What did you do to your bus today?

Liberty

I just about have the boiler installed for the hot water heat. I don't like having to mess with propane, so everything is

either diesel powered or electric.

I've pretty much gotten the water supply to the boiler done. The exhaust

is done. Most of the fuel supply to the boiler is done (I'm old, and not going to lay in the snow under a bus when it's only 15 degrees out. :rolleyes:

Boiler assy with cover off. Burns diesel fuel.

web_hydronic10-_boiler_4078.jpg

Detail of exhaust out of the boiler. It came with a flimsy looking bendable pipe that I didn't like. The blue tube is air intake. Square adapter

is to go around the intake.

web_exhaust_ditail_4077.jpg

Detail of exhaust out the roof.

web_boiler_exhaust4076.jpg

Boiler water supply. It's a closed pressurized system with expansion tank.

web_closed_position_4086.jpg

Water supply system open for water fill and maintenance.

web_service-_position_4084.jpg

All closed up.

web_closed_w_cover_4092.jpg

The gray box just forward of the boiler is a marine water heater. It is a heat exchanger so that the boiler will heat domestic hot water,

it is also 110v for when hooked to shore power. There is also a heat exchanger that will take heat from the engine and heat the boiler/water heater

loop. Pictures to come later.

My bus build http:/somewhereinusa.x10.mx

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest David & Lorna Schinske

Been adding Polyshield foam underlayment/insulation (with radiant barrier) to the interior side walls. I have those !@#$%^&* styrofoam beads all over. I can't get them vacuumed up. They HIDE! Then they come out in places where you least expect them. Right now I'm looking at two stryofoam beads that are electrostatically stuck to the metal above the windows. Turning on the TV attracts several little foam bits to the screen. This stuff is worse than Christmas tree icicles and Easter grass combined! Insulated under the floor (as in outside) with R-30. Started covering the walls with the laminate flooring (a golden oak) we bought at the Black Friday Sale to use as a wall covering (cheaper than buying paneling). The countertops were put on hold due to the cold weather. Needed insulation worse than a sink! In the meanwhile, I bought a half sheet of 3/4" oak plywood from the culls bin at work for $4.01. This is enough to make the countertop decking for the cabinets on each side of the range. So that's the countertops for the range side of the galley. Now I just have to buy a full sheet at $46 :blink: for the sink side of the galley. Gotta go attach more flooring to the walls!

Guest David & Lorna Schinske

Got most of the flooring installed on the walls. We think it looks pretty good. Nice thing is it has no grooves for dust to settle into like paneling does. This will be more durable than the painted plywood that I had originally planned on putting up. I don't think I would be happy with this stuff on the floor. The butt seams would drive me crazy since I can easily find them. But that is a common complaint I have with laminate flooring. And it looks like plastic fake wood. I don't care how "realistic" they say it looks. To me it looks like plastic.

Still need to do the trim around the windows and along the top where the wall covering meets the metal above the windows. We are going to use white PVC moldings. Getting closer to "done" (not that it ever will be).

th_PIC_4429.jpg

th_PIC_4436.jpg

th_PIC_4439.jpg

We are just back from Q. and a stop in Yuma to visit famiy and friends. We bought a twin cartridge water filter from the RV Filter Store and put it in. Sure is a space saver over the 2 big elements we have had. Just arrived back in Desert Trails in Tucson last night at sunset. Just pluged in and relaxed. today I finished setting up screens, window awnings, fresh water hose, sewer hose, mat, Weber grill, LIFE is GOOD in the desert.

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

OK & KS now SD well sometimes

The journey is the trip not the destination.

http://2010liberty.wordpress.com/

We are in New Braunfels, TX visiting some bus nut friends and helping do some remodeling in their house and also will help remove the crashed up nose from their MC7 and replace it with one from a doner bus. While we are here I thought I would tackle my rear axle seal leak. It's a long story but this is the fourth and last time I'm doing this. :blink::angry: First time by a tire shop, second by a truck shop, third with the help of another friend. We couldn't get the correct seal with wear ring, so went with a standard seal. It lasted longer than the first two tries.

I got a Stemco seal with wear ring and I am in the process of fixing it today. It's sunny and about 75, so it's a good time to get a tan also! B) Everything has gone real well so far. Will not be able to take it for a test run, but I'm pretty confident that it will work this time. At least I have a place to work on it and no pressure to get it done and hit the road.

This 45 year old bus is in better shape then me!:rolleyes:

Life is good!

Becky and Paul Lawry

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

VIN # 7443

8v71 Allison HT 740

2011 Buick Enclave

Full Timing

Our Travel Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul, Glad you guys are doing good in Texas.

Same here in Mexico

Jerry & Patty

We are in New Braunfels, TX visiting some bus nut friends and helping do some remodeling in their house and also will help remove the crashed up nose from their MC7 and replace it with one from a doner bus. While we are here I thought I would tackle my rear axle seal leak. It's a long story but this is the fourth and last time I'm doing this. :blink::angry: First time by a tire shop, second by a truck shop, third with the help of another friend. We couldn't get the correct seal with wear ring, so went with a standard seal. It lasted longer than the first two tries.

I got a Stemco seal with wear ring and I am in the process of fixing it today. It's sunny and about 75, so it's a good time to get a tan also! B) Everything has gone real well so far. Will not be able to take it for a test run, but I'm pretty confident that it will work this time. At least I have a place to work on it and no pressure to get it done and hit the road.

This 45 year old bus is in better shape then me!:rolleyes:

Life is good!

1975 Crown SuperCoach

Solar Electric

WVO Powered 6-71N

• 1 month later...

I have jusy returned to the great plains from AZ. just prior to leaving we had out Allison 740 rebuilt. then on the road I had an outside drive wheel break off and leave me. Since we were going to be sitting from Wed. eve. to the mon./tue. estimate. Anne left for Wichita, KS area to be with a friend whose mom had just passed. I will tell you, I did find the tire on the other side of the Interstate down in an arroyo/wash and retrieve it.

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

• 2 weeks later...

We took Liberty to the Ghosts of Highwy 61 vintage bus tour rally in Blytheville, AR. met up with approx. 60 new, old and future friends. Got to add some faces to names only known from various forums. Met some great bus folks and I think the oldest bus i saw was a 1947 repowered with a 350 Chevy. If memory servs it was a Spartan. 10 Silver Eagles. Got to ride a GM 4106 to Memphis to visit Elvis then rode a Flexible to lunch and rode a GM Scenicruser back up to Blytheville, did I say I really like the way our Eagle rides?

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it was not today but all of last week. In early April (after the Blytheville Rally) we were sitting on our acre near Wichita KS and the are had an ice storm. This broke down many limbs. one fell on the power line as it gets to the meter pole. Then a high wind came up and crossed the wires where they enter the rain cap. This shorted out our inverter. We woke up inthe night to no power. When I started the genset to keep us going we soon discovered we only had one leg of the 50A power. That was a Sat/Sun night so after church I got to checking things out and could tell the feed wire coming out of conduit onoy had the red hot and not the black one. Did not know if it was the Gen line or the inverter line or where it was losing the one leg. I called our insurance company. to file a claim. Since we are total electric I had to move some breaker switches around to have power where we needed it most. Then I had to put a batttery charger on the house batteries to keep them up to run the fantastic fan, the water pump and the entry lights. That is all the 12v we have. I soon found out the batteries would never get above about 11.6 V.. I thought well they must be part of the problem. After I took care of some Dr. visits we made an appointment with the shop our insurance adjuster likes for these issues. They had us come out a week ago today. The tech found out that the Freedom/Heart mod. sine invertor had some issue internally. e took it out of the system and that allowed all the power to be in the bus. I put all the breakers back to their proper slots and reinstalled the cover. We ordered a Magnum Puresine 2800 inverter and waited for it to arrive. Meanwhile they were trying to get the house and crank batteries to fully charge. When all was said and done it took one house battery, The cell nearest the pos. post was dead. So one new 4D battery there and the new inverter and all is well in Liberty. Sure glad The insurance covered this. While sitting there I got online and searched surge protectors. I bought one from PPl on sale for less tha $100. I maybe have closed the barn door after the horses left but the same thing will not hit us again. The Magnum was only a few dollars mor than the Freedom and it is pure sine with an inside meter. life is good

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

We put new front tires on and moved the old fronts to the tag axle.

