Strange reaction from RVer

Dezel,

I think you misunderstood my OP. One of the things that comes up again and again on RV forums is people asking for recommendations for RV parks in snowbird states but they want parks that don't have park models in them because of the "park model attitude." I was trying, obviously unsuccessfully, to point out that maybe it wasn't always the park model owners that have 'attitudes'.

Barb

You are right. I did misunderstand. My apologies. I just re-read it and it still took a bit to figure who had the rv and who had the park model. I think I may have some form of dyslexia. I constantly have trouble transposing things in written text. And dont me started on my phone number issues............... :(

I'm a work'n on it.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A "park model" trailer is one that's intended for a more permanent placement than a typical travel trailer. As such, they usually have more residential style appliances, and typically no holding tanks, as the plumbing is piped directly in and out. 50 amp shore power is common, but 100 amp shorepower is seeing wider use. There are certain size limits and other regulations that park models need to follow in order to retain their "RV" status. Otherwise they would need to meet the stricter manufactured housing requirements.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

As Dutch said, they are still classified as an RV because they have wheels underneath the frame and are right at 399 sq ft. They are typically wider, usually some where around 10 1/2 ft wide or so and about 36 ft or so long.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Hi Barb

I agree with all you said, I think the plumbing also is involved with an RV model, i.e. holding tanks etc. Also the tow bar which is just an extension of the frame is still in place.

Our park here at Saguaro Co-op requires all RV's on any site must have a current license. I used the term RV because that is what they all are. Capable of being towed out or to another site which happens quite often.

Dave O

We are very pleased that we do not travel in the same circles as many here. We have never felt discriminated against because of the type of Rv we have. The Rv'ers we have met over the years seem to get along with everyone. Here in this HOA community we have Travel trailers, Motor Homes,5th wheels, park models and single wide's. We have permanents and snowbirds. One of our communities is all Motor Homes and we have never been asked what we own when we are there. We are between a park model and a single wide across the street is a park model and next to him a 5th wheel. There is a large high dollar MH on the corner. We all get along just fine.

I agree with richaa. Some people have a problem connecting with others. May be they need to read the book on "Breaking the Ice."

Living the full time RV dream in a Holiday Rambler Motor home.

Our Travel Blog is http://rvroadriders.com

Society has gotten more course and ruder. I look at all the tattoos and body piercing and shake my head. I often question if civilization is digressing back to the time of the Neanderthals? Add to the fact of dumbing down of modern society. We are losing respect for our neighbors and fellow man.

I disagree wholeheartedly.

Today's youth are far more considerate of others than previous generations were. Tolerance of all religions. Acceptance of different cultures. Integration of the mentally disabled. Prolific anti-bullying campaigns. The fight for equality for LGBTQ. Sensitivity to racial issues.

All of those things were missing in years previous. Our country certainly hasn't had a great track record in general consideration of people who are "different". It has been in recent times that strides have been made in those things. There's still a long way to go, and I believe in the future generations to carry it through.

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

Today's youth are far more considerate of others than previous generations were. Tolerance of all religions. Acceptance of different cultures. Integration of the mentally disabled. Prolific anti-bullying campaigns. The fight for equality for LGBTQ. Sensitivity to racial issues.

All of those things were missing in years previous. Our country certainly hasn't had a great track record in general consideration of people who are "different". It has been in recent times that strides have been made in those things. There's still a long way to go, and I believe in the future generations to carry it through.

Hear! Hear! Excellent reply...

I have NEVER had a bad incident with a young person or group of kids. If one reads all the stories about how bad the younger generation is you would expect to be accosted every time you step out the door.

One incident really brought it home: I was at a store and a group of three high school age boys were approaching. For some reason I was a bit concerned. We were going to have to maneuver around each other. When they got to me one said something to the effect if "excuse us, sir" then they all acknowledged me with respect and "have a good day". The words aren't important, but the message sure was.

My father was a raging bigot. I could not believe some of the hate he espoused. I have noticed this in some of the older folks. I also watch how the newest generation handles these issues. Kinsa is spot on. Acceptance of things that just a few years ago were not only taboo but illegal. When older generations pass on they often take a lot of their prejudices with them.

Yes, we still have problems. Take some time to look around. Turn off the TV and radio. Actually get out and look around. Things are pretty good.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

If you ever want to prove to yourself that the country is NOT going to hell in a hand basket then get yourself somewhere, anywhere that the young men and woman of our armed forces gather . Then interact with them you will walk away with a better feeling about the direction the world is going in.

