RV Batteries/Trojan 105

SWharton

Costco 6 volters are 80$ I don't see paying 130-150 for trojan to be a better choice even if one gets 5 years on one set and six on the other

For "casual" users.. ie., in use a few weeks or months out of the year.. that's probably true, however, the chemistries and construction of the "Trojan class" batteries are such that they are capable of maintaining a much greater capacity over a much longer usable life over your typical box store 6v GC's. Taken care of and "exercised" regularly it's not at all uncommon to see a set of "Trojan class" cells still at more than 75% capacity even at the 10yr mark. Effectively reducing ah's of energy costs, over the course of their usable life, from .97 down to as little as .23 over typical box store GC's.

IOW... the potential to deliver more than triple the amount of energy/cost over their usable life for a 60% greater investment from the get go.

Dependability factors also come in to play, but maintained properly and "exercised" regularly, that can come out to more than a 60% cost savings.. all told.

Not everyone is going to see those savings.. granted. For what I would consider a "casual" user, going with a higher quality battery is going to deliver more dependability and greater capacities (Ie., a battery bank with 60% original capacity @ yr 5 vs. 80%) to the extent that you're not going to be loosing any money.

What's attractive about box store GC's is that even if you "goof" on the maintenance a bit, they don't get much chance to go out and play very often and you only get 5 years out of them.. mehhh.. you got your money's worth and it don't "sting" if your battery bank conk's out on ya.

One other aspect to consider... for "heavy" solar folks you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot and hemorrhaging your investment if your 5 yr old battery bank is only operating at 60% of original capacity and ya got no where to shtick all the juice your system is capable of producing. Kind of like putting a Honda Civic engine in your Cadillac. B):lol:

That being said.. even with a less capable battery bank.. if your daily energy requirements are being met.. what does it matter, right?! That's why an energy audit is absolutely critical before sitting down to design a solar/battery system to meet your specific needs. "Waste not want not".

The soap box is now yours. :P:lol:

YAROME

Is this your opinion? or do you have written proof one can read? T105 and Costco batterys weight the same 62 lbs each, same ratings etc

what makes you believe them to be so superior to such a degree?

exactly what are the ""chemistries and construction"" differences between the two?

Thanks

GC batteries threads are like tire threads - opinions do vary:)!

Agree with Yarome that for occasional off shore power usage, big name store BC 6V's are going to serve you well.

For those that boon dock a bit more, picking batteries with enough total AH's is important. Along with DoD Life Cycles, with more being better.

And for those that are in areas of risk of power outages (hurricanes, tornados, wild fires, earthquakes, ice storms, locust, whatever), and see our RV's as being an extended emergency preparation as much as recreation fun - then paying extra for better quality batteries, and AH capacity - can add to your safety edge.

No right or wrong on this, and for sure the person writing the checks makes the decisions.

Some good quality brands are: Trojans, Rolls, Crowns in wet cell config. On AGM's, toss in Lifeline's into the mix. If in the camp of wanting extra safety edge, suggest AGM's, with IMO Lifeline's being the ones to go with.

And no, I'm not going down into 'chemistries and construction differences'. Searching RV and Boating forums, as well as off grid home usage - can data mine all kinds of info on these differences.

I do use our rig as our emergency lifeline, fires and earthquake zone of Southern California. And I did oversize our needs, and anti up for Lifelines. That was my choice as I wrote my check:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

And guys, no disrespect intended to Deka, Full River, etc., etc.. Heck jumping up from the top of the line wet cell, to the middle of the pack AGM's, is also not a bad way to go, and save a few bucks. AGM's do recharge faster, especially Lifelines, due to higher charging voltage, and that adds to the safety edge. All subject to opinion:)!

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Smitty

thanks for the reply. I have researched as much as I need and see no difference between a Costco 200amp 6 volt and a Trojan 200 amp 6 volt

except ones 135$ and ones 80$

If someone out there has the access to the ""chemistries and construction"" differences I would really like to read the info first hand

Costco batteries are $80 plus $55 Costco membership. :)

everyone usually has a membership.mines actually 110 but I buy enough the rebate more than pays the membership fee

Six X$80X8 %= $518.40 Six 105 Trojan cost $840+8%= $907.20

lets say Costco last 6 years and Trojan last 9 years even though there the same rates and the same weights

Its $101.00 to own Trojen and $86.00 to own Costco per year and I have not found any proof that the 105 is

actually any better never mind 3 years better what so ever compared to the Costco/interstate

Is this your opinion? or do you have written proof one can read?

