First pull with 2015 VNL 730

RickS

Larry,

Our last 5th was a 39ft two bedroom two washroom setup and we actually find the TH more versatile for the things we do. Sometimes when its raining my DW will do her workout back there with the TV on. Sometime we haul five mountain bikes and one of my motorbikes. Also, can haul the Smart car if needed. We've seen garages turned into sewing rooms or woodworking rooms. We just liked the options. We have more than enough front space for us.

2012%20Excel%20Wild%20Cargo%20W41GKE%20i

We went the opposite route and got rid of our toy hauler in favor of more living space.

Mike

My wife is constantly telling me that she knows I will hardly miss our house at all; it is losing my garage that gives me the most pause. She is amenable to a TH but we both admit that maximum living space is a huge consideration. Hate to say it but one of these days it may come down to a single coin toss...ok, maybe best two out of three... ;)

Larry

Ex-Navy / Retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service.

Goals: 2022 - Retire from my CG civilian job, sell our house, and begin full-timing.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on the new rig - The paint makes it!!!

Have fun

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Howdy RickS,

Only one word describes your new machine, beautiful, enjoy it for many miles and years to come.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

My wife is constantly telling me that she knows I will hardly miss our house at all; it is losing my garage that gives me the most pause. She is amenable to a TH but we both admit that maximum living space is a huge consideration. Hate to say it but one of these days it may come down to a single coin toss...ok, maybe best two out of three... ;)

Long HDT with a box on the back for your shop and keep the rig for living space? I've seen several setups like that and while the HDT is pretty long you can still find places to park it if you plan ahead.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I'll be at the NHRA Mile High Nationals in Denver July 18/19/20. Then meet up with my DW in Vegas the following weekend to see a few concerts and then back home. So, can't make the end of July. :(

....and don't forget your stop in Woodland Park :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Long HDT with a box on the back for your shop and keep the rig for living space? I've seen several setups like that and while the HDT is pretty long you can still find places to park it if you plan ahead.

I have actually talked to Gregg about this but it probably won't happen. If we decide to go the Volvo/fiver route we will want a Smart Car hauler.

Larry

Ex-Navy / Retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service.

Goals: 2022 - Retire from my CG civilian job, sell our house, and begin full-timing.

....and don't forget your stop in Woodland Park :)

Jack,

I am in a bit of a dilemma right now since there is no way the deck for the truck will be done and if I take it without the deck on the longer It will take to complete. I don't want to take my new daily driver....LGT. :( But, may have to.

20140623_134505.jpg

Darryl,

Yeah I know about the show but, I don't think they would want an RV Rally to take over their show. :D;)

Darryl,

Yeah I know about the show but, I don't think they would want an RV Rally to take over their show. :D;)

Au contraire. In fact, if enough trucks of one type preregister, and assist with sponsorship, trophies will be provided. Last year, enough cab over fans asked for, and got the first group for themselves. We had lots of positive comments, and interesting questions. Good time.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm going to hit the road shortly and last weekend picked the truck up in Calgary. Gregg and I did a few things. I never imagined not having a deck on the truck for this holiday but, truck was held up by the Volvo dealer. At least we have the temporary mount of the Drom and some fenders on it. Here is a picture of the drom and and new in motion Sat dome.

Drom%2520and%2520Sat%2520Dome%2520instal

Very nice rick.

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

The deck frame is done and they will be working on it while I have the truck. Hope to have it done by Hutch.....hoping to make it there to meet up with the many members here. I am just used to more storage on the truck so left a bunch of stuff in the garage. The hardest thing to leave behind was the motorbikes....first time in many years. Still.....life is good and looking forward to the break from work. :)

Well, I'm going to hit the road shortly and last weekend picked the truck up in Calgary. Gregg and I did a few things. I never imagined not having a deck on the truck for this holiday but, truck was held up by the Volvo dealer. At least we have the temporary mount of the Drom and some fenders on it. Here is a picture of the drom and and new in motion Sat dome.

Drom%2520and%2520Sat%2520Dome%2520instal

An awesome rig Rick, hope you and the family get lots and lots of use outta' that bad boy.

Welcome to the forum! The RV is built by Peterson Industries out of Kansas. They have been building RV's for over 40 years now.

Here is link to their website.

Rick:

Very nice.

Since I now own a HDT, I am in the market for a larger, well built, full timer, toy hauler. There are a few full "high end" fifth wheel builders, but not all make toy haulers. How did you decide to go with Peterson, if you do not mind sharing your thoughts.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

I went with PI because I liked the way they were willing to work with me on custom designing what we wanted. Their full timer warranty with their -23 degree non freeze up warranty. They have been building coaches for a long time and build there own frames like many other high end manufactures. I did have a few problems when I first got the coach and they were very good at taking care of any warranty concerns. They don't build some of the largest 5th wheels like NH/Forks/DRV but a lot of people on the Excel forum are full timers. The Wild Cargo is done in a more traditional design that my DW liked and I have the room for my motorbikes or the Smart Car in the back. If you like I can post the option list for you to look at.

