What do you recommend for full timer work campers?

JCZ

I've read a lot on this and other forums and I'm so confused. I am technology challenged so I have a couple of questions regarding the TVs.

We just bought a 2017 Momentum 376TH 5th wheel last week and later this year we will be going full time as work campersvolunteers/ (when I retire), so we don't need to consider what we use at home. We will mostly be in a location 4-6 months at a time. Being able to watch different programs on two of the three TVs at the same time and a DVR are a higher priority for us than the HD (but we would like to have HD also, if that's possible).

Unlike a motorhome, we will not need to be concerned with viewing it while going down the highway. With this information what would you suggest as the best way for us to go? Should we be looking at a roof mount or a portable unit?

Thanks in advance for your input....your experience is greatly appreciated.

JC & Babe.

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

Depending on where you workamp, cable may be provided. That would save you money.

If you are definite you want satellite regardless of cable availability, keep in mind trees could interfere with your reception and a roof mounted unit is fixed. So that means a portable unit. Watching different programs from different satellites means a dish you have to manually aim. You will need a sat finder so you can aim correctly, but once that is done, it is done. You will likely want a dvr, so the Hopper3 (if you're going with Dish) and wireless Joeys may fill your need.

Here are a few threads you can read thru. It looks like a lot of info, and it is, so take your time and learn from all these experienced people.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=125286

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=125527#entry870504

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=125409#entry869123

https://rvseniormoments.com/tech-docs/dish-tv-for-rvs/

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=125960#entry876419

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=126072#entry877925

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=125976#entry876570

Being able to watch different programs on two of the three TVs at the same time and a DVR are a higher priority for us than the HD (but we would like to have HD also, if that's possible).

Given your requirements, you will need an open-faced dish with multiple LNBs...either an automatic roof-mounted Winegard Trav'ler or an equivalent manual tripod-mounted dish. A dome -- any dome -- will not suffice since you will not be able to watch two different programs on two different TVs unless both of those programs are on the same satellite.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replys.

I probably should have given a bit more info that may be pertinent....my wife has an internet business that requires good internet service as well as on the phone a lot.  Is this related to the TV or a seperate issue?

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

• 4 months later...

We have an appt. Sat. to get the Winegard Trav'ler, a hopper, two wireless Joeys and a wireless access point installed.  They have assured us that we will be able to watch different channels on different TVs at the same time and also be able to watch any of the recorded shows on any of the three TVs at any time.

For the internet service, I believe she's decided on the Verizon Jet Pack.

Opinions and perspectives on those that have this equipment is much appreciated please?

1 hour ago, JCZ said:

We have an appt. Sat. to get the Winegard Trav'ler, a hopper, two wireless Joeys and a wireless access point installed.  They have assured us that we will be able to watch different channels on different TVs at the same time and also be able to watch any of the recorded shows on any of the three TVs at any time.

I have a system similar to yours. Mine is a Hopper 3 with two wired Joey 2.0s.

A "regular" Hopper (not a Hopper 3) has 3 tuners which means each of your 3 TVs could watch different channels unless PTAT (Prime Time Any Time) is using a tuner or a tuner(s) is being used to record something.

So "they" are kinda sorta right. I've experienced tuner conflicts with a regular Hopper. However, a Hopper 3 is another story.

You would be better served with a Hopper 3 because it has 16 tuners and you would probably never have any tuner conflicts.

For the internet service, I believe she's decided on the Verizon Jet Pack.

We work camped several months at a single location and were able to get high speed Internet access via the campground's cable TV system. It cost me about $60/month for 250 GB of high speed Internet data per month.

If you'll be at a location for a few months, you may want to check into this option.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Thank you Zulu, for your reply.

Another question I have.....the people that we have contracted with is an independent shop that sales and installs Dish only.  They've been around for a number of years and say they've done many RVs.  My question is when they mount the Winegard Trav'ler on the roof, where do they bring the cable in at?

We have a Grand Design Momentum 376TH and there are currently 3 A/C units and a 160w solar panel up on the roof along with two smart fans (kitchen and bathroom).  It didn't occur to me to have that conversation with them when we were talking about the equipment and install.

25 minutes ago, JCZ said:

Another question I have.....the people that we have contracted with is an independent shop that sales and installs Dish only.  They've been around for a number of years and say they've done many RVs.  My question is when they mount the Winegard Trav'ler on the roof, where do they bring the cable in at?

We have a Grand Design Momentum 376TH and there are currently 3 A/C units and a 160w solar panel up on the roof along with two smart fans (kitchen and bathroom).  It didn't occur to me to have that conversation with them when we were talking about the equipment and install.

With all that stuff on your roof, you may not have much choice.

However, make sure they run all three cables from the Travler into the RV ("A, B, C" in the photo below). You may only use 1 or 2 now, but in the future you may need all 3.

winegard_travler_install_graphic2.jpg

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Archived