South Dakota address now available to members.....

Kirk W

It is the only option Escapees offers, there are other mail forwarding services.

The two addresses should be a minor issue as very few things need to be mailed to your Florida or South Dakota address.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

The two addresses should be a minor issue as very few things need to be mailed to your Florida or South Dakota address.

The SD or FL address may well be needed for banks, investments, credit card accounts, etc. They may not generate a lot of mail pieces, but if that is your domicile that is the address you are going to have to use for that sort of stuff. With all the problems some full-timers are having with banks, I would hate to try to explain to a bank that I was an SD resident but used a TX address for my correspondence. I don't need that kind of aggravation! :D

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

That seems wrong to me as we had a domicile address for many years that was different from our mailing address. Nobody aside from the voter registration people had any issue with that.

In SD vehicle and voter registration is also a local county function. Our mail service is down the block from the Lake County Treasurer's Office where all of this sort of thing is handled. It makes it easy to have someone hand them your registration paperwork and pick up your tags. No reason that's any different from using a "tag and title service" as is available in many states.

Hi Joel

If the service is just down the block as you say then I do not understand the desire/requirement for a third party to hand carry your paperwork down there to make sure all is taken care of..

That is unless they are not "RV FRIENDLY" or helpful like the Polk County folks are in Livingston TX. (SKP Mail Service).

No Tag and Title Service involved or contemplated.

Dave O

If the service is just down the block as you say then I do not understand the desire/requirement for a third party to hand carry your paperwork down there to make sure all is taken care of..

Since Escapees have only just introduced the SD address service, that would seem to not have been part of the decision to choose SD..... But if it was that seems just a little bit unusual as a reason to pick a state of domicile? I don't believe that anyone has suggested that those who are already domiciled in SD should change services, unless there is some reason that they wish to do so. Since I've not registered a vehicle in SD I can't comment on that but it has never crossed my mind to involve any additional party in our vehicle registration. I have never set foot in the Livingston registration office nor the one here in east TX were our registrations are now. I just renew online and my registration comes by mail. I think that I have been told you can do that in most other states as well.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There were some aggravations with the political types in Sioux Falls about 10 years ago that made it difficult to do vehicle licencing by mail, no idea if that is still a problem or solved today. We used our mail service to take care of it if we weren't in the area and just added the cost to what it cost us to live in SD.

Hi Joel

That is unless they are not "RV FRIENDLY" or helpful like the Polk County folks are in Livingston TX. (SKP Mail Service).

No Tag and Title Service involved or contemplated.

Dave O

Dave:

I'm not at all sure what your point is. In our case the Lake County office is down the block from our mail service's office. This has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the County office is RV-friendly; it's purely a matter of comfort of having someone walking a form through the process rather than having it show up in the mail. If that doesn't bother you, then that's fine. As far as I'm concerned, I prefer the personal touch of having someone hand-carry my stuff through any bureaucracy. I think my service charged me $20 to get my new car registered last year; I felt that was money well spent--the plates were in the mail to me in a day.

If Escapees believes these are unnecessary services that is fine. I'm sure many Escapees will choose to use the new service. I was simply raising issues that affect my choice of a mail forwarding service.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Like Joel, Terry in Madison has been a god send. When we purchased our new to us MH and car last year she new exactly what needed to be done for registration etc. Because we were in Tuscon there was an extra local tax that needed to be paid but she advised us on how to handle it for the SD registration. Also when Arizona was slow in sending another form for the MH title she's the one who caught it and called us.otherwise it could have been a couple weeks of mailing stuff and our temp tags from AZ would have expired. She just emailed us all the paperwork for our signature, had us fax it back with the exact sales documents and she filled in all the numbers etc. Did we NEED her to do it?? Of course not, but boy she made it easy and all the stuff was in the courthouse in a day. Oh and Lake County courthouse people are super friendly and helpful. Its truly a personal choice and we enjoy her personal touch

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if I could get some advice on using SD as a domicile address and how to accomplish that. I still have a few years to work and my projects take me to different states so we decided to sell the house and go full-time in the 5th wheel. We are in the process of selling our house which should be closing mid-March and I would like to make this my LAST change of address. My research on the income tax rates (individual and corporate) makes South Dakota look like a good state for a domicile address. Will we need to make a trip out to SD in order to get everything set up and get new drivers licenses, etc.? Any advice or information on setting up a domicile address, getting everything switched over from our current Indiana domicile, and mail forwarding services would be greatly appreciated.

