If you are in Texas - HDT's are not welcome at Buc-ees

Big5er

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go by there daily on route to and from work. I may just drop in and stir the pot some.

LOL My godfrey Glenn you have now officially certified yourself as a "pipeliner".

I do know some and you make me think about all of "usins'' sittin` with a cool one.

Thanks for making my day.

(as a disclaimer the only welding I could do was to make holes. Thank god for friends)

been there done that had to leave????

97 9200 cornbinder super 10 M11E cummins 1350 ftlbs
81 CJ7 jeep
2000 36ft nuwa king dome onan 6500LP gen/remote start
94 sport Nautique
2007 dyna wide glide 6 speed
N7UVW
2007 30ft work&play-LK-- toy hauler by forest river

2006 Alfa toyhouse 40 ft

2010 42kz Escalade toyhauler

If neither of you guys get a response from the emails then, I think that gives us our answer as to just a poor uninformed manager or a poor company.

I still haven't heard anything back from their customer service people. Have you Rocky?

Publication1_zpsasncackf.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Well I heard from Buc-ees late last Wednesday. A two line reply that said "RV's are always welcome. They are the best, Don".

Well I replied to Don asking if that was the case why had several of us been turned away and again giving him a link to this thread....and so far "Don" hasn't responded.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

We have never been to one of these fuel stops or even seen one, but the next time in Texas, we will look for them and wave & blow

air horn as as we drive by. If you get window decal made up, I want one. Stay safe, the sailor

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

• 4 weeks later...

IN CONTRAST:

I recall looking at one of the Costco's with diesel this summer on Google Earth and thinking it might be tight getting our truck and trailer in and out for fuel, particularly if they had lines at the pumps. I called them to find out which pumps had diesel, asked about lines, and if big 5vrs had been having any problems.

The gas pump manager told me they only had diesel in one island, suggested the best lane, told me where I could turn around to come back for next lane to fill our tank on the other side AND OFFERED TO SET OUT CONES AND/OR MANAGE OTHER TRAFFIC to the pumps if I needed the room to get in or out of the pumps.

The manager I spoke to, came over while I was pumping, complimented the rig, and reminded me that he would help if I needed it. Like all the Costco's I have filled at so far, the hose was long enough run it across the deck between smart and drome box to fill tank on the opposite side without moving the truck. The manager had long arms and helped me get the hose to the other side.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Costco in Florence, Kentucky, gave us a huge surprise this last season while we were bobtailing it around the country looking for a new rig.

When we pulled up the manager of the fuel islands came out with cones in hand and said that he would block off both lanes in front of us and when the cars in those lanes finished fueling and left, that we could simply pull up in between the two lanes and that way we could fill from pumps on both sides of us.

It worked out real well, and we thanked the guy. He said glad to have us and come again.

That was service!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I'll have to remember Costco. We have been using Murphys with success as well. Only 1 couldn't figure out how to turn off the $100 limit.

The limit is set by the credit card company. When diesel was $4 per gallon, I raised a ruckus with Mastercard about this. Only solution was to let the fuel station hold my credit card while I fill up. I won't do that.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

The limit is set by the credit card company. When diesel was $4 per gallon, I raised a ruckus with Mastercard about this. Only solution was to let the fuel station hold my credit card while I fill up. I won't do that.

We sometimes simply restart the pump with a 'new' purchase . Worked every time , so far .

Sure it's a bit more hassle , but also much more secure .

Goes around , comes around .

There are some issues with simply restarting the pump - other than convenience. Some credit card company automatic fraud programs will stop your fueling of further use of your card if you do that.

The best way to get a complete fueling is to use a gift card from Walmart. This works at Sams or at the Murphy. One shot and you are done. Use the excess shopping at Sams or Walmart.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

There are some issues with simply restarting the pump - other than convenience. Some credit card company automatic fraud programs will stop your fueling of further use of your card if you do that.

The best way to get a complete fueling is to use a gift card from Walmart. This works at Sams or at the Murphy. One shot and you are done. Use the excess shopping at Sams or Walmart.

It may help if you notify the card company that you are traveling and that such a thing might happen .

Goes around , comes around .

It's been my experience that two swipes of the card never causes a problem, while a third almost always does (regardless of which card it is, or whether you've notified them of travel plans). The filling station ultimately sets the limit, not the credit card company--typically they authorize a $1 transaction, then submit the actual amount for settlement after you finish pumping. If the limit is too low for a fill-up with two swipes, I usually switch to a different card for the third or forego the last little bit of fuel.

I won't do the gift card thing though--it makes the fuel considerably more expensive by giving up the 5% credit the card I use offers. (5% even at $2/gal is still $0.10, and at stations that give you "cash" price with a card, like FlyingJ, I get 5% off of the cash price)

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

This may not work everywhere but if you press pay inside I have been able to run the tanks full and then go inside and pay.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

The filling station ultimately sets the limit, not the credit card company--typically they authorize a $1 transaction, then submit the actual amount for settlement after you finish pumping.

While this may be true, a vendor would be unwise to set a limit above that which the credit card company sets as they would have to eat the difference. In reality, the limit is a function of the credit card company limit.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Lifetime GS membership gives you .08 off cash price at Pilot and the J. I find it way easier to just plan my fuel ahead and avoid the smaller station pumps two swipes or turning around to get other tank.

I end up most times within a few cents a gal.

JMO

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

While this may be true, a vendor would be unwise to set a limit above that which the credit card company sets as they would have to eat the difference. In reality, the limit is a function of the credit card company limit.

While the credit car company does have some protections for merchants, they are pretty minimal. The merchant has a lot of flexibility in how they pre-authorize a transaction where the final amount is unknown, but high pre-auth amounts cause a lot of unhappy customers--people with low credit limits don't want a $150 hold when they're buying $10 worth of gas, and pre-paid debit/credit cards (which a huge number of people without bank accounts use) will be declined if the pre-auth amount is bigger than the credit limit. No store owner wants a fuel hold to prevent a snack sale inside, and it's not smart to complete multiple transactions for one vehicle as there are fixed per-transaction charges from the merchant bank. That all gets weighed by the merchant to decide how much risk they want to take, and it's why you see other fraud prevention measures like requiring a ZIP code at the pump implemented by the stations. (Though I've never thought that would be too effective--if someone steals your wallet, your ZIP code is on your license, and most likely matches what's on file for the card.)

I tend to stick to big stations in the RV, where I've filled as much as $500 with one swipe (when diesel was over $4/gal). Even in that case, the pre-authorization hold was $1, and was replaced with the actual amount within an hour or so.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

It is well known in the circles of those who run things, whether at corporate level, mom and pop store, escapees chapter, or cub scouts group, that "management is not for everyone". Unfortunately, pig headed types sometimes stumble into the position and can cause lots of grief until those who placed them there get rid of them. We've ran into three campground managers like that over the years.

An absentee campground owner in Maine placed a woman in that position, people were leaving the campground ahead of their planned departures, because of her "enforcement" actions and the owner had to deal with many phone calls about her behavior including one from us.

A couple owned the campground in western Massachusetts where we were running an Escapee Chapter 3 Rally. The husband was an idiot running around looking for things and causing grief. The wife was following afterward calming things down and trying to smooth things over. I guess he was trying to prove that he wore the pants in the family, except that he wore them backwards restricting certain parts of his anatomy.

We stayed in one of the Escapees campground in the Titusville area. The Escapee organization has a roster of campground managers they utilize and place in the campgrounds they own or manage. This couple was a piece of work, the Escapees were notified to get rid of them and not use them again.

My local neighborhood organization had 400 paying members at one time. By the end of the last "Presidency" of the woman running it, they were down to 19. An absolute obnoxious, control freak, who turned all board members off and caused zero cooperation. In January she was gone, we started "the re-building process" and already almost trippled the membership.

Archived