Hitch camera recommendation needed

alan0043

The Voyager system of matched monitor/camera is a "little" better than the Leviathan stuff I use.VERY little, IMO. And it costs WAY more. I've looked at them side by side. But it just depends on what you want.

It is easy to integrate disparate systems as long as you are willing to cut and splice (and solder is good in this case). I do that anyway - I cut off all the cable ends and splice everything since I run my trailer connections over a single standard 7-pin umbilical (a second one from the trailer).

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

unfortunately Cutting and splicing Ends off of any brand equipment is gonna void your warranty. so think long and hard before doing that.

the Voyager connectors are pretty Nice being as watertight as they are.

i have 2 voyager cameras on my system along with a magnadyne (i believe thats the spelling) as a 3rd. thats when i learned about the

adapter i needed.

system is extremely well built and works well. *I* dont run any cameras on the trailer though.

NOTE: i have NO ties in anyway to Voyager other than being a happy customer.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

I don't care about a warranty on a $99 camera that is working well before I modify it. I've used literally dozens of these cameras and never had an issue with a single one. So I'll take my chances on cutting the ends. Others may not want to do it. And if you can do your installation without modifying the ends that would always be best. BUT I don't like the way the "systems" bridge from the tow vehicle to the trailer. So I do my own thing.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

My two cents...Had a camera and monitor. Dropped the monitor & broke it. Haven't bought a new one. Usually takes 1 - 2 "get outs" to get hooked up with no camera. With the camera, usually took 1 - 2 "get outs". Counted the acreage of the windshield being taken up by GPS, rear view from trailer, and miscellaneous dash flotsam & jetsam & figured I didn't need the hitch camera anyway. My answer to the wireless problem on the trailer rear view was to purchase an antenna extension cable. Wireless camera stays mounted on the rear roof of the trailer, extension cable moves the antenna to the front roof of the trailer, and the signal, which is now traveling only 15', is plenty strong. Works great and cheap too!!

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

I have the leviathon system. I have bounced the camera along the ground and it still works. Most recently I smashed it between the frame of the jeep and the spare tire on the deck hard enough to flatten the mount and remove the paint from the rim. Still works great.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Ronbo - Have you checked the owners manual for that type of usage? Duct tape may be of some help here

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone,

It is time to find a good deal on a camera system. Does anyone know if there are any good deals out there ? There is two brands that I am looking at. Leviathan Holdings or Rear View Safety Systems. If you know of a good deal could you please post the link or post the info to that deal.

Thanks for any help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Your trying to get this done before ECR ? If you are not on a mission you might just look again

at the collection there. Nothing like touching things and talking to owners. Love my Leviathan

system but if I do another build, POE cameras with standard RJ45 connectors all networked

is the way I would go. Then, should you have a bunch of cameras on the trailer and are parked,

it is no big deal to pop them up on the TV or some other monitor for your viewing pleasure. ;)

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

The ones from Leviathan Holdings I've been using in various applications for many years. They are reliable and relatively cheap. The Rear View Safety ones above are also good. I'd look for a monitor that handles at least 4 input, personally. Or set it up with a switch from inception. I run 3 camera on the trailer and three on the truck.

My hitch camera is on a magnet - use at least 80 lbs. That way I can turn it around and watch the smart in it after hooking up. Do not use wireless....I've not found one that is reasonably priced yet that works reliably.

I'm using a 9' monitor and REALLY like the large size. Especially if using multiple cameras on the screen at once.

Jack, how do you feel the 9" monitor compares to the 7"? Is it considerably easier to see? I believe I can "french" in the 7" monitor where my OEM air gauges are, but the 9" would have to be installed outside of that gauge frame.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

My personal opinion is that I would integrate the 7" into the dash. Itwill be a much nicer install.My 9" is mounted on top of the dash just to the right of the steering wheel. It is definitely bigger than the 7" and a better view....but I'm not sure it is worth it from a "design" perspective. I'm probably going to put another "in" the dash as you describe at some point.....probably a tablet.

www.jackdanmayer.com

My personal opinion is that I would integrate the 7" into the dash. Itwill be a much nicer install.My 9" is mounted on top of the dash just to the right of the steering wheel. It is definitely bigger than the 7" and a better view....but I'm not sure it is worth it from a "design" perspective. I'm probably going to put another "in" the dash as you describe at some point.....probably a tablet.

Thanks, Jack. Exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm leaning toward a 7" myself. I want to use networked cameras via a LAN interface. The tablet plays pretty well into that system. Another device I'm playing with is the Raspberry Pi. It is a small, open source, very inexpensive, Linux-based computer specifically suited for I/O operations. I already have one connected to the rear TV in the truck. Using it to control the cameras (blinker activation, reverse, etc.) should be pretty simple. IO control via the Android tablet could be handled with a wireless IO board - http://www.ebay.com/itm/WIFI-Network-IO-8-Channels-RELAY-BOARD-Controller-For-ANDROID-IPHONE-WINDOWS-MAC-/281430282345?_trksid=p2054897.l4275.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

The new Pi B V2 is vastly improved over the old V1 and 4-6 times faster so it is an option for a lot of folks. With a HDMI video out of up to 1920x1080 you can get a really great picture too.

I have one on order along with a GPS attachment, not for navigation but for building a clock for my network.

V2 Pi https://www.adafruit.com/products/2358

GPS https://www.adafruit.com/products/2324

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived