What to look for in a used Travel Trailer

FunkyChunky

Hi -

I have never owned an RV and am trying to do a little research before I jump into this and have a few questions. I am in Florida and have two young children (under 10), one of which has a lot of weekend long baseball tournaments. I am looking to find something that I can tow to the tournaments and dodge the Florida heat between games and camp out in overnight so we don't have to drive back and forth or get hotel rooms. I also want to be able to use it for vacations. My children insist on bunks and said they won't sleep on beds that are converted from seats, so it looks like that substantially limits our options to TTs over 30ft. I have a 2014 Ram 3500 that is rated to tow 18k and tows my 15k boat without issues, so I don't think size is an issue. I am trying to find something a few years old and between 15-20k and would love some input.

1) Any suggestions on brand/models?

2) I am not familiar with systems in TTs - what should I be paying close attention to in a used TT?

3) Construction - what types of things fail (roofs, windows, etc) and what are the signs?

4) Do any models have built in generators?

Any input is welcome

Very few, if any, TT's have generators. They just have too small of storage areas to house one. You will be looking at carrying one in the truck. That really isn't that big of deal.

Your best bet is just to get out there and start looking to get a better idea of what will work for you. The bunks are a good idea: your kids are right! Quality and price pretty well go together. If you are looking for used I think the chance of just finding what you want when you are wandering around looking at stuff is really slim. Look at new units over and over until you get a good idea of what you want. Then go on-line and start looking for those specific units in used. It may take awhile but you have a much better chance of getting what you want.

Good luck. You will find it. It just may take awhile.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

First let me welcome you to the Escapee forums! Great having you join in here and I'll also suggest that you check out the club's website at your leisure for a lot of good, RV related information.

1) You will find that in brand names there are wide differences in opinions as no RV is so bad that nobody likes it nor is any so good that everyone loves it. A great deal depends upon the use that one plans to put an RV to, since the highest quality RVs are also the most expensive and weigh the most. For your purposes I would look for something in the mid-range of the price structure, since lowest price also usually means cheap. Even though you are not shopping for new, I still believe that you would be wise to take the family to the largest RV show that you can find and spend time walking through the various RVs in order to get a feel for what is available and what your family will want. From there you can narrow things down enough to start actually shopping.

2) The most important thing inside is to make sure that everything works. I would start with a good check list such as this one, and study that list well making sure that you understand each issue before you start an inspection prior to purchase. There are also an increasing number of professional inspectors out there who do inspections much like a home inspector to help you. Another good approach would be to contact a mobile RV tech and ask him to do an inspection for you before you buy. Either of these approaches will cost you several hundred dollars, but could save you thousands.

3) Enemy #1 for most is an undetected leak or one that exists and isn't repaired. Those can come from a window frame, a seam in the roof, skylight, or most anything that penetrates the exterior skin. Tell-tale signs are discolorations or warping signs on the inside or wavy sides showing places that are de-laminating on the exterior. For a novice the best thing to do is to walk away from these as it takes some knowledge and experience to know for sure about the structural effect. Next to that is replacement of the roof's skin and then would be the more expensive appliances like a refrigerator or air conditioner.

4) Very few travel trailers are built with a generator on board or even prewired for one. A major reason for that is the need for a fuel tank to supply it and propane is used up very quickly by a generator. The best way to solve that need would be with one of the small, quiet, portable generators but do not use one of the construction versions like come from Home Depot or Lowe's, but get one from Honda, Yamaha, Bolley, or any of those light weight portables. If you do that, remember that it requires at least a 3 KW generator to supply an air conditioner.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

...I have never owned an RV...I have a 2014 Ram 3500 that is rated to tow 18k and tows my 15k boat without issues, so I don't think size is an issue...

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!! The maximum tow ratings are usually based on a base vehicle loaded with only a 150# driver and maybe not even a full tank of fuel towing something on the order of a horse or utility trailer with a much smaller frontal area than a travel trailer or fifth wheel. Boats are pretty aerodynamic cutting through the air just as they do through the water. Towing a travel trailer will be like dragging a sea anchor in comparison. That said, a 3500 should be capable of towing a large travel trailer.

Again, welcome to the Escapees Forum!!

Water leaks- look carefully at all windows, and pull completely out any bottom drawers, look for previously wet wood in the floor. Soft spots in the floor under any windows, any staining in the ceiling, around the AC, etc. My personal guideline- buy a TT with a supposedly "fixed" water leak, then shoot yourself. Not to put too fine a point on it..................

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Archived