Working Towards the Dream :D

Sheryl

post-38218-0-03700400-1423369567_thumb.jpg

As long as your medical will work in SD it can be a decent option, call the Escapees Club office and ask for a membership package and the SD setup instructions and they can get you set up.

Personally I'd do Texas unless you have a specific reason to avoid them. We used SD due to a legal issue that ruled Texas out and I believe it ended up costing slightly more than Texas over the years we did it. About the biggest difference is the sales tax if you buy a new rig, there SD is cheaper.

Club news from post # 1 here. http://us9.campaign-archive2.com/?u=d8bc0f46a19a696e5c335f4d2&id=d58d6d17e7&e=c2f9c2fb14

I was wondering if I could get some advice on using SD as a domicile address and how to accomplish that. I still have a few years to work and my projects take me to different states so we decided to sell the house and go full-time in the 5th wheel.

Welcome to the forums!

One of the first things to check is to be sure that if you have employer provided health insurance the change of address to whatever state is chosen will not impact that. If you must buy your own health insurance the choices are far better if domiciled in TX or FL. Of course, in order to use any of the Escapee services you must first join the RV club. I think that you will find a great deal of support for RV living once you do that so it will be money well spent.

Whatever state you select as your domicile, you must travel there in order to obtain your driving license. Since 9/11 the federal government has set standards for all states which require that in person verification because of the fact that we use our driver's licenses as a photo ID throughout this country. I think that you might find it helpful to read this article from Escapee's Magazine that I wrote a year or so ago about domicile.

Stanley and Kirk,

Thank you for the information. After some additional research today I think we may have decided that Texas is a better option for us, but I will be checking on all of the insurance, medical and possible legal implications of changing our domicile address. We are already members of Escapees, just not very active yet because i am still working and we don't get to travel a lot. Hopefully that will change after the house is sold.

Happy Travels.

Sheryl

We talked our neighbors to join Escapees. However, after they discovered that mail sent to SD would be forwarded to Livingston, they opted out.

There have always been members of Escapees RV Club who choose not to use the mail service! :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Since Escapees have only just introduced the SD address service, that would seem to not have been part of the decision to choose SD..... But if it was that seems just a little bit unusual as a reason to pick a state of domicile? I don't believe that anyone has suggested that those who are already domiciled in SD should change services, unless there is some reason that they wish to do so. Since I've not registered a vehicle in SD I can't comment on that but it has never crossed my mind to involve any additional party in our vehicle registration. I have never set foot in the Livingston registration office nor the one here in east TX were our registrations are now. I just renew online and my registration comes by mail. I think that I have been told you can do that in most other states as well.

Kirk ,I am traveling up to pick up my mustang in Rapid City .where is the Box Elder location at?I ve looked on the web but to no avail?

Help please.I do better filling out paperwork with direct assistance then on the email ..and then the stress is relieved and I know everything is completed correctly .Thank you in advance

Kirk ,I am traveling up to pick up my mustang in Rapid City .where is the Box Elder location at?I ve looked on the web but to no avail?

Help please.I do better filling out paperwork with direct assistance then on the email ..and then the stress is relieved and I know everything is completed correctly .Thank you in advance

You need to get reinstated into Escapees Mail Service. We’ll be glad to personally assist you. As I posted on the other thread, please call Sherri at 888-757-2582 and she will walk you carefully through the process. :-)

Hugs,

Cathie

We wanted to let you know that we have added more information and resources to the domicile section of our current website, non-members can go to www.escapees.com and select the domicile button. As I mentioned in an earlier post, this material will be presented in a much nicer format once we get the NEW website launched, but because that will be several weeks away, we didn’t want you to have to wait.

Archived