How do I get my new truck home?

13speed

Dolly,

You been drinking some of that goat juice again? "Risk averse" is Not taking risks. I agree with the intended I think,

premise of getting the proper insurance for the trip.

Steve,

Boy do you have me dialed in.........my prune juice have kicked up to about 11% Alc just like Buba's pruno in the big house.......Ok, ok , so this is obviously the case of a dumb old geezer abusing a "smart phone" .......the darn smart phone sould have shifted the word thingys around to Adverse-Risk........

So this is a bit like the Very Grumpy Capt that is wondering all over the approach plate on a CAVU day with at least +100 mile vis so...... to show the kid (me) what a real bird man is like, he decides to Land the Albitross on 10,600 feet of runway........so.......we crater in hard enough that his sun visor is hanging straight down and my sunglasses are down under the rudder peddles..........and he glares at me and spits out some venom and says ......"well Kid, you sure abused that trim wheel hard....kid".........

But the capt. is always............right.....

Drive on..........(Get the adverse on the correct side of the.....risk)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it's judgement day. I am leaving Atlanta in a hour or so to drive down to the truck dealership. More of the same nervous/excited feeling today.

I got a insurance policy through Progressive Commercial insurance from Miller RV insurance in Lake Oswego OR. It is a commercial policy which was expensive to cover me till it is singled. Then I can drop down to a much cheaper policy.

I have a WA temp tag for the windshield and I hope that it will get me by. I have my CDL and insurance and I will have my bill of sale so I think I will be ok.

I set up the LLC and will use it for the first year till I figure out where we are making our home base. As I think I said before after I get home the truck will not be going very far for the first year so I should be fine and have time to figure thing out.

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

13 Speed, congrats and good luck and also a safe trip home with your new truck remember the journey has just begun, keep us posted on how everything goes, safe travels.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I hadn't read this thread until this morning.. but if I might just interject on the business aspects. I'm not quite sure what the intended purpose is in establishing an LLC, but even so, just a few things to consider:

1. The HDT must be sold to and purchased by the LLC. Payment made from an LLC owned account.
2. It must be registered and titled under the name of the LLC... sales taxes/fees/etc. may possibly be more expensive.. and/or additional fees may apply for a commercial entity that may not necessarily apply for an individual. (Dunno.. not in my wheelhouse)
3. Commercial insurance must be obtained by the LLC... not an individual. You would simply be added as a driver.
4. Owned by an LLC.. the HDT is a commercial vehicle regardless of how it is configured.
5. Have you thought about the additional/separate year end taxes/etc. for the LLC that will need to be done?

If all of those ducks are not in a row then you'll have issues. Ie., if your name appears on the title... 'you' own it.. not the LLC. The LLC could most certainly take out a policy for it (aka. an insurance company would be more than happy to take your money), but if there was ever a claim made it would most likely be denied because it doesn't actually own it.. and in the eyes of the insurance company.. has no direction, hence, no responsibility for it's use.

Among a myriad of other issues.

An LLC is a completely separate entity.. even if you are the owner.

After it is reconfigured, goes "private" and re-insured as a private vehicle... it can no longer be insured by the LLC. It would then need to be "sold" to you and re-titled/registered in your name. Will you need to pay sales tax.. again.. in your state? (Dunno.. out of my wheelhouse)

To me it seems quite overly costly and an over complication for what you are trying to accomplish. There may be some other reason I missed to do so, but.. "there it is". ;)

13 Speed, congrats and good luck and also a safe trip home with your new truck remember the journey has just begun, keep us posted on how everything goes, safe travels.

X2

Have fun!

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I bought the truck and it is very clean like the pictures suggested. There are a few things I will have Volvo look at but over all it seems to be a decent truck. I made it to just south of Nashville and went through two scales and did not get messed with so fingers crossed. I have a lazy day tomorrow as I have just 6.5 hours of driving to get to Columbia MO where I will stay the night and drive the hour to meet with Marsha at SC on Wednesday. Then the serious driving will start on Thursday to get back home.

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Congrats!

Thank you Sir!

13 speed Good for you... travel safe. We were in Columbia, Mo. on Monday, but now more southwest. Leave the road open, so we can headed that way (Spokane) in two weeks. Isn't that truck fun to drive...?? OU812 :)

You are headed north this late in September? It's starting to cool down....time to head in the opposite direction!:)

It is fun to drive I have not done a road trip in a truck in a long time let alone in a Volvo. I did have a few hour delay today when I stopped for fuel and a air leak left the transmission in lock down. Luckily there was a shop at the stop and they had a replacement "purge valve" the excess air release and with that and some huge spin on filter that looked old that he said should be replaced got me back on the road. Between the $244.00 repair and the $250.00 in fuel it was a expensive few hours.

I am somewhere in Illinois (yuck) out side of St Louis about 2 hours short of where I needed to be to get to Spacecraft tomorrow so I will have to get moving early. Beers, bed and go!!!

2018 NH 48' Majestic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I am approaching decision time on my truck purchase.  I decided to try and study up on my options so I read this thread and another one.  I also would like to know what happened.

On 10/19/2016 at 8:03 PM, palmer_md said:

So I'm assuming you made it to SpaceCraft and then home with the new truck. Haven't seen any updates.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

1 hour ago, Sculptor said:

I am approaching decision time on my truck purchase.  I decided to try and study up on my options so I read this thread and another one.  I also would like to know what happened.

Are you trying to decide about the driving part? 

