A new challenge

phoenix2013

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if you put the hinge inside the box the ladder should be able to stand straight up. The top tread will be about 51 inches from the floor (42+9) and should clear the trunk lid without needing to fold the treads themselves.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

I think if you put the hinge inside the box the ladder should be able to stand straight up. The top tread will be about 51 inches from the floor (42+9) and should clear the trunk lid without needing to fold the treads themselves.

Nigel

Nigel, you are awfully close, very very warm. There were two clues in post # 26

Take a look at these.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Alright I understand where you're going. I didn't understand that the whole assembly would fold up to the door for travel. I thought that the "cover"- part that has the hinge attached to it- was a permanent part of the deck.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

How about a hydraulic lift?

Mike, I think at my "advanced age" I should allow myself only one hydraulic steps design. But I want you to know that the second kit of hydraulic steps has traveled with me to Florida and occupies a prominent space on the shelves, essentially saying all the time "hey, what about me". Davena and I discussed installing it before ECR, for the reasons you know.

Couple of questions regarding the design:

What keeps the ladder upright?

Won't the ladder bang against the door when the door is closed?

How do you pull the ladder down into position without first climbing up onto the platform which is what you want the ladder for?

Why not just mount ladder to inside of door such that when door is opened 90 degrees ladder can pivot down and if needed can have an angle to rest on platform? Plus then you can have a grab rail mounted on inside of door as an assist. If door needs to be secured, you can use a drop pin into a hole into the rear platform.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Couple of questions regarding the design:

What keeps the ladder upright? Gravity, when folded, it will actually be folded into an A frame with a forward tip (5 degrees)

Won't the ladder bang against the door when the door is closed? Gravity and the angle will transfer most of the weight forward onto the short ladder extensions resting on the floorboards. I'm assuming some simple latching against the floorboards to keep it there.

How do you pull the ladder down into position without first climbing up onto the platform which is what you want the ladder for? In the (almost) vertical position it should be relatively easy to tip the whole assembly backwards and unfold.

Why not just mount ladder to inside of door such that when door is opened 90 degrees ladder can pivot down and if needed can have an angle to rest on platform? Plus then you can have a grab rail mounted on inside of door as an assist. If door needs to be secured, you can use a drop pin into a hole into the rear platform.

Project is almost finished, there are few small details left, ladder support against the vertical bumper wall, platform support, rails, etc., at this stage everything is dimensioned and fits.

Here's the sequence from how it is stored and unfolds.

final%25201.jpg

final%25202.jpg

final%25203.jpg

final%25204.jpg

Steve, it's just the angle of the "picture I took" off the CAD screen. If you look directly from the side, there is plenty of clearance between the tips of the platform and the 1 inch thick door.

final%25205.jpg

In this folded configuration the short sections of the ladder are tight against the bottom of the platform, the whole assembly is tilted about 5 degrees beyond vertical, the ladder hinges are closed to within 10 degrees of each other which causes the second from the top step to touch the platform, the bottoms of the ladder are cut at 5 degrees and sit flat on the floor boards. Getting whacked on the knuckles as a youth in the math classes has payed off.

What is the thickness of the floorboards?

Steve, in the stowed position ( shown above) the distance between the inside of the door and the furthest point on the platform is around 2 1/4 inch.

final%25206.jpg

If that distance was around 4 inches would it clear the items stowed on the back of the door?

It's looking great! I think I could make it work with 4" of clearance.

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

I'm going to redo the design for 4 inches clearance. In the meantime I have a suggestion for anyone needing a "four stepper" in-drome or anywhere ladder http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Skinny-Mini-4-Step-Steel-Stool-Ladder-with-Project-Tray-HSP-4TG/203124303 Very sturdy, generous step widths, lightweight and folds flat to about inch and half.

I'm going to redo the design for 4 inches clearance. In the meantime I have a suggestion for anyone needing a "four stepper" in-drome or anywhere ladder http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Skinny-Mini-4-Step-Steel-Stool-Ladder-with-Project-Tray-HSP-4TG/203124303 Very sturdy, generous step widths, lightweight and folds flat to about inch and half.

Do you have one of those Phoenix? 225# weight limit won't allow me to carry my saddle down the steps. That is what has kept me from purchasing many of the ladders or steps at the Home Depot. There are days that I am at of above the weight limit of most and I really don't think I'm all that fat. I'm big boned.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I'm not fat, just short for my weight. ;)

Lowes carries a line of folding, extendable ladders which are pretty good. Don't recall the name right now. Home Depot has a similar ladder that is JUNK. I have one of each.

For a really sturdy extendable step ladder try googling Little Giant ladder system. Expensive, and worth every penny.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I'm not fat, just short for my weight. ;)

Lowes carries a line of folding, extendable ladders which are pretty good. Don't recall the name right now. Home Depot has a similar ladder that is JUNK. I have one of each.

For a really sturdy extendable step ladder try googling Little Giant ladder system. Expensive, and worth every penny.

Little Giant and Hailo make also these including models that go to 5 and 6 steps. I agree that the one I have seems a little "thin", but I feel comfortable on it with my 200 lbs "bulk". The key to the whole thing is "four steps" and the high safety bar to grab on while you are piling things on high shelves. In my not so humble opinion two or three stepper, although it might get you high enough, are pretty much useless and not safe for those purposes.

The Little Giant folding ladders and their clones are also called "Finger Pinching Ba&%ards". Careful on the closing of them.

My Little Giant is an older model, before they added the "Safety" bracing. Both my Louisville and Werner clones will indeed pinch fingers. But, you'll only do it once. :P

Can't remember which of the clones is the POS, but it was the one from Home Depot. It's been my experience that while a bit cheaper prices may be found at HD, so is lesser quality.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Lowes has a really nice 3-step that is made o aluminum and LIGHT. It folds to about 1.5" thick. Great for inside use for high cabinets. The steel ones are heavy and awkward in use for Danielle. Of course, the aluminum will not work for "hefty" people.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived