Pentagon to Open Online Exchange Shopping to Vets in 2017

Retiredin1993

Just like civilian stores, it depends. I've bought several large items from the PX online when they ran a sale since I retired.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

There are some items that are killer prices in the Exchange system. One thing that comes to mind is some of the higher end perfumes (ask me how I know :rolleyes: ). Other things are pretty much comparable to local store prices, however, since you do not pay sales tax that can make a huge difference depending on the tax rate in your area.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

PX is useless. Only good now for those who live on base. MWR, different story. But that's not we are talking about.

The PX/BX's are part of MWR. They are considered to be Class C activities. Category C activities have the ability to generate income to cover most operating expenses.

PX is useless. Only good now for those who live on base. MWR, different story. But that's not we are talking about.

We each have our personal opinion, as it should be; however don't paint everything with the same brush. Particularly, large items are often offered for less money than that found in WalMart, Target, etc.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

It's nowhere near what it once was. I will disagree with you on large item purchases. I don't see them. I agree with the topic author. Just like any retail outlet today, they have to do something to compete. So opening up to veterans would be fine by me. Just don't expect much.

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I have found out that the PX/NEX is comparable to the outside world. Most of the time all you save is the sales tax. A few year back I was looking at a 40" Samsung TV, Best Buy had a better deal. BX/PX do match prices how ever. Service stations here in Key West is $.05 higher on the gallon of gas and about the same price on diesel. They was told they are required to stay comparable to the civilian community to make the local vendors happy.

Ron
US Army retired
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2016 Ford F150 XLT

Our BX here at Barksdale AFB, Louisiana, will price match local stores and online. Take away tax and in some cases shipping and they can be a bit better with price matching and no tax, to much better with sales. I've gotten some great clearance buys there. This is online only however. I just cruise the BX when waiting for my medical prescriptions, since the refill pharmacy is in the same building next to the food court.

I think opening it up online to all honorably discharged vets could make prices better for all of is active and retired. When they can buy in more volume, the prices get passed along to all.

Excerpt from the article link the OP gave in the first post:

"Opening the Exchange to the about 20 million honorably discharged U.S. veterans comes with a strong business case, Exchange officials have said.

The move could produce between $226 million to $1.13 billion in annual sales, according to the 2014 proposal. It could bring as much as $108 million annually in support for MWR programs, which rely on exchange dividends for the bulk of their funding across the services, it says.

However, opening commissary shopping to honorably discharged veterans isn't included in the proposal."

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

However, opening commissary shopping to honorably discharged veterans isn't included in the proposal.

IMO, this is likely a good thing. I have access to three commissaries and for the most part they are very busy with allowed patrons most of the time. I am not sure they could handle the increased number of patrons.

For the most part we find we can purchase groceries for less in our neighborhood grocers. Perhaps I am fortunate but there are 14 grocers within 3 miles of my home, everything from Walmart to Whole Foods to Trader Joe's to Costco. The only reason we ever visit the commissary is to take advantage of the foreign foods they stock to cater to the wide variety of nationalities that are represented in the families of our service members.

Everyone is different, as are every base, despite COLA and Rations adjustments. Here we do save at least 15% at the commissary. But my wife, the executive chef here in this family, does read the flyers from Kroger, Brookshires etc., and will make stops for good sales items enroute or during her ExFil of the city back to our enclave.

I agree with you and the article's author on that. The Barksdale commissary is jammed here most of the time. It is a madhouse. We also have lots of grocers including most mentioned.

YMMV

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV, on 18 Jan 2017 - 11:18 PM, said:

Our BX here at Barksdale AFB, Louisiana, will price match local stores and online. Take away tax and in some cases shipping and they can be a bit better with price matching and no tax, to much better with sales. I've gotten some great clearance buys there. This is online only however. I just cruise the BX when waiting for my medical prescriptions, since the refill pharmacy is in the same building next to the food court.

I think opening it up online to all honorably discharged vets could make prices better for all of is active and retired. When they can buy in more volume, the prices get passed along to all.

Excerpt from the article link the OP gave in the first post:

"Opening the Exchange to the about 20 million honorably discharged U.S. veterans comes with a strong business case, Exchange officials have said.

The move could produce between $226 million to $1.13 billion in annual sales, according to the 2014 proposal. It could bring as much as $108 million annually in support for MWR programs, which rely on exchange dividends for the bulk of their funding across the services, it says.

However, opening commissary shopping to honorably discharged veterans isn't included in the proposal."

I doubt it will lower the prices one cent.

Ron
US Army retired
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2016 Ford F150 XLT

Archived