I drove my truck from CA to GA about a month or so ago. Funny how so many of us go across the country to get our trucks, but when the right one shows up, we jump on it. My truck was already registered as an RV and the previous owner let me keep his plates and registration for the drive home, plus I had my insurance on it. I decided to stop at the scales since bobtail you don't look like an RV and figured that was better than getting chased down. I think we hit 4-5 scales on the 2k mile drive home. Every single one of them stopped us and wanted to see my paper work, which one scruitenized it a bit. I was specifically told they were looking for private owner on the registration and not a company name or LLC. 

I was glad I got to do the drive as I really got to know my truck over that drive. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

8 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

Are you trying to decide about the driving part? 

Yes I want to drive it home myself.  For the reasons you mention, plus I need practice, I only have maybe a few minutes behind the wheel at the 2 rallies we attended.  I am a good defensive driver and I feel very capable of making a big trip and learning the truck as I go.

Many of the points made here are valuable to us with no experience.  The private HDT RV must be very rare for the weight enforcement people.  On a normal day I'm sure I would be just one more truck on the road.  

I assumed (wrong I know) the first drive home would be like a passenger car or pickup truck, some sort of temporary tags and paper from my insurance company.  But further use must be done correctly for the state I'm registered in.

I glanced at the rules in my state (NC) but that was last year.  I need to study them again.  I had not considered registering in SD but will look up that info now, and non commercial license reqs here also.  Rather than complicate the HDT ownership, these things might actually simplify it.

One item I have not seen mentioned above, if my wife will drive this new HDT RV some of the time on our trips does this complicate the registration or insurance?  I don't think she will want to get a class b license. (Or whatever is needed here)  I may find this answer when I study up on NC laws.  I realize singling the truck will eliminate need for licenses but I hope to put a car on the bed one day.  I would like to leave it dual axle.  

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

SD is easy.  Fill out the affidavit saying that you have the correct equipment and the Class 8 truck is now an RV.  NC will be tough to do.  Even when I was in business there it was tough with company trucks, hauling trailers and boats, and scales.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

1 minute ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

SD is easy.  Fill out the affidavit saying that you have the correct equipment and the Class 8 truck is now an RV.  NC will be tough to do.  Even when I was in business there it was tough with company trucks, hauling trailers and boats, and scales.

Wow it might just be the second pot of coffee, but I'm charged up now!  Thanks for that info A&J!  I am just starting to read the NC manual now.  You might have saved me some time.   :D

Does a South Dakota RV have an axle or load requirement?  It makes sense it would just be a license requirement of each state but thought I should ask anyway.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Don't be thinking that just because South Dakota doesn't require a special Drivers License, that other states do not. Will you move your state of domicile to SD as well? You're not clear in the above posts whether you are referring to DL or vehicle license, or both.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Just now, rickeieio said:

Don't be thinking that just because South Dakota doesn't require a special Drivers License, that other states do not. Will you move your state of domicile to SD as well? You're not clear in the above posts whether you are referring to DL or vehicle license, or both.

As a resident of SD, and with the truck, excuse me, motorhome registered there, I do not need anything other than an SD license to operate the motorhome in any state.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

30 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

As a resident of SD, and with the truck, excuse me, motorhome registered there, I do not need anything other than an SD license to operate the motorhome in any state.

Duh, I should have been clearer.  I was referring to Kevin (Sculptor).  My bad for leaving out important words.:unsure:

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

46 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Thanks for the reality check Rick.

(I had written more about my intentions, but decided not to change the subject.  My reason for joining the discussion was "that first drive home")

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Well I have been reading the North Carolina regs off and on for 3 days.  I originally wanted to drive (still a prospective) new truck home.  

There will be a temporary tag issued by the seller.  A non-commercial dl will be required with, I believe, an air brake endorsement, for legal everyday driving.

On the first drive home the truck will still be a commercial truck.  I have found some info on getting it re-titled and have hopes this can be done without much agony but that will be later after getting it home.  Thank you to those who posted on the HDT info site for NC.

So far a couple of big gaps.  1. A commercial truck being transported.  2. Me the driver with only a class C driver license.  

I think I can handle the tests but the required 14 day waiting period may not work well for me.  Also have considered and priced having the truck delivered. Not ideal, but not out of the question.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Kevin, do you know someone or have a friend who has a CDL?  That's how I hedged on my trip home.  

Yes, it means springing for another plane ticket or whatever mode to get the second person to help with the return trip, but it will be cheaper than a delivery or getting shut down by Johnny Law (Phil Law?) enroute.

Just a thought...

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Just now, Av8r3400 said:

Kevin, do you know someone or have a friend who has a CDL?  That's how I hedged on my trip home.  

Yes, it means springing for another plane ticket or whatever mode to get the second person to help with the return trip, but it will be cheaper than a delivery or getting shut down by Johnny Law (Phil Law?) enroute.

Just a thought...

I'm going through the same thing.  After 2 hours at the NYS DMV today, that was my first call.  I will be bringing a friend with a class A CDL along.

Sean

I also brought along a friend with a CDL too for my 2k mile drive home. In GA I was able to get my Class E permit (non commercial class A eqivalent) by just taking a written test before the trip, but technically I needed another Class E driver or Class A with me to be 100% legal. In the end the extra money flying the friend and covering all his expenses was so much better than doing it on my own. We were able to split the driving and keep things rolling. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

31 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

Just a thought...

A good idea, thanks. I can't think of a friend who does but I can ask a couple of people who might know.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Archived