Paying for dental in Algodones,Mx.

kathydavidb

How do people get the map for your signature block that shows where you have traveled in your RV?

Bob Keeland and Joy Young

Southern Louisiana

2011 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK

2014 Nissan Frontier

1998 Harley Sportster but we don't take that with us)

http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/VisitedStatesMap.php

(I don't have it here since we long ago camped in all the North America states, plus we have stayed multiple weeks in Hawaii.)

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

• 3 weeks later...

My insurance just paid $1790 for a root canal re-treat here in Tacoma, WA. I've heard many good successes with folks getting dental work done in Algodones. We have friends who winter in Yuma and they have taken us there for day trips; quite an interesting place. Each of them have had dental and optometry work done and saved large over prices here in the states. I suspect having solid line on referral from those you know and trust is a must.... no way I would just head over and select a provider on a whim.

An update on Los Aglodones pricing. This week I visited Los Algodones dentist (Dr Castro) for dental work. She referred me to Dr Ivan Gaspar for a root canal ($342) -painless and it took an hour. I went back to Dr. Castro for prep work for a porcelain crown. Crown cost is $200. Very competitive pricing and professional work. Crown takes 2 consecutive days.

Warren & Sandy

2006 New Horizons 36 ft 5ver

2003 Freightliner FL60 - Mountain Master conversion

Thanks for the update, Warren& Sandy. We will head down there next week. I'll need porcelain crowns. Does any one know the difference between porcelain over metal ($160) compared to full porcellain ($300)? I've been told for back teeth the porcelain over metal is stronger & reccommended, but wonder why it is cheaper. Thanks, Dave

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Just got back from a walk-in trip to Los Algodones. Dental cleanings at Castle, cheap meds at the "American" Pharmacy and a fantastic lunch of shrimp tacos.....

I can't comment on more elaborate dental work, but $30 each for a cleaning is great IMO. Professional, sterile service too...

Sasha and Laura

SOLD: 1999 Ford F450 7.3 PSD CC 4x2, Roll-A-Long Hauler Bed, 15,000 GVWR, 26,000 GCVWR,

PacBrake PBRX, AIRSAFE 25K Air hitch & KSH 80 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box Combo

2006 FR Sandpiper Sport F37 Toyhauler, 16K GVWR, 7K axles, 17.5" Wheels, 600W Solar

Thanks for the update, Warren& Sandy. We will head down there next week. I'll need porcelain crowns. Does any one know the difference between porcelain over metal ($160) compared to full porcellain ($300)? I've been told for back teeth the porcelain over metal is stronger & reccommended, but wonder why it is cheaper. Thanks, Dave

The inside metal at the gum line is visible and cannot be easily seen in a smile. Thus, the full porcelain is recommended for the non-molars according to Dr. Alejandro Cruz at the Rubio Dental Group.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Just a thought, but if you take low dose aspirin and need any extractions, I was told to come off them for a week prior to the dental procedure. Didn't even think about my meds being an issue, so had lots of prep work done on initial visit, then had to return a week later for extractions and installation of the caps and plate. Just sharing in case it helps anyone else

• 11 months later...

I realized this is an older thread, but thought my question tied into the crown discussions.

DW and I just had our annual cleanings, and boy our dentist is proud of his dental hygienist! A little over $360 for two cleanings, of course with the Dentist himself sitting down for less then 5 minutes each, to review... Three crowns for one of us, and one crown for the other - so a total of four, for just under $6k. The Dentist does outstanding work, but as we have no dental insurance, we're researching our options.

One thing slick about this dentist, is he invested for a piece of equipment that does the image of the tooth being replaced, and then sort of 3D prints the crown out a porcelain cube right in his office. About two hours from start to finish.

I see most of the mentioned crowns were a two day event, so it sounds like they're having a crown fabricated overnight? Does anyone know of Dental Offices/Clinics that have the 3D print like equipment?

TIA,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I'm not familiar with any Algodones dentist using that type of equipment, and doubt it would be cost effective for them. Why invest in such expensive equipment when they can get a crown made from an impression in a couple hours for peanuts?

