Route 60 east of Phoenix Windshield Damage

hbjoe3

In 8000 miles I had a clear windshield then in a few miles on Route 60, I think in Mesa I took two windshield hits. One small and one large. There were no trucks around when it happened and I always leave plenty of space between me and the folks in front of me.

Frustrated and hoping the windshield can be repaired.

2014 Forest River Legacy

I came through there yesterday with not problems but there was an area where they were working on the road. As we went by a sweeper was cleaning the road. Maybe they didn't get it clean enough.

By the way, I feel your pain. We had a windshield replaced in September and got two rock dings before December. Both turning into long cracks.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

No deductible if you carry comprehensive coverage that has no deductible. Check your policy. Dave

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

No deductible if you carry comprehensive coverage that has no deductible. Check your policy. Dave

Actually, in Arizona, zero deductible glass is a common coverage, and most Phoenicians at least, don't go without it. The comprehensive / collision coverage is seperate, but of course, you must have that to get the zero deductible glass. Our cars and trucks get chips monthly from driving our highways. My cars windshield has been replaced twice in the last 3 months.

If you don't have glass coverage, the average fix from Safelight is $50-$125.00 for a ding.

On edit... FYI... The reason there is so much damage here is because landscape and rock delivery trucks are almost as common as cars, so they always loose rocks, and cars kick them up constantly.

2007 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW

Keystone Everest 5'r

Actually, in Arizona, zero deductible glass is a common coverage, and most Phoenicians at least, don't go without it. The comprehensive / collision coverage is seperate, but of course, you must have that to get the zero deductible glass. Our cars and trucks get chips monthly from driving our highways. My cars windshield has been replaced twice in the last 3 months.

If you don't have glass coverage, the average fix from Safelight is $50-$125.00 for a ding.

On edit... FYI... The reason there is so much damage here is because landscape and rock delivery trucks are almost as common as cars, so they always loose rocks, and cars kick them up constantly.

I also have full glass coverage on my Arizona State Farm policy and have had 3 windshields replaced in the last two years with no increase in rates.

I am new to this forum. This may be a topic already discussed, but I did a search and was unable to find an answer. Do those plastic shields mounted on the front of a truck made by companies like WeatherGuard reduce the incidence of rock damage to windshields? I know they would not work on a Class A but how about trucks?

2010 Toyota Tundra CrewCab 5.7

2005 TrailManor 3326

Large Munsterlander

Kim and Jennifer. Let me welcome you to the Escapees Forums. We hope we can be helpful and that you too will contribute in any way you can.

As for the deflectors, they "may" slightly alter the trajectory of a small rock, but don't count on it. They will have almost no effect on larger rocks. They are more effective against bugs that have very low mass.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Thank you for your response. I live in the mountains of Colorado. I am planning to travel across US 60 to Casa Grande, AZ next month. I was hoping the "bug shield" would help with rocks. I guess I will just be prepared to replace the windshield.

2005 TrailManor 3326

Large Munsterlander

Kim and Jennifer, There is no reason to expect rock damage while driving on US 60 any more than on just about any other road in the country. It can happen anywhere. As an example, a few years ago we drove to Alaska for the summer and wandered all over the state. In spite of driving on many unimproved roads and the entire length, of the Alaska Highway, and the Dalton Highway all the way to Prudhoe Bay on the Arctic Ocean, the only rock damage we had occurred on a major busy 4 lane highway just outside Anchorage.

There are a lot of small landscaping rocks on the roads around the Phoenix area, staying well back from the vehicle ahead of you is your first defense.

Avoiding the 60 is probably a good idea, there is no reason to put up with that section coming through the metro area at a 45 degree angle. The link is the route we always take, much better roads and less traffic. Open the link below and zoom in in sat mode and/or use the street view to see what you'd be driving through. Running down route 74 is a breeze compared to that trip.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Wickenburg,+AZ/Casa+Grande,+AZ/@33.4175544,-112.278908,9z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x80d34e93354c02bd:0x964ea2333ee6ce3a!2m2!1d-112.7301882!2d33.9697664!3m4!1m2!1d-112.1333934!2d33.7910425!3s0x872b63e64294709b:0x74231e7e869e9f6!1m5!1m1!1s0x872a567f774a2d69:0x60c32efe69f161a7!2m2!1d-111.7573521!2d32.8795022!3e0

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Stan, I agree with your route if they are coming from the NW, but since this thread was about the area of US 60 west of Globe, and since he said they lived in Colorado, I kind of thought they were coming from the east.

Our windshield was replaced after retuning from Alaska last year from a chip-ding we got when passed. Three day ago driving north out of AZ we got another chip-ding as WE passed a sixteen wheeler.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I have always carried zero deductible on the glass for the truck. Recently had to replace the windshield on our Subaru Forester. I called our insurance agent to switch the Subaru to zero deductible glass coverage (you have to start that coverage with a new windshield or one in excellent condition). He started running numbers and said, "Wow! This is interesting!" When he explained, he said he could change the coverage on the BOTH vehicles to zero deductible comprehensive coverage (not just glass) for $4/mo more. Guess what I did?

Colorado has so much dust, sand, rocks (especially if you ever get off the main path) that it was certainly worth it. It is especially worth it to me, as that coverage extends to the trailer if damage to the trailer occurs while we are towing.

Might be worth examining your own policies or checking with your own agents.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Stan,

We will be spending a couple of days at a NFS Campground (Vista Linda) just below Jemez Springs, NM to the east before we head into Casa Grande, AZ. That is the reason we were going to use US 60 into Casa Grande. My wife likes the hot springs at Jemez Springs and this particular campground. Perhaps there is a better route on US 40, however we usually like to stick to back roads and away from freeway traffic and semi's. That was why I was planning to use US 60?

2005 TrailManor 3326

Large Munsterlander

As an insurance agent, I can tell you that 99.9% of companies will repair your windshield free (if you carry comprehensive, also know as 'other than collision'). If the repair is unsatisfactory, you can then pay your deductible and have it replaced. The 'covered by dollar bill' is correct. However, they are not supposed to repair a windshield if the repair is deemed to be 'in the direct line of sight' of the driver.

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

Archived