49 RV's in Cabelas parking lot in Anchorage this morning

Al F

We spent the night parked in Cabela's parking lot in Anchorage, AK.

This morning at 6:30 I counted 49 RV's. Everything from a van to a 1/2 million dollar Zephyr by Tiffin Motorhomes.

For the RV Park owners that is $2000-$2500 in lost revenue for one day, based on $40 to $50 a night fee.

While I can feel a little empathy for the RV Parks, they sure don't go out of their way to provide an alternative place to park overnight.

Yesterday I called one of the RV Parks here, which lists dry camping on their website. They want $39 for dry camping and $48 for FHU.

I wonder just how many of their dry camping sites they filled last night. Or how many empty FHU sites they were left with this morning.

As the airlines and some motel/hotels figured out, any empty seat/room is lost revenue. It doesn't matter where your customers go, any empty spot is lost revenue. It is not like you can save that spot and sell it later.

I would think the above mentioned RV Park would be better off charging $20 or even $25 for dry camping, with a space available last minute arrival and a 2-3 day limit.

There is Passport America, but none of the RV Parks in Anchorage are part of that network.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Last March on the way back North from Florida we stopped for an overnight in Kentucky. It was a $65.00 bill. I won't let that happen again. Parks need to figure out a way to have a place for those of us that just need a place to get off of the highway. They certainly figured out a way to charge you for every little thing that you choose to participate in ounce you are there. How about a flat $25.00 for electric and a "dump"? It would be like an "al a cart" menu from there for water, shower, etc. We spend more than that when we park at the various establishments and partake in their services. I certainly want to make sure that when I overnight at Walmart and others that they are aware of the money being spent in their establishments by those of us that truly appreciate the opportunity for a quick, safe area to park.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Last March on the way back North from Florida we stopped for an overnight in Kentucky. It was a $65.00 bill. I won't let that happen again. Parks need to figure out a way to have a place for those of us that just need a place to get off of the highway. They certainly figured out a way to charge you for every little thing that you choose to participate in ounce you are there. How about a flat $25.00 for electric and a "dump"? It would be like an "al a cart" menu from there for water, shower, etc. We spend more than that when we park at the various establishments and partake in their services. I certainly want to make sure that when I overnight at Walmart and others that they are aware of the money being spent in their establishments by those of us that truly appreciate the opportunity for a quick, safe area to park.

Todd

On I75 in KY they are 2 Passport America $18-19 and I65 2 for $19-20. I use one of them every spring & fall too and from FL.

I also use one in GA. for $17.75. I never have used a Walmart or like it for overnight. I like to stop around 2-4 in afternoon and leave around 7-8 in the mornings.

That is to many hours for me to spend on a parking lot with a lot of traffic coming & going.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I would think the above mentioned RV Park would be better off charging $20 or even $25 for dry camping,

Even that is too much, IMO, for a space to park overnight and no use of their facilities.

Why not charge $5 or $10 for dry camping? Then if the person needs to dump and/or take on fresh water, there could be an additional -- reasonable -- charge for that.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Biker56

I wasn't familiar w/Passport America. Thank you. Looks like something I should be using. I usually avoid "clubs" & the like. Seems as though they usually benefit more than I do. This one looks to be a deal.

When I use a parking lot, it's usually only for the "dark hours". Late dinner & early breakfast, usually wherever I parked and then down the road we go.

LindaH

I agree 5-10 would be about right for just a parking spot.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

On I75 in KY they are 2 Passport America $18-19 and I65 2 for $19-20. I use one of them every spring & fall too and from FL.

I also use one in GA. for $17.75. I never have used a Walmart or like it for overnight. I like to stop around 2-4 in afternoon and leave around 7-8 in the mornings.

That is to many hours for me to spend on a parking lot with a lot of traffic coming & going.

I use Passport America all the time. It is the BEST membership out there. At $44 a year it pays for itself in only a couple of stays.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

For an RV park to only collect $5 or $10 for dry camping, I would think that little bit of money isn't worth it to the RV Park. It is kind of like asking a hotel to offer a $100 room for $40 or so. Note, I'm thinking that the$100 rate is the already discounted rate, not the retail, asking price rate.

I try to keep in mind an RV Park has taxes, property/business loans, etc to pay for.

We have been staying in city operated campgrounds for $15 or $20 a night all over Alaska. One in Fairbanks is an asphalt parking lot. Homer & Seward are getting $15 & $20 respectively for gravel parking lots. So I am good with $20 for an RV Park for dry camping.

A side note, in Homer, on the spit, one of the city CG's, charging $15, is right next to an RV park which is getting $70/night. (I didn't verify the rate, it came from RV Park Reviews). The RV park looks about the same as the city park, gravel roads & parking pads. The only amenities I see are the FHU's. Lots of people staying there. To top it off, it is getting rave reviews on RV Park Reviews The views they talk about are the same views the city CG has.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

I know the RV park you're talking about on the Homer Spit. We also stayed at the city campground right next door with the exact same gravel sites and the exact views. We couldn't understand why people pay that much when they don't have to do so.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We pulled into a nearly empty RV park once just to dump tanks. That cost $20. When I said that was more than I'm used to paying the owner said he knows what it costs him to have his septic tank pumped out. How many of you wanting cheap dry camping were planning to dump on your way out? Or use their shower facility while there?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I can understand RV Park owners feeling like the boondocker/dry camper are freeloading on them if they only charge $5 for a dump. Kind of like, "OK if you guys want to park at places which don't have a dump, for cheap prices or free, then don't come to me for a cheap place to dump & fill up your water tank. Instead come to my RV park and stay at my water/elect spot for $25 or $30 and you can dump when you leave."

A few years ago we stopped at an RV park and asked to dump. We were told they don't have a dump station, but we were welcome to use one of the full hookup sites to dump for the standard nightly fee. This was out in a National Forest and BLM area. No dump stations around and not a lot of RV Parks either. We didn't dump for his price. We still had room for a couple or 4 days or so.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

...I can understand RV Park owners feeling like the boondocker/dry camper are freeloading on them if they only charge $5 for a dump. Kind of like, "OK if you guys want to park at places which don't have a dum, for cheap prices or free, then don't come to me for a cheap place to dump & fill up your water tank. Instead come to my RV park and stay at my water/elect spot for $25 or $30 and you can dump when you leave."...

I've discussed the issue with a few RV Park/campground owners and their biggest issue with the companies like Walmart that try to attract RVers for overnights is that they don't comply with all the regulations, health inspections, licensing requirements etc, that a campground has to. From what I have been told even if a campground was all dry camping, they would be required to meet requirements that Walmart and other big box stores do not comply with.

I've discussed the issue with a few RV Park/campground owners and their biggest issue with the companies like Walmart that try to attract RVers for overnights is that they don't comply with all the regulations, health inspections, licensing requirements etc, that a campground has to. From what I have been told even if a campground was all dry camping, they would be required to meet requirements that Walmart and other big box stores do not comply with.

If a store, such as Walmart, was to start charging a fee for overnight parking then I would expect the local government would require the store to meet the same requirements as a campground.

Just another reason why I understand an RV Park would charge a reasonable fee to dry camp.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Welcome to Alaska during prime tourist season. What makes it worse is, for the last few weeks and next few. Its dip netting season as well on the kenai and kasilof river. So along with the out of staters on the highway, you also have every bill and joe headed to the kenai to get some fish.

The RV parks around here are a joke, and WAY over priced. The DW and I have joked many times about putting together a real RV park and charging a reasonable rate.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

The DW and I have joked many times about putting together a real RV park and charging a reasonable rate.

Given the short length of the season, what would you consider to be a reasonable rate? You need at least enough to buy the land and pay the taxes plus install and maintain the facilities. Then you need to pay someone to be there when you aren't. I suspect all that costs a lot more than many of us realize.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived