Blue Sky - Heads up tol FL residents

Repkad

In preparation for changing our domicile to Florida, I contacted our insurance company, Blue Sky, customer service to see what premium difference there would be if we moved from New Jersey. They informed me that Blue Sky is not writing new RV policies in the state of Florida. Seems they had too many FL claims and the state would not grant them their requested premium increase for 2016, so they decided not to service this area. That leaves me searching, once again, for someone who will insure full-timers with a singled HDT tow vehicle and fifth wheel RV. Got a quote today from Farm & City through Allied that looked doable. Just wondering if any of you who claim Florida as a domicile and use Blue Sky have heard that they may not renew your policy. Perhaps they can continue to insure existing customers; I'm not sure.

Dottie

Dottie & Bob Repka

SKP #90581

Lifetime Members

2007 Teton Reliance XT-4

2006 Volvo 780, Ultrashift

2014 Smart Car on deck

Sorry to hear about your troubles with Blue Sky.

You may also find issues registering your HDT in Florida. The way their law reads for a Motorhome title, you cannot have a 5th wheel hitch and be registered as a Motorhome. There are some who have registered without the hitch and then added the hitch after the fact, but it is not exactly legal. This issue has been discussed on the forum a few times.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I have blue sky for auto an rv. they were (key word were) giving me great rates, until this january, policy jumped over $200 for auto. after email to agent,

said it was a "state wide" increase. since i had no accidents//claims. funny is that my RV stayed about the same rate as last yr.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I finally got more information from my Blue Sky agent. She said that Customer Service was only partially right. Since I am an existing customer, they will write an RV policy for us in Florida. I got their quote, but as someone else pointed out, I found that the Florida licensing and title requirements are not too friendly to HDT owners. I'm not interested in designating my truck as an RV, so they want to register us under a commercial designation. That opens up a whole other can of worms, so we have now switched from looking for a good insurance company to looking for a different domicile. South Dakota's looking pretty good right now?

Dottie & Bob Repka

SKP #90581

Lifetime Members

2007 Teton Reliance XT-4

2006 Volvo 780, Ultrashift

2014 Smart Car on deck

Florida is a vehicle insurance nightmare as driving is crazy here.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I have Allied from Farm and Country, just did my first year renewal as a full timer. Less than $100 annual increase.

Don Kostyal

CMSgt, ret USAF

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Archived