Slide-less

Still in the hunt for a nice used class A diesel and seeing some really nice older units w/o slides. In the pro column I should think not having to worry about mechanical issues with slides is good - as well as having the living area be ready to go wherever you are. They also seem a bit more discounted than their close model year cousins where slides came into the market.

For those who previously had slide-less coaches and have made the switch to ones that do... am I simply out of my mind to consider one without?

Some of us simply don't need as much space as others. It helps if you aren't trying to make your RV feel like a house. I prefer a railroad car comparison. But, some people need rooms to feel square and I did enjoy the room to pass one another in our rig that had opposing slides. Only you can decide what works for you.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Our previous coach was a 33' Class A with no slides, and we had a great time in it for a number of years. When we wanted to move ahead several years, we couldn't find a no slide rig with a floor plan we liked, but we did find a 34' coach with a single 14' super slide that had everything we wanted, including complete access to everything with the slide in. Now that we've lived in it for awhile, we really can't imagine going back to a no slide coach. With the slide extended, I think the extra floor space just gives it a more "house like" feel.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

For those who previously had slide-less coaches and have made the switch to ones that do... am I simply out of my mind to consider one without?

We don't really qualify to respond but I think my information might be of interest even so. We bought a 1998 class A that had no slides and even though we were regularly told out RV would not work for fulltime living, we foolishly lived in ours for nearly 12 years and we are so crazy that when we downsized three years ago we bought another RV that has no slides. It really isn't that we don't like slides, we just didn't think that they were vital and we got a much better price without them.

It is important to realize that there were fulltimers long before slides were invented and many of them were quite happy without them. It really doesn't matter at all what others consider vital, it only matters what meets your needs.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have had trailers and fivers not motor homes but the same principles apply. We have had no slide units--mostly fifth wheels--for the majority of our married life. Then we got one with a full slide and the space was amazing. We could actually pass each other in the aisle. We could kick our feet up on a hassock and the other person could still get by. We no longer full-time but still travel at least four months a year. We bought a smaller trailer with a 1/2 slide, thinking that would be fine, but are feeling cramped so we may start looking for the same length trailer but with a full slide. Many people live in a no slide unit and love it but there is a reason that they are getting harder to find. Only you can decide which works for you. As for maintenance, most slides are trouble free and would not be part of my decision either way.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

If you haven't had a unit with slides and like what you see and feel in something, it will probably be OK for a while. I had opposing slides on my last trailer and sometimes miss the room. Don't miss the problems I had with the Kitchen slide though. If you have a choice over space vs quality, I'd recommend the quality.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I started out Full time in a 16 year old 33' gas MH with no slides.

After 3 years and looking at newer ones for 2 years. I found the 3 year old used 34' one, I liked the floor plan in.

Where I wouldn't have to sit on the couch and twist my neck to see the TV.

It happened to have one slide out about 18" deep. And it also happen to be a DP.

I went from 6 MPG to 10 MPG and have enjoyed the slide out for 17 years now with no problem yet. Everything in the slide can be used when in or out.

Slide contains the couch, kitchen double sink, 3 burner stove and convection/microwave.

When traveling I never need to put it out on overnight stays. And don't.

But I do have to leave the hassock on the one end of the couch so I don't have to climb over it in the isle.

I have at times looked at newer MH's but now they all have 3-4 slide outs. I don't need more room in a bed room as I only use it to sleep in and don't like the curb side slid outs that don't have a usable patio awning for shade. But I sure wouldn't want to go back to a no slide MH.

When I took my son and granddaughter on trips with the slid out and couch folded out for sleeping. You could still get through the small isle left to get in/out of the MH.

Without the slide out, one would have to climb over the couch somehow.

With no bedroom slide on mine it is easy to the engine assess hatch for CAC cleaning and changing the final fuel filter.

Did I say I love my 1 slide out? :) I'm also happy with my 34' 7" in length. No need for 5-6' more to clean.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Had a no slide Class A, then a two slide 5er and now again a no slide Class A.

I will add ithe no slide units have been easier to cool and heat in extreme weather which for us seems to be about half of our camping locations. Also we are able to get into/camp in narrow locations restricted in width. Accessing everything in the no slide unit without stopping or extending a slide (like the bed & bathroom) can be a real joy. Not having to clean off the slide or water drips when bring in the slide during wet or snowy weather is also a plus.

rocmoc n AZ/Fld/Baja

We've had 3 class A motorhomes. 2 without slides and the last with 2 slides. The only advantage I see with a slide is a bit more space. The downside list, for us, is a long one. We had a high end unit with 2 slides. Both of which gave us heartache for several years. Weight and structural issues are the main problems.

I'll get yelled at here but a slide will also limit you in some parks. Especially state and national parks. Sure we never had a situation where we could extend the slides but we had plenty of times when we had to juggle around to avoids trees etc. (Even had a commercial park where the rv beside us couldn't put out their awning because our slide was too close).

Simply put we went RVing to relax. The less stress the better. Slides are just one more notch in the stress ladder. Besides we get on well and the 'rubbing' past each other was 'fun'! :rolleyes:

Our next rv wont have slides. Or at the very least be 100% usable with the slides in.

regards

Or at the very least be 100% usable with the slides in.

regards

That was a "must have" for us when we considered a coach with a slide. As it is though, we've never been in a situation so far in any park, including state and national parks, where we didn't have the 30" side clearance we need for our slide. The 100% usability is mostly important to us when we're under way and stopping for breaks.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On our 1st rig, a 32 fifth wheel we had 3 slides. Lots of room. When we knew we needed to move to a DP, finding a used higher end unit with more than 1 slide, in our budget, was an issue. Our MH has a full wall living area slide. We have all the space we need. No bedroom slide makes it super simple to access the engine ( my free mechanic brother loves me for that), I ended up with a closet for my stackable w\d (most bedroom slide rigs would have forced me into a combo unit) and Ron actually has more room on his side of the bed.

We have not had one problem with our slides which have all been hydraulic.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

We're full-timing in a 1993 40' Foretravel with no slides. No space problems. Because of some other issues we're talking about switching to a towable. The ONLY no-slide coaches are Airstreams. We like them, but the lack of CCC is a deal-breaker. Fifth wheels have the CCC we need, but we then get slides. Finding one that lets us access the bathroom and refrigerator with the slides in is a challenge. Motorhomes with slides don't usually have that problem.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

The ONLY no-slide coaches are Airstreams.

This isn't quite true. We own a 2012, KZ Sprotsman Classic with it has no slides and they are still available that way. KZ also has several other models that can be chosen without slides. Keystone also has a few models that have no slides The Arctic Fox 22G has no slides. There are others. Airstreams are very popular with select folks, but they are not the only slide free travel trailer.

There is something to be said for the slmplicity of no slides. We sold our Beaver with two slides and bought a house thereby ending our RV lifestyle. Missing the RV lifestyle we bought an old gasser with no slides, fixed it up for travel and are very happy with the exception of two 80lb dogs. I like the gas configuration as it is something I can work on and no slides just keep it simple. We took several short trips with the dogs and everything seemed to work well. We were encouraged and decided to winter in Arizona as Camp Hosts, a job I have immensely enjoyed. The little Rexhall seemed to shrink as the months rolled on. There are no experts with this, figure out your needs, who will be travling with. I think my next RV will have sldes

Phil, Carol, Ariel, Grey Lady, SKP# 93039

2009 Carriage Cameo

2016 Ram 2500, CTD, 4X4

With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.

http://motojavaphil.blogspot.com/

One of the 1st Class Rv's that we looked at was a Monaco with n/slides Sig series,. Loved it. the floor plan was awesome. plenty of room. Didn't get it cos of the year an getting the finance for it. i now have 2 slides. like it but still dream of having that SS. For me it's all in the Floor Plan, along with how many ppl are going to be in it.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

I think that slides have been a great asset and have added to increased sales of RVs.

I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time in any type of RV without slides. We love the increased

size and our current fiver with super slides across from each other and one in the bedroom makes the inside seem so large

and livable. There have been improvements to slides over the years and I find them mostly reliable. I have seen posts on this forum where

people don't buy RVs with slides because there have been issues with slides over the years. Good Luck

We like some of the models that have one large kitchen slide only.

The one thing to keep in mind, particularly when shopping used is that a kitchen slide is much more likely to experience problems than would a slide in some other room due to the required flexing of things like water connections, drains, electrical wiring, and such. I have never been much of a fan of putting the refrigerator into a slide, but it is fairly common.

The one thing to keep in mind, particularly when shopping used is that a kitchen slide is much more likely to experience problems than would a slide in some other room due to the required flexing of things like water connections, drains, electrical wiring, and such. I have never been much of a fan of putting the refrigerator into a slide, but it is fairly common.

The model we've been eyeing has the refer on the non-slide side. The slide has the kitchen and couch. Unfortunately it looks like we may have missed out on the most recent coach... a Monaco Dynasty York 34.

They must not have made very many of these or those that have them tend to keep them? If anyone knows of another quality mfg./model with similar single slide configuration, I'd appreciate the info. I tried attaching the .pdf file of the floor plan, but it says the file is too large.

You might look at the Foretravels 99-2001, many had single slides. They have larger tankage (some almost double) , larger generator with auto start, 3 way hot water heater, dual furnaces, 6 speed Allison transmission retarders, larger inverter, and more. New they were way more expensive, used, not so much.

They came in three levels of trim, 270, 295, 320. They have almost the same floor plan shown in the one just sold on the west coast.

They also built some 34, but more 36 and 40's.

Dave and Dolly Cobb
Arlington TX

1998 Foretravel, U-295 36', rare mid-door
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, as a toad

Archived