The opinions on intended usage for the different classes of cells are my own. Lifecycles, capacities, ah/cost, chemistries and construction differences are well documented and factual. A little data mining will provide you with more information than you could ever want... or... call and speak to a Trojan tech who would be more than happy to explain the differences in their batteries compared to the generic GC's found in most big box stores. (I say "generic" simply because they are almost all manufactured by the same company but distributed under different branding.)

Bottom line.. if you're happy with what you have, how they perform for your specific needs, and it suits your budget... Go for it! B)

There is a lot of good reading on the Trojan battery website, several of the other higher end brands had some good stuff last time I looked.

A battery looks simple but the actual construction is pretty complex and has to take into account all the stresses the battery is subjected to. Making it even more complicated the plate chemistry is a pile of trade-offs between cost, lifetime, charge rates and storage ability along with a lot of other factors that my brain can't remember tonight.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

everyone usually has a membership.mines actually 110 but I buy enough the rebate more than pays the membership fee

Six X$80X8 %= $518.40 Six 105 Trojan cost $840+8%= $907.20

lets say Costco last 6 years and Trojan last 9 years even though there the same rates and the same weights

Its $101.00 to own Trojen and $86.00 to own Costco per year and I have not found any proof that the 105 is

actually any better never mind 3 years better what so ever compared to the Costco/interstate

Everyone(usually) doesn't include me. I have never been in a Costco store, never had a membership there or the Sam Club or a BJ's.

My MH doesn't have the storage room to hold 40 rolls of this or that to save a little money. :)

I checked a few things on Costco web site and can get the same items for the same price on Amazon with free shipping.

The OP was asking about Crown Batteries. Is that who makes the $80 Costco battery?

The 2 sets of T-105's I have had in the same MH have lasted 7 years 11 months & 7 years 3 months.

Next time they are needed replaced may be in early 2023 sometime.

MH will be over 25 years old then and I may not be around.

Chassis batteries was replaced at 7 years 9 months(still working replaced on age) Second ones were replaced when cranking speed seemed to slow down at 9 years 0 months.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I personally would rather replace the batterys every 6 years at $14.50 per battery per year with Costco ones rather than pay $18.75 per year per battery

for Trojan ones based on 8 year . Also to note the last 2 years of Trojan according to the expert here are less than 75 % of new quality wise

so far no one here has even proved or shown evidence the Trojan last 2-3 years longer than the Costco ones

I used 6 and 8 years as a comparison $$$ wise. if they lasted the same amount of time then Costco efficiency would almost double to $8.00 per year

so far no one here has even proved or shown evidence the Trojan last 2-3 years longer than the Costco ones

Has anyone here proved or shown evidence how long the Costco batteries last?

Do they last 6 years or maybe only 3-4?

A google search came up with no known test between the two.

$8 a year isn't much compared to how much any RV depreciated in $$$$ in the last year.

And Tires is another story. I replace them at 10 years if needed or not.

The 6 tire average cost for the next 10 years will be $314.58 a year if no blow out in that time.

In 2008 my fuel cost was 0.388¢ a mile or $388 every 1,000 miles and for 2015 it was 0.259¢ a mile or $259 every 1,000.

I travel around 4K miles a year so it cost me $516 more for fuel in 2008 then 2015. So the battery $8 a year is no big deal.

And looks like my 2016 cost per mile may be lower then last year. :)

Like the difference between a Ford & Chevy buy the batteries that work for you and you are happy with.

Myself I like fully loaded Lincolns. :)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Does Sams Club have their own 6v batteries also?

We belong to Sams primarily for the 5% back at the pump for gas and diesel(either theirs or anyone else). That easily makes up for the membership cost plus($45). I had considered also joining Costco but their membership cost is way too high. We generally get our fuel at Sams Club as there is always enough space to our MH and toad, plus they carry both gas and diesel and their price is generally 10-15 cents lower per gal. Also, if you use the Sams Club Credit Card you get either 1% or 3%(depending what you are charging) back on everything else plus it is a MC card. A negative for Costco for us has been the AMEX card and finding places that will accept it. I understand they are now changing over to either Visa or MC though.

Does Sams Club have their own 6v batteries also?

They don't store brand them but they do carry golf cart batteries and the also have group 27 batteries for sale. I have their GC8 batteries in our golf cart and they seem to be serving quite well. I have also used the group 27 batteries from them in our previous motorhome with good success.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived