Freedomline voltage doubler module part number for non ZF part?

lockmup68

Hi all,

Found a previous topic that was locked that had this quote in it:

"web site and part number for the lower cost, domestically sourced, non-ZF voltage doubler that Big5er found when his truck was down." But no part number or website was listed. My google search fu is failing me, so I thought I would ask if anybody saved the info.

2003 International 9200i (bluenoser's old rig) ISX and freedomline, SM code on display. Shifts fine manually, skip shifts, fwd and rev, just won't go into auto mode (arrows do not come on.) Going to trace the wires to battery and check fuses as per other discussion. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day,

Shannon

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

not only check fuses - but clean fuse holder(s) inside and out , and clean connections, every one you can find no matter how inconsequential .

-battery terminals .

-each end of the wires going to the doubler.

all of them.

hope that works ,it always does for me ......... every spring. :-)

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

We found a part number on his old part. Googled it and found the part. If I remember it came out of Washington state. He will chime in here soon I'm sure.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Check this thread

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=113786&p=729930

There is a direct link to the part and the part number. When my Freedomline started acting up it wouldn't shift up and wouldn't go into "auto" until it warmed up. It eventually went belly up totally. It was also throwing codes that led my mechanic to "guess" it was the doubler. He recommended having the local dealer verify his over the phone diagnosis. Turns out he was right.

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Huh? It works for me.

So I went back to that thread and copied the link to the part.http://www.ase-supply.com/Sure_Power_41222_DC_to_DC_Converter_p/sp-41222.htm

2014 smart Fortwo

not only check fuses - but clean fuse holder(s) inside and out , and clean connections, every one you can find no matter how inconsequential .

-battery terminals .

-each end of the wires going to the doubler.

all of them.

hope that works ,it always does for me ......... every spring. :-)

so really dumb question, where is the doubler located and how do i get to it? underneath?

thanks,

Shannon

Huh? It works for me.

So I went back to that thread and copied the link to the part.http://www.ase-supply.com/Sure_Power_41222_DC_to_DC_Converter_p/sp-41222.htm

Thanks a bunch. It will shift fine in manual, fwd, rev, skip shift, etc. Just will not go into auto mode. I followed the link to the manuals and tried to get the fault codes to display by pressing the neutral and function switches at same time, but no go.

Now the big question, where do I find a freedomline tech to look at it. Search on ZF shows one place in Louisville, nothing in Alabama, one in Arkansas, not looking good.

Really dumb newbie question, how do I find a good mechanic?

Completely non-related, the muffler fell off on way home from picking it up, was completely rusted out. I found a diesel shop and got a muffler and clamps and got it all fixed up this aft. The turndown (weedburner) is right in front of the air can on the front axle. Is there any recommended distance to be in front of it? I think It dumps about 6 inches in front of the can. Kind of in between the can and the diff.

Thanks,

Shannon

Try your local Volvo dealer for a Freedomline mechanic, most of them still keep their people up to date on that tranny or so my dealer says.

And the doubler is right on top of the transmission. It's right under the access hatch in the floor, but I'm told that a "good" mechanic can get it off from below.

2014 smart Fortwo

Try your local Volvo dealer for a Freedomline mechanic, most of them still keep their people up to date on that tranny or so my dealer says.

And the doubler is right on top of the transmission. It's right under the access hatch in the floor, but I'm told that a "good" mechanic can get it off from below.

Thanks a bunch.

Some follow up info for other freedom line owners.

Called the ZF freedom line support number (if you call the ontrac number in the manual, it transfers you over to ZF). All agents busy, but let's you leave a vmail for a callback. Guy named Jeff called back about an hour later. I had left a detailed message on truck and problem. Call was 3 min long.

He asked, "does SM code come on with the key or only when you shift into gear?" Only when shift into gear. "Let me guess, ABS light came on right when this happened, right?" Yup. So, if ABS light is on, trans will not operate in auto. Fine to run it in manual mode. Just get abs code fixed.

The trans CPU has to have speed inputs from all abs sensors in order to determine shifting, so if there is a bad signal, it disables auto mode as a safety precaution.

I asked him if there was any possibility of damaging anything in the trans running it until I get abs fixed, he said, "you will get worse fuel mileage."

Now to find a shop to get abs and AC fixed.

HTH,

Shannon

Edited by Lockmup68

Good news. Congrats on the truck. You'll like it.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Great information, Thanks. Wish mine had been as easy as ABS sensors :)

2014 smart Fortwo

Great information, Thanks. Wish mine had been as easy as ABS sensors :)

We'll see if it fixes it tomorrow. I've read that different internationals had the ABS hardware in different places, sometimes in drums, sometimes external, sometimes whatever they felt like. could be wires, tone rings, rust, etc. Heading to shop at 0700 on Monday. I'll let everyone know.

I would say, do call the freedomline support at ZF. I was about to head to mechanic and let them figure it out for hours. One old guy told me, "just get a big hammer and beat the hell out of the shifter side and it'll get going eventually. Them freedomlines get gunked up and stick."

I don't understand why the ABS light would have anything to do with the shifter. Please explain. My ABS light has been on for 7 years and my Freedomline works fine. It is looking for an axle that is somewhere in Canada.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Brad, maybe because yours is looking at "no" signal and his is getting "conflicting" signal?

2014 smart Fortwo

Brad,

The transmission needs front and rear wheel speeds to determine when to shift (as well as engine rpm). It also needs to see if you have a differential between front and rear wheels to see if wheel spin is happening.

This^^^^

If the light is on simply due to missing rear axle, it can still determine front to back wheel speed (from what I understand).

Deciphering the ABS blink code, I believe it is driver's side ABS sensor that is on the fritz.I'm hitting the international dealer tomorrow morn to find out.

HTH,

Shannon

On my Freightshaker I have a switch to hold down to read the codes. Mine behind drivers seat. Panel in wall, swings out for access. Abs module directly under it. Might find yours if locate module and follows wires up.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

depending on what system you have on your truck, here are the blink codes and how to retrieve.

Bendix:

http://www.bendix.com/media/documents/products_1/absstability/truckstractors/134863.pdf

Meritor-Wabco

http://www.meritorwabco.com/MeritorWABCO_document/mm28.pdf

Mine is a switch under the dash labeled "ABS Blink" up is on, down is momentary. The bendix system had a button on the ECU behind the dash panel (depending on truck).

HTH,

Shannon

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up.

Fixed the ABS light with a new harness from International. The harness was only $105, but figuring out the issue was 6 hours of shop time. The guy who stretched the rig used about 20 butt connectors instead of getting the longer harness and the voltage was dropping tremendously from front to back and I'm pretty sure there was a loose connection in there.

So new rear ABS harness and good to go. Trans is shifting beautifully now.