Next will be the start batteries to be done prior to leaving for Mt. Rushmore, Gillette the COdy/YellowStone with theyounger grands.

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

• 2 weeks later...

This past week, we stripped out the old rear view camera (a Harbor Freight, under water unit) and installed our new, Total Vision camera system. We currently have 3 cameras installed, the rear view, tilt and pan unit and 2 side view cameras. Later I intend to install a nose cam and an interior cam on an A/B switch.

There is still a lot of finish up work to complete, permanent power, camera triggers and concealing the excess cable, but I sure do like the visibility provided by the new system.

Butch and Fonda Williams, 1987 MCI MC9

Butch & Fonda Williams, MCI MC9

• 2 weeks later...

We left New Braunfels last month and are now parked in Abilene, TX. Staying at Buckcreek RV Park in the same spot we had two years ago.

While in New Braunfels I added airbags over the rear axle to help out our tired torsalastics. I used one on each side, built the frames and plumbed everything from the auxillary tank. I initially started out with 40 psi, tried going lower and higher. The ride felt best at 40, so I left it there. I was amazed at the difference in the ride and handling, much better. The main reason I tackled this project was the lower ride height, it was 2" below what is acceptable. I now feel that the coach weight is better distributed. At our weight of 36,500 that is important.

I used a simple regulator for the intital setup to get a feel for it. I now have two height control valves that I will plumb into each side at a later date. That should control and level the bus side to side.

Rear axle torsalastics for a model 01 can't be found and are not being manufactured. Now we've joined the air bag crowd! :P

Becky and Paul Lawry

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

VIN # 7443

8v71 Allison HT 740

2011 Buick Enclave

Full Timing

Our Travel Blog

I used the http://washwax.com/ to clean the bus. OK I did not do the roof. but it is so easy to use and looks so good clean. Liberty had not been cleaqned since last Oct. just prior to the Branson Rally. Almost ready to pull out next Sunday.

LeRoy & Anne

Silver Eagle conversion

PT Cruiser Conv.

Been using Wash Wax All for years. It is the product used to wash and wax all the planes in the Air Force One Squadron. Only I buy it by the gallon and they buy it by the 55 gall drum.

Sure works great on my RV and cars.

Trainer

Hey Trainer....does this product leave a shine on a tired dull surface and how long will shine last? thank you, have not used this product....

Been using Wash Wax All for years. It is the product used to wash and wax all the planes in the Air Force One Squadron. Only I buy it by the gallon and they buy it by the 55 gall drum.

Sure works great on my RV and cars.

Trainer

Butch,

If your surface is dull from oxidation, it needs repairing, i.e. it needs buffing with a polish to restore the shine.

Now once shiny, Wash Wax All with no abrasives and no harm to clear coat no matter how often you use it, will keep it clean, shiny and UV protected from oxidation.

The shine lasts 4 to 6 weeks during which my vehicles get dirty again so I reapply to wash them. I am always washed, waxed and UV protected year round.

Friday, mounted the nose camera and got it all hooked up and aimed.

Today, replaced both of the shrouds on the rooftop heat pumps.

On a friends Bus, they came down from Michigan on their way on a 8 to 10 week trip out west, we welded up an exhaust system for their genset, repaired the on-board water system so they had good useable flow, made up a couple of 2/0 battery cables and charged 2 basement a/c units.

Butch and Fonda Williams

Butch & Fonda Williams, MCI MC9

Archived