Where to spend the night before arrival?

We are now in the final planning stages for our trip to Essex Junction and have begun researching RV parks that will be a short distance out from the Champlain Valley Expo Center. Since the parking crew only works from 8 am to 2 pm, it would be nice to spend the night previous within an hour or two drive. If you are familiar with the area RV parks or if you have made reservations, how about sharing some advance knowledge with others?

Any thoughts?

Just in case you have not discovered it, the official Vermont Travel Guide is available free, by mail.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'll be arriving from the south, and want to be under an hour away.

Some of the I-87 parks might work for you if you take the Charlotte-Essex Ferry to cross the lake. May take more than an hour depending on the ferry schedule. DAR State Park is a little over 40 miles from the Expo Center on non-interstates.

Your original plan,

...it would be nice to spend the night previous within an hour or two drive...

would give you more options.

There are some listed nearby on the RV Park Reviews site. Looks like their pricey around $40. The one at New Haven sounds good and there is one at Shelburne, Colchester and others.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/vermont/new-haven

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

And my research including a phone call confirms that the local Wall Mart allows overnight.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

The one at Shelburne is not the greatest. It would be adequate for an overnight. We spent a couple nights there a couple years ago. I don't recall there being very big sites and not sure there's a lot of sites not occupied by seasonals. Also they have a bldg they rent for groups. The weekend we were there was a wedding and it was pretty loud.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

We just reserved a spot in North Beach Campground, Burlington, VT the night prior to our arrival. A little pricy but most are in that area and it looks very nice and will be quite near for an early arrival.

We will be there for the night of July 20.

We reserved a spot here: https://www.appleislandresort.com/ (South Hero) about 15 miles away. A tad pricey, but FHU so we can arrive with full water and empty waste tanks. We're arriving early for the boot camp too.

Reviews: http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/vermont/south-hero/apple-island-resort

Cheers,

Don

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We are now in the final planning stages for our trip to Essex Junction and have begun researching RV parks that will be a short distance out from the Champlain Valley Expo Center. Since the parking crew only works from 8 am to 2 pm, it would be nice to spend the night previous within an hour or two drive. If you are familiar with the area RV parks or if you have made reservations, how about sharing some advance knowledge with others?

Any thoughts?

Just in case you have not discovered it, the official Vermont Travel Guide is available free, by mail.

Kirk, do you mean we will actually meet? !!! I'm doing the same thing, looking for somewhere to stop on the 22nd since we wouldn't make it before 2pm on the 23rd

Cookie & Comer

Queen Punky Brewster

2015 Entegra Cornerstone

2015 Grand Cherokee

Facebook. CookieRv

Life Rocks When Your Home Rolls

Kirk, do you mean we will actually meet? !!! I'm doing the same thing, looking for somewhere to stop on the 22nd since we wouldn't make it before 2pm on the 23rd

I certainly hope so. I'll be arriving pretty early due to staff responsibilities, but will be working with security so should be somewhere around the entry when you arrive. If you don't see me somewhere, leave word for me at the office and I'll contract you.

We landed. Drove down from Canada today, leaving from our home in Coarsegold about 3 weeks ago. We're in Shelburne so we can attend the cheese festival and explore Vermont. Then on to the Escapade. Kirk, save us a good place.

Jim  Corey

2006 Monaco Monarch 30 pdd

'12 Honda CRV toad

Kirk, save us a good place.

We are working on it! Actually, there are really no bad spots as long you you realize that it is a fair ground so we are not the primary purpose of the facility. Timing is the key to where you will be parked so if you want to park with someone in particular you do need to come in together. With nearly 700 rigs to get parked, most of them in two days, it isn't really possible to customize much but this is one of the better facilities that we have been to. Being in security, we will be parked near the entrance to the parking area and our rig will have a security sign on it so if we don't catch you as you arrive, do stop by to say hello!

Archived