Rick:

Thanks for the quick response.

-23 degrees is awesome. Please post the option list.

I will check out the Excel forum for more info.

I have flipped back and forth from a toy hauler to a 5'er without the garage. I am considering carrying my Rhino "rocket launcher" style on the bed of the Volvo and going with a 5'er without a garage. I am still trying to decide which way to go. Although, I keep leaning to the garage because I have a lot of toys and I am not inclined to sit still for too long.

Jim

Jim,

Sorry for the delay in the reply! Been putting on the miles the last few days and am in Denver tonight after a great day of NHRA drag racing. Anyway, here is the option list at he time of purchase.

1 -Brazilian Cherry Interior
1 -1001_ Box Springs Under Mattress
1 -1616- "E-Z" Up Coffee Table
1 -1138 10 Cubic Foot Refrigerator (2 Door)
1 -7169 French Door w/Night Shade in Hall
1 -1204 Panasonic 26" LCD TV in Bedroom (39SKM or Garage)
1 -1341 Motorized SENSAR TV Antenna
1 -1362 Winegard "Trav'ler" Sat Sys w/o Rec - Dish Network-wire DPP44 switch
1 -1303 Heat Pump -x- Air Conditioner
1 -72-- Padded Ceiling
1 -1442 Central Vacuum System W/Powerhead & VacPan
1 -1606 2 pc Front Load Washer/Compact Dryer
1 -8146 Second "High Volume" Fan W/Rain Sensor-Garage
1 -1302 Ducted 2nd Air Cond heat pump- 13.5 Coleman Low Profile
1 -6510 Electric Fireplace (N/A in W39SKM)
1 -1418 Pivot-EZ Sewer Hose Compartment
1 -7500W QD Onan Gen (Incl genset Ready & Energy Command)
includes 30 gal diesel tank and gauge
2 -40lb Propane Tanks
1 -1519W Disc Brakes w/ Michelin 17.5" Load "J" Tires - Incl Spare
1 -1524 H & H Electric Rear Stabilizer Jacks
1 -1540 Glide Ride Pin Box
1 -189 Electric "WeatherPro" Awning -x- Two Step
1 -2650 Patio Screen
1 -1123 Electric Lift Beds w/Sit -n- Sleep Sofa
1 -1570 30 Gallon Fuel Center
1 -Full Body Paint - Silver Mountain
1 -1175 SeaLevel holding Tank Monitoring System
1 -1539 Level-Up Fully Automatic Leveling System
1 -3051 Keyless Entry (Main Door Only)
1 -Side door security Camera connects to 42" main TV
1 -Install rear Backup camera provided by customer
1 -Panasonic 32" LCD TV In Garage
1 -Loft with 48" Mattress and Rear Facing Overheads into Garage
1 -1630 - One Piece Fiberglass Shower
1 -U-Line Ice Maker
1 -2nd WeatherPro Awning From Rear Slide-Out to Back End
1 -1199 Panasonic 42" TV In Livingroom
1 -8532 Performance Flooring -x- Linoleum in Kitchen & Bathroom
1 -Wifi Antenna & Cable with wire running into entertainment center as per link sent by customer
1 -2ga solar prep wiring
1 -Install Exterior Ladder on the LEFT Side of the Coach
2 -Swivel Arm for 42"& 32" TV in Livingroom and garage
1 -Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension
1 -Sit & Sleep Sofa to have New Style Facing Love Seats
1 -Magnum MS2012 Pure Sine Wave Inverter W/4- 6volt Batteries & Remote Monitor Panel
1 -Build larger battery compartment to fit 8-6volt batteries
1 -Dual Input Satellite Plates per TV (Requires 2 per DVR/PVR)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADDED SINCE PURCHASE
3 -Kyocera KD235GX-LPB 235-watt solar panel's
1 -TriStar Remote Solar Meter 2 (TS-RM-2)
1 -Morningstar’s TriStar MPPT TS-60 solar controller
2 -Interstate 6 Volt Batteries GC2-XHD-UT batteries (6 total)
1 -Magnum (ME-ARC) advanced remote display panel
1 -Magnum (ME-AGN) auto genset start with temp probe
1 -Magnum (ME-BMK) Battery monitoring kit with shunt
1 -Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C 50 Amp Hardwired RV Surge Protector
1 -Cradlepoint CTR500 Mobile Broadband Travel Router
1- Wilson Cellular Amplifier (811201)
-Converted to LED lights from halogens
6 -Monroe Gas Magnum RV Shock absorbers 555001

Archived