RV Sales Tax

So here's my dilemma. We're in the throes of moving from WA to MT and I would prefer not to pay the state of WA sales tax on the purchase of a used RV. We do own property in MT and have a home being built there. We haven't yet but will soon apply for MT DL's; at which time we surrender our WA DL's.

I'm looking at a coach in CA presently and, if I purchase, plan to drive back to WA briefly and then register in MT.

Forking over $6K to WA during this short transition period is ridiculous. Certainly I could simply wait until we're completely out of here (house sold and moved), but may not want to miss out on a coach I really want.

Anyone else been through this gauntlet... thoughts, other (legal) options?

I don't know how things work in CA, but I bought our truck in MO and paid DMV there less than $15 for a 30 day temporary registration, got it insured,and drove it immediately to NH where the bed was modified. I registered it in MT (LLC) while it was in NH. I think I did mine within the 30 days, but to be honest I don't remember, nor do I know if it needed to be. You may be able to secure a temp registration in CA that would allow you to bring it back to WA on your way to MT.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

So here's my dilemma. We're in the throes of moving from WA to MT and I would prefer not to pay the state of WA sales tax on the purchase of a used RV. We do own property in MT and have a home being built there. We haven't yet but will soon apply for MT DL's; at which time we surrender our WA DL's.

I'm looking at a coach in CA presently and, if I purchase, plan to drive back to WA briefly and then register in MT.

Forking over $6K to WA during this short transition period is ridiculous. Certainly I could simply wait until we're completely out of here (house sold and moved), but may not want to miss out on a coach I really want.

Anyone else been through this gauntlet... thoughts, other (legal) options?

If you buy a vehicle in California you will have to pay Ca sales tax unless you can get the dealer to deliver it to a neighbouring state and take delivery that way

If you buy a vehicle in California you will have to pay Ca sales tax unless you can get the dealer to deliver it to a neighbouring state and take delivery that way

I dont agree with this statement and I am in CA. I bought a tow vehicle for my 5th wheel in CA, which had current registration in SD. We have a SD address and within the allowed time frame, had the vehicle registered in SD and DID NOT pay CA any sales tax. If a CA dealer sells you the vehicle, as long as you are prepared with where you want to register the vehicle, they should provide the service of registering where you want. I dont have personal experience with dealers and registering, though.

Some states require physical vehicle inspections to complete vehicle registrations, but looks like saving $6K might be a good reason to take an RV trip to MT. Some states dont require that you have DL in their state before the vehicle registration.

Not trying to steer anyone in the wrong direction, its just my opinion from some experiences.

Marcel

if you buy a motor vehicle from a dealer in california and don't want to pay sales tax the dealer has to drive the vehicle to a neighbouring state and

actually take a picture of you taking possession in that state no matter what state I personally know of several people whom had to do this to avoid the high Ca sales tax

Now that being said iam sure some dealers may circumvent the law ? or maybe things have changed in the last year or so?

You said and I quote:I bought a tow vehicle for my 5th wheel in CA, which had current registration in SD.

Buying a vehicle in California that's already registered in SD and I assume it was a private deal

is a entirely different animal than what I described

You said and I quote:I bought a tow vehicle for my 5th wheel in CA, which had current registration in SD.

Buying a vehicle in California that's already registered in SD and I assume it was a private deal

is a entirely different animal than what I described

I read his statement to mean the 5er had current SD registration, not the TV.

Don't know about CA, but most states have temporary registrations that you can purchase to get the vehicle home to register and plate it when you are from out of state. If you have an out of state drivers license when you purchase there should be no problem as you can prove you are not a resident. I used to work in insurance any many clients purchased vehicles in other states while traveling, in the military, in the south while snowbirding etc and the dealers all managed to register the vehicles in their home state. For insurance, all it took was a call to our office and we could take care of an existing client over the phone and fax the proof of insurance needed.

Pat DeJong

Don't know about CA, but most states have temporary registrations that you can purchase to get the vehicle home to register and plate it when you are from out of state. If you have an out of state drivers license when you purchase there should be no problem as you can prove you are not a resident. I used to work in insurance any many clients purchased vehicles in other states while traveling, in the military, in the south while snowbirding etc and the dealers all managed to register the vehicles in their home state. For insurance, all it took was a call to our office and we could take care of an existing client over the phone and fax the proof of insurance needed.

yes I believe that's true but unfortuneatly in ca if you buy through a dealer you pay sales tax unless u take physical delivery out of state that's the law

We had to take delivery out of state on both CA RVs we bought, got a CA trip ticket for about $20 that was good for a direct trip to one destination, SD in our case.

What you may want to do is buy in CA, take delivery out of state and drive it to MT where you can put it on a storage lot until you are ready to register it in MT. You'll still need insurance while it is stored and you can get a MT trip ticket to get it to the registration office.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

If you can talk a dealer in CA into ignoring CA sales tax law and failing to collect it when it is legally due, which it is if you don't take out of state delivery, you are a good talker! The dealer knows that if they are audited and come up short in their sales tax payments the state is going to be getting a hefty fine on top of the missing sales tax money sales tax from the dealer. You might escape any problems since it is the dealer that owes the sales tax to the state, not sure on that one though.

I don't know CA law but everywhere I have been involved with sales tax collection folks were very careful not to step an inch over the line as the penalties were really grim.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We had to take delivery out of state on both CA RVs we bought, got a CA trip ticket for about $20 that was good for a direct trip to one destination, SD in our case.

What you may want to do is buy in CA, take delivery out of state and drive it to MT where you can put it on a storage lot until you are ready to register it in MT. You'll still need insurance while it is stored and you can get a MT trip ticket to get it to the registration office.

Stanley, was either of the RV's you purchased from CA through private party? Sounds like the sales tax is only applicable to new/used from dealers? If I purchase from a private party I could do a short term storage in MT until we get the MT driver licenses done.

Stanley, was either of the RV's you purchased from CA through private party? Sounds like the sales tax is only applicable to new/used from dealers? If I purchase from a private party I could do a short term storage in MT until we get the MT driver licenses done.

If they were thru a Private party then he would not have had to take delivery out of state! as we have both said here, its only dealer sold vehicles

I can not speak to Ca law but if you have not looked into Montana LLC's you should. Live in Mo. bought in Tx. registered in Montana. Well worth the extra effort required. jmpo

Bob and Jenise

Class of 2016 Full timers :)

2008 Newmar Essex 45' 500hp ism towing Honda CRV awd

Every day you wake up is a good day!!!!

Archived