One day service is very possible, but might be difficult if you visit during the January-February rush. My sister needed a crown and called around to find someone who would do it in one day. Several were willing. IIRC it was mid-March. She had an early morning appointment for the prep and impression, and then returned early afternoon for the installation. She was and is very happy with the result, and even happier with the cost.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

When my crown cracked, the dentist in the US asked me if I remembered if I got the crown the same day, or if I had a temporary and had to wait for one. I answered and he said the reason he asked is because the crowns made right in the offices and printed 3D as is the newest trend, are thinner and will not last near as long (on a molar) as would a crown that was made by a lab. The crown that cracked had indeed been made in a lab -- at least 20 years ago. I do believe if I had my choice of an office that did the temporaries and you waited a week for a lab created crown vs an immediate crown, I would choose the lab created crown for this reason. Therefore it would influence my decision as to which office to go to.

I would also try to find a dentist where I could use a credit card. Pay cash, you have no recourse if you happen to pick the wrong office and get shoddy work. A friend on honeymoon in FL ended up with a dental emergency - dentist said needed root canal & crown. Took x-ray with needle in tooth after supposed root canal. He got home and tooth bothered him terrible yet - went to own dentist -- no root canal ever done - crown just put on. His dentist requested copies of records/x-rays and received them. They determined that needle was inserted between gum and outside of tooth for the x-ray and not inside the canal passage in the tooth. With the help of the credit card company and his dentist, the dentist in FL was charged with fraud, lost his license and my friend was reimbursed for the charges by the FL dentist thru the courts. If he had paid cash, he would have been out all that money.

Pat DeJong

smitty,

I had a crown done onto an implant with the crown made via the 3D imaging system and it would not stay on. According to my implant dentist the reflections from the post do not allow the camera to pick up the fine detail needed to get the absolute accuracy needed for the mating surfaces. The longest the 3D crown stayed on was 2 months. I finally gave up and requested and received my money back. My implant dentist recommended one of his friends a few towns over and he did 2 crowns, via impressionds, for around $800 for both. They have been on for over a year now (Knock, Knock, Knock on wood). That crown dentist's costs were reasonable I think because his technicians did the impressions and he did the final install and bite fit. All U.S. dentists. Implant dentist in FL, first 3D crown dentist in MA, final crown dentist in FL

Good luck,

My brother had implants done in Algadones. Cost was around $7500 total. Best US quote he could find was $30,000. He had a full upper as well as a post and crown on one lower molar. If you want details PM me and I will put you in touch with him.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

You can't get a crown at Casle Dental or the other lower cost Dental place Souther Dental for $400 or $500 in the Houston, Texas area.

They both are way more then that. While they say that they are low cost dental business, they are not when compared to Mexico.

Mexican Dentist do very good work. If you go on line and ask others that have had dental work in Mexico they will tell you. Good Luck

Thanks for the info sharing on the 3D crowns. Interesting that they may not hold up as well as the traditional lab produced crowns. We've paid a premium for a few of these over the last 5 or so years before we retired. Always assumed (Yep, the word 'assume' fits what I did:)!), they were just as durable as the lab built crowns. I know they have outstanding fit, and again I/we sure liked the two hour in/out of an office to get a new crown.

But I admit, I'd rather have as durable as possible of crown, over this connivence. So will do some more research. (Wonder if it is the metal backed porcelains that are more durable, vs the all porcelain (pretty sure that is what the cube is the 3D machines into a crown)

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Smitty,

I should say that the 3D machine brand was a CEREC. Maybe there are better machines out there now but my implant dentist knew of problems with the CEREC system and his implants which were Strauman's. I should have checked with him first before having the 3D crowns made.

Good luck,

The CEREC machine is often used to make the quick crowns. A friend who is a CPA does accounting work for several dental practices in Florida. He mentioned that a CEREC machine costs around $100-120K. When I had a crown made in Los Algodonnes last year, the dentist offered to re-do the crown as the color didn't closely match my existing teeth. She said she could have a new crown made within the hour. I declined as the crown was not easily seen when I smiled.

I just learned from Wickipedia that the CEREC machine mills a new crown from a block of material. Per the article it takes 6-15 minutes to do it's magic.

Warren & Sandy

2006 New Horizons 36 ft 5ver

2003 Freightliner FL60 - Mountain Master conversion

Archived