Log books

N TX Dave

I have been searching for a good RV log book, I have searched the forum with no success. Does anyone have a good one for a smart phone? I want one that has a place for date, start and stop mileage, fuel and cost, camping cost, things we did or anyone we meet. The closest I have found that I like is Camper's Daily Log which also has replacement pages but I would rather have an app for my smart phone so that costs and fuel would be totaled for me.

I have looked at an app for my smart phone but the one that looks the best has not been upgraded since 2010 and has bad reviews. I really don't want one for the computer because I can go weeks without booting it up while on the road.

Dave Watkins

Highland Village, TX

2014 F-350 Dually

Open Range 349RLR

VisitedStatesMap.gif

This looks like something one of our computer friends in one of the technical sections of this forum might be able to write. It would probably be a good seller for a smart phone or an iPad. .

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

Even being computer geeks we use paper log books, the small notebook size that fit in a glove compartment. Paper works because entries can vary in size and extra notes can be added, like repairs. We are on our third log book, covering 2001 up to now.

At one time I was playing with writing Android apps and a log book was on my list, but then I realized it was way too much work to write the app I really needed. Plus, I knew I needed to think about the future, so the data had to be easy to transfer to a computer or new phone and be updated there.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Even being computer geeks we use paper log books, the small notebook size that fit in a glove compartment. Paper works because entries can vary in size and extra notes can be added, like repairs. We are on our third log book, covering 2001 up to now.

At one time I was playing with writing Android apps and a log book was on my list, but then I realized it was way too much work to write the app I really needed. Plus, I knew I needed to think about the future, so the data had to be easy to transfer to a computer or new phone and be updated there.

My wife does the paper note book 'system' . Works just fine and no worries about having to update to a different system .

Goes around , comes around .

Believe me if I knew how to write it I would. I have thought about using Excel or even MS Access that way I can make input forms and create any kind of report I wanted, but that means I would have to use my laptop everyday which means I would want to buy a lighter smaller one than my 17", 8 lbs I currently have.

Thanks I was hoping someone had one, I will go to the technical section and see if someone has created one.

Dave Watkins

Highland Village, TX

2014 F-350 Dually

Open Range 349RLR

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Howdy!

When we started fulltiming there was a program we purchased on CD that I loaded onto the laptop. I can't remember the name I beleive it was something like "RV Notebook" just guessing. But it worked great and had all the things and more you've listed. The program is not being used now as they did not keep up with new tectnology software upgrades. I like you would like to see this type of program in a app. For now I simply use my android google calendar to keep track of travels but work like more.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

I wrote an Access application years ago that was an enhancement to our Excel spreadsheet. The issue that caused me to drop development was constantly changing requirements and tools to implement with. It is just far easier to do it in Excel or even on paper.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I'm becoming a fan of Google Drive and the Google Sheets app. Its a spreadsheet application that can be shared across numerous platforms as long as you have a google account. Currently running it on a Win 7 and an 8.1 box plus my android devices (2 tablets and 2 phones). I will admit the phone side of things is a bit hard to use but its there. Actually don't believe you need the sheets application except to create the sheet in the first place. Pretty much performs the same as Excel.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Howdy!

When we started fulltiming there was a program we purchased on CD that I loaded onto the laptop. I can't remember the name I beleive it was something like "RV Notebook" just guessing. But it worked great and had all the things and more you've listed. The program is not being used now as they did not keep up with new tectnology software upgrades. I like you would like to see this type of program in a app. For now I simply use my android google calendar to keep track of travels but work like more.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

I still use some parts of RV Notebook. The original programer passed away in 2009. His children either did not have the ability and/or desire to continue keeping the program up to date.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

I did a search in the app store and the ilog touring companion looks fairly comprehensive. Its $9.99 however.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

My mistake it is for the iPad not iPhone, I went on my phone to load it and could not find it either so I went back to the iTunes and it says iPad only. Darn! I looked at the MS apps and they don't have access, there was a Database app but it did not have forms and did not plan on adding it. Back to the drawing board, I might have to get a iPad for the wife and get the app.

Dave Watkins

Highland Village, TX

2014 F-350 Dually

Open Range 349RLR

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Sorry...didnt realize it was for ipad only. That was what I was searching with.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

• 3 weeks later...

I found this thread because of my interest in log books as a way of avoiding the unintended loss of your domicile status.

If you have established residence in NC for two months, you have to change your driver's license and registration. That would arguably be my case if I stayed at a hookup to work for more than 2 months. To avoid it, I should keep a log book with documents proving that my time in NC was broken up with periods of time when I resided elsewhere, even wallydocking one night. That would require that the log book have receipts tied to journal entries detailing our movements.

1-1/2 ton Toyota pickup. Bought a Hyundai Elantra (manual transmission) as our future toad. Next, the motorhome to pull it!

We asked about logbooks when we were worried about Arizona (our old domicile) and our new South Dakota one since we still spent a few months in Arizona and owned property there.

We were told that a computerized logbook was of little use as we could fake the data in it very easily, a hand written one would be slightly more convincing but still easy enough to forge. What was good, and hard to forge proof was our credit card purchases since there is no way we could sit down some evening and fake up a year's worth of entries.

We still kept a paper logbook with information about campgrounds, good and bad spots in them and any other local info that we'd want to be reminded of. Some basic info got put into a spreadsheet so we could crunch our numbers on campground memberships and trailer mileage.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

When we were cruising on our sailboat we kept a pretty detailed log of our 5-year adventure. Nothing pre-printed met our needs. I ended up using a school notebook with a "hard" cover and bound pages. On Amazon it's called a "Mead Composition Book" and costs about $2.00. It has about 200 pages per book.

I immediately numbered each page; since it is book bound the numbering will make it more "legal". In fact, if you sign each page it would probably be allowed in as evidence at court. :)

This worked well as I could even make small drawings of an anchorage for future reference. I often took "sights" on prominent geographical features in order to detect whether we were moving in the anchorage (dragging). It's big enough to write into easily but small enough to store.

This worked well and, best of all, we still have it some 35 years later and regularly look at it to refresh our memories of the adventure or resolve disputes over the details. :D

If you want to keep a record, don't trust your computer. No matter what they tell you.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Archived