Fuel Delivery Issue

Solracem

Hello,

I have a 34' 1989 Fleetwood Bounder on a Chevy P32 Chassis. The darn thing sat for 6 years, so, I've replaced several things. Recently I replaced the carburetor with a Uremco 3-3837 and it's now running. However, it dies going uphill and/or shifting into 3rd and 4th gear.

I was told the throttle position sensor (TPS) and idle air control motor (IAC) should be replaced and it should fix the issue. I was also told that if it does not fix the issue it's most likely because my engine control module (ECM) got use to running a certain way and it probably needs to be replaced as well. The manual says the ECM should be under the steering column support bracket but, it's not there <_<.

I cannot for the life of me figure out where any of those parts are located on my Chevy 454. I've read several threads and see that the TPS is usually on the throttle body (TBI) but, cannot find it. I'm also confused since it has a carburetor and is not fuel injected.

Does anybody know where I can find those components? Or any other suggestions on what could be the problem?

I'm beginning to think that since I do not have a TBI and instead it has a carburetor that I do not have an IAC, or an ECM and the TPS is located in the carb. Am i right?

Also, why does it die :angry::unsure: ? Anybody have any suggestions as to what I should check? It seems as though the fuel filters are getting plenty of gas. So, my thought is that it may be somewhere between the fuel filters and the new mechanical pump.

ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

So far I've replaced these components of the fuel system:
vacuum hoses
carburetor
fuel filters several times
mechanical fuel pump
spark plugs and wires
distributor cap and rotor

Questions Recap:

1. ) Do I have an Idle air control motor, If so, where is it?

2. ) Do I have an engine control module, If so, where is it?

3. ) What can I do to diagnose the fuel delivery issue? Could it be a sensor, a pump, or a filter that I don't know about?

Thanks so much for the help!!

God Bless You for owning a P32. Said with love. I had the same issue when I owned mine and like you, I started replacing things. My problem ended up being a vacuum problem with the fuel tank. After driving for 100 miles or so the first hill I came to the motor would die. After several occurrences and attempted fixes, I happened to look under the motorhome at the fuel tank and noticed that it was collapsing on itself. Scary. If I bought it in time, I could simply remove the gas cap and you could hear the air escape. At the moment I can not remember the exact fix but it had to do with the EGR system.

Good luck

Steve

2011 Allegro Bus 40QXP

2015 Ford Explorer Sport

Steve, thank you! I also have the extreme hissing going on with my fuel tank cap. If you remember what you did to fix the EGR system please let me know. I'm currently at a loss and trying to figure it out.

My next move was going to be to replace the fuel lines and connections to make sure it's not leaking air anywhere. My understanding is it should work like a finger over a straw with liquid in it. Therefore, my thought is if there are leaks then it could all flow back into the tank on a hill?? No clue though. I'm hoping this community will be able to help me find the solution

Normally this forum is fantastic about solving just about any type of problem you might have with an RV you might want to check and see if there is a Fleetwood Bounder owners forum...I have a Discovery and there is a large owners forum group that answers just about any question that you can possibly think of. I'm betting that others have had similar experiences and will be able to put you on the right track. Hope you get your questions answered and back on the road quickly!

Found the forum: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/ Hope that helps!

Most ECM's will reset to factory defaults when disconnected from all power sources for a few hours. When reconnected, it goes through a learning process to save your driving style. I don't have a clue if you have one though.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I have a 1990 on a P30 chassis ,so they are similar.

Based on the info you have from this forum and the iRV2 forum and years of trial and error the first thing I would do is check the age of the coaches your reading about.

Quote ("I'm beginning to think that since I do not have a TBI and instead it has a carburetor that I do not have an IAC, or an ECM and the TPS is located in the carb. Am i right? ") yes you are correct.

If you don't find the fuel filter on the right side ,try the left side.After 6 years of sitting the fuel and deposits in that filter are like gell covered stone.

I don't have mine handy to look ,but it is possible the only filter you have is on the engine itself.That's where they put them in the 70's and I am not familiar with big trucks.Either way it needs to be changed.

OOPS

Just reread your original post and see you already have changed your filter .

Check your fuel lines ,especially the rubber ones ,they may be collapsing.Also leave your gas cap unlocked (not off) and see if it runs any better.

The cap may be bad and either creating pressure or causing vacuum

Guess I need to check my reading before I start babbling again.

It crosses my mind to wonder if your problem might be the same as one that I experienced on a 1987 P-30 chassis some years ago. Our chassis had an electric fuel pump at the tank, mounted next to it that supplied a positive pressure fuel supply to the suction side of the on-engine mechanical fuel pump. When the electric pump failed it would sometimes experience vapor lock conditions. It might also be that a good electric supply pump and a failing mechanical pump combination could cause a fuel starved condition. I'm not sure if you have the extra fuel pump as it was added by the coach builders when present, but it might be worth checking out.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived