Avoiding FL Toll Way

RVTEN

Bill, their website http://www.floridasturnpike.com/tools_tollrates.cfm must be wrong then where it says cash.

Customers can pay their toll with cash (U.S. Currency) on most Turnpike facilities. Some locations have unstaffed plazas so we recommend having change available on your trip. Please refer to “Cash” toll rates when determining your toll rate.

Doesn't say all just most

Bill said Miami-Dade county

Any place that says Toll by Plate doesn't have any Toll Booths for CASH

TOLL-BY-PLATE is a new electronic toll payment option on all-electronic toll roads for customers who do not have SunPass transponders. Currently, TOLL-BY-PLATE is only available on the southern 47 miles of the Turnpike in Miami-Dade, on the Sawgrass Expressway in Broward County, on the I-4 Connector in Tampa, and on a portion of the Veterans Expressway (Hillsborough Avenue to Linebaugh Avenue) in the Tampa Bay area.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

That is indeed strange Bill. I drove the tollroad from Ft. Pierce to the Sawgrass all the way to US 1, on into Key West. Paid cash all the way.

P.S. That may have changed, we drove to KW Dec. 2013.

1Rod, I drove US27 once, never again in our RV.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

That is indeed strange Bill. I drove the tollroad from Ft. Pierce to the Sawgrass all the way to US 1, on into Key West. Paid cash all the way.

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/all-electronictolling/toll-by-plate.html says, "The Florida DOT’s TOLL-BY-PLATE program is available on Florida’s Turnpike in Miami-Dade, the Mid-Bay Connector in Niceville, and on the Selmon Expressway and the I-4 Connector in Tampa, where all-electronic, no-cash tolling is in effect. In the spring of 2014, it will be available on the Veterans Expressway/Toll 589 in the Tampa Bay area and on the Sawgrass Expressway/Toll 869 west of Fort Lauderdale."

Maybe they were unable to get your billing info for your out-of-state plate? Not all states share such info with Florida, yet. In late 2016 the MAP 21 law goes into effect and two things will happen. First all toll transponders are supposed to work in all states. Second, the states will all have to share license info with each other. This second part is causing some issues, since states like Iowa and South Dakota haven't been sharing such info on purpose due to some historic issues.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

1Rod, I drove US27 once, never again in our RV.

That is indeed strange. You may have been the last one to pay at a booth.

There are no toll booths on the Sawgrass or Homested Turnpike extension. There is Pay By Plate on those roads if you don't have a Sun Pass.

The conversion between Milepost 0 in Florida City and Milepost 47 in Miramar is Saturday, Feb. 19, 2011. All the Florida's Turnpike toll plazas located on this segment will transition to all-electronic toll collection simultaneously, removing cash collection from the system. The Miami-Dade Expressway Authority (MDX), which operates five tolled expressways in Miami-Dade County, has eliminated cash toll collections on three of its expressways — State Road 924, State Road 874 and State Road 878. Florida's Turnpike and MDX are coordinating conversion plans and working together to inform customers about the upcoming conversion to all-electronic open road tolling.

US 27 is a good 4 lane road to drive a RV on. Less miles then going turnpike and money saved by no fees more then makes up for any extra time.

Plus you get to see more orange trees, sugar fields and farm land. On the turnpike miles & miles of pine trees at fence line, you can't see what is on the other side of them.

369070033.jpg

We took the FL.Toll from I75 to Miami. Was a nice smooth fast trip. Plan to do same on return to home. Paid cash. Not that big a deal.

Tom & Bonnie

Crossville, TN.

2008 Winnebago Aspect 29H

(No SUch Thing as a B+)

Toad Ford Flex 2010

One item to remember if you do try to pay-by-plate there is a service charge per toll. Our $1.61 toll actually turned out to be almost $5.00 after the service charge. When we do travel from Tampa to the Keys we travel I-75 or Alligator Alley (Naples Area). We turn South before the turnpike and we don't pay any tolls and the roads are in pretty good shape. Sometimes they hold a sale and you can get the transponder for free with a $10.00 account for paying the tolls.

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

Payed cash from i75 to Miami and back on the Toll Road. Was 850 mile one way. About 13 hour drive time.

Crissville, Tn. To Miami

Tom & Bonnie

Crossville, TN.

(No SUch Thing as a B+)

Toad Ford Flex 2010

Payed cash from i75 to Miami and back on the Toll Road. Was 850 mile one way. About 13 hour drive time.

Crissville, Tn. To Miami

How much cash did you pay both ways on toll Road?

369070033.jpg

Gee I never kept track. I just kept giving those hands popping out of the booth $$.

Ball park about $20.00 each way. One toll was $15.00 out of Miami. But we drove a long distance before paying that one.

Going down we got off twice to spend a night. We were running ahead of time. To meet our cruise.

Return I never got off. Gas is higher closer to Miami. But same $$ as if you were not on it.

Tom & Bonnie

Crossville, TN.

(No SUch Thing as a B+)

Toad Ford Flex 2010

We've had occasion to use the I-44 toll road here in Oklahoma a couple of times recently. We don't have a tag axle, but do have a toad. It would have saved us $0.50 if we had unhooked the Jeep and driven the two vehicles through separately. The time it would have taken to unhook, drive a mile or so, then rehook wasn't worth the little bit it would have saved.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived