I had meant to say was that the total tax difference between SD and WA (according to that link) was only about $100 per year with SD lower. But the excise tax on a new RV in SD is 3% while it's 8% in WA.

If you do buy a new RV while a resident of WA it will cost you more. But if you don't... then it won't. :P

But sales tax (unlike so many other taxes) is completely - and legally - avoidable; if you don't buy anything they tax, then you pay zero taxes.

WDR

Ham Radio

WDR,

Thank you for the quick reply... sounds like another good reason to change my domicile to S.D.

Phil

Are you planning to buy a new RV or toad? If you are, then it might be worth the trouble; remember you have to actually present yourself - in person - in SD in order to change your domicile. You have to do this in WA, TX and FL as well, but, depending upon where you are, it could be pretty expensive to choose one over the other.

If I were west of the Rockies a trip to SD would be pretty low on my list if it were just based on the chances that I might buy another RV in the next couple of years.

But if you plan to buy a new diesel pusher motor home then, yes, SD would be a logical choice. At least for a few years.

WDR

Ham Radio

Are you planning to buy a new RV or toad? If you are, then it might be worth the trouble; remember you have to actually present yourself - in person - in SD in order to change your domicile. You have to do this in WA, TX and FL as well, but, depending upon where you are, it could be pretty expensive to choose one over the other.

If I were west of the Rockies a trip to SD would be pretty low on my list if it were just based on the chances that I might buy another RV in the next couple of years.

But if you plan to buy a new diesel pusher motor home then, yes, SD would be a logical choice. At least for a few years.

WDR

WDR,

The answer is "yes" to both of those questions... fairly new anyway.

My understanding is that we do not have to show up in person in S.D. in order to change our domicile... we can do it pretty much over the phone. I've made a couple of phone calls on this and that's what I'm being told,

Anyone else care to share their opinion or experience on this?

Phil

WDR,

The answer is "yes" to both of those questions... fairly new anyway.

My understanding is that we do not have to show up in person in S.D. in order to change our domicile... we can do it pretty much over the phone. I've made a couple of phone calls on this and that's what I'm being told,

Anyone else care to share their opinion or experience on this?

Phil

I'm pretty sure you have to be there in person to get a driver's license. There was some mention of 24- hours but a post in this thread claimed that all they had to do was stay overnight in a hotel room; not the full 24 hours. I'm not sure that's much of a distinction.

WDR

Ham Radio

It has been a while since we did the change to SD but we could have dome most of the changes without visiting SD. There were two issues that did require us to visit.

Voting required us to be there to register but we could have skipped registering to vote in SD and simply un-registered ourselves in Arizona. That is a lot more aggravation than moving your voter's registration but it can be done.

Getting a driver's licence, had to show up and get a picture for the new licence. We could have surrendered our AZ licences, similar to the voting issue but that would leave us with no licence to drive and would have required us to take all the SD tests instead of having all but the vision test waived when we surrendered our AZ licence.

Much easier to just visit SD and get the driver's licence taken care of, you can do that anywhere in the state. Then un-register to vote in your old state but save registering in SD until you visit the address of your mail service.

Edit:

Voting requirement varies by county, some are pickier than others. Most will accept a campground or hotel receipt as proof, nobody asked how long we had stayed. Your mail service will have the rules for your county.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I'm pretty sure you have to be there in person to get a driver's license. There was some mention of 24- hours but a post in this thread claimed that all they had to do was stay overnight in a hotel room; not the full 24 hours. I'm not sure that's much of a distinction.

WDR

That is true for a driver's license but I don't need a S.D. license, at least not right away. I can keep my WA license.

Phil

That is true for a driver's license but I don't need a S.D. license, at least not right away. I can keep my WA license.

Phil

Then you will probably be charged WA sales tax on any vehicle you buy.

WDR

Ham Radio

Hmm... it does look like I said that but the excise tax in WA would be considerably higher than in SD.

What I had meant to say was that the total tax difference between SD and WA (according to that link) was only about $100 per year with SD lower. But the excise tax on a new RV in SD is 3% while it's 8% in WA.

If you do buy a new RV while a resident of WA it will cost you more. But if you don't... then it won't. :P

But sales tax (unlike so many other taxes) is completely - and legally - avoidable; if you don't buy anything they tax, then you pay zero taxes.

WDR

You can easily avoid sales taxes on a RV in Washington state.

When I was standing in line to pay my sales taxes on my new Dodge Ram Diesel at the county courthouse the gentleman in front of me took $32 from his wallet. He didn't speak English so I thought it might be interesting when he got to the window. The clerk gently explained that since the vehicle he was registering in his name was "gifted" THREE times before there was no charge for sales tax, but once a vehicle has been "gifted" more than three times there was a $32 charge for changing the registration.

Well, when I got to her I brightly told her that my good buddy Dave Smith over in Kellog, Idaho gifted this brand new one-ton Diesel Ram Pickup Truck and wasn't he such a nice guy!!! She didn't even smile when she said write the check for $3.468.21 for the Washington sales tax.

We did gift our daughters her vehicle to get her out of our liability zone when she moved to Seattle.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Archived