I have never been treated with anything other than respect by any of these fine men and woman.

Hear! Hear! Excellent reply...

I have NEVER had a bad incident with a young person or group of kids. If one reads all the stories about how bad the younger generation is you would expect to be accosted every time you step out the door.

One incident really brought it home: I was at a store and a group of three high school age boys were approaching. For some reason I was a bit concerned. We were going to have to maneuver around each other. When they got to me one said something to the effect if "excuse us, sir" then they all acknowledged me with respect and "have a good day". The words aren't important, but the message sure was.

My father was a raging bigot. I could not believe some of the hate he espoused. I have noticed this in some of the older folks. I also watch how the newest generation handles these issues. Kinsa is spot on. Acceptance of things that just a few years ago were not only taboo but illegal. When older generations pass on they often take a lot of their prejudices with them.

Yes, we still have problems. Take some time to look around. Turn off the TV and radio. Actually get out and look around. Things are pretty good.

041.gif

041.gif

041.gif

• 1 month later...

Society has gotten more course and ruder. I look at all the tattoos and body piercing and shake my head. I often question if civilization is digressing back to the time of the Neanderthals? Add to the fact of dumbing down of modern society. We are losing respect for our neighbors and fellow man.

Being somewhat new to the fulltime lifestyle, I have been fortunate to not have seen some of the "class" prejudices described in this thread. I recently retired from a 40 year career as a tattoo artist and piercer. THAT lifestyle brought out a LOT of prejudices, but let me clarify one simple fact. If everyone was exactly the same. this world would be an incredibly boring place to live. I am heavily tattooed, my ears, the bridge of my nose and my nipples are pierced, but none of that defines who I am as a person. I have 2 college degrees (art and photography), served in the Army during the Vietnam war and I was raised to be respectful of others. I am also 60 years old, so I am not a kid by any stretch of the imagination, though my wife does say I am at times.

My point here Rv-Voyager, is to not make a blanket judgement based on the colors in a person's skin. Rather, base your opinion on the character of the person on an individual basis. Not meaning to be controversial, but I do hope that someday our paths will cross so that I can have the opportunity to show you that not all people who sport ink in their skin are disrespectful or lack any of the social graces that others profess.

My best to all who choose to follow their own path in life.

Photographer on the go! Visit my website @ www.jmhillphoto.com or visit my blog

@ http://jmhillphoto.blogspot.com/ to see what we've been up to lately!

Reed and Elaine. I dont agree that a Park Model is an upscale mobile home. Its rather on a par or slightly inferior IMHO. For one thing they are much smaller. If I were going to settle down in one place I would not be shopping for a park model but rather a full size mobile home.and that might be happening soon. Probably in. Las .vegas.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

We were having breakfast in a KOA meeting room earlier this year, when I heard one woman loudly tell another, "You can tell they're not fulltimers because their motorhome is too short. Fulltimers all have at least 40 footers." Several folks in the room seemed to have a choking issue about then. :D

so did this lady have a big ole class A and live in rv parks :lol: . some of us prefer smaller motor homes because we can go anywhere. theres some spots that I would not try and back a 40 footer out of :lol:

Dezel,

I think you misunderstood my OP. One of the things that comes up again and again on RV forums is people asking for recommendations for RV parks in snowbird states but they want parks that don't have park models in them because of the "park model attitude." I was trying, obviously unsuccessfully, to point out that maybe it wasn't always the park model owners that have 'attitudes'.

Barb

Well, as they say, "It takes all kinds. . . ." Since we sold our 40 ft Foretravel and downsized to a 17 ft Casita, we have found a whole lot of very nice Casita owners. However, there exists a contingent of owners of these diminuitive trailers who view anything like a motorhome or 5th wheel as "sunblockers"; and often criticize their owners for not always sitting outside by a campfire instead of living inside their (as in the case of fulltimers) home. People will develop resentments, founded and unfounded, and "wear them on their sleeve" usually as a defense mechanism. Their loss! And, the lady with the dog's loss since I happen to know Barb & Dave are fantastic breakfast partners, and a soft touch for a glass of very good wine. Just sayin'. . . . . .

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

so did this lady have a big ole class A and live in rv parks :lol: . some of us prefer smaller motor homes because we can go anywhere. theres some spots that I would not try and back a 40 footer out of :lol:

I was curious what RV she had too, but I didn't get a chance to see which one she went to before we left. :unsure:

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I find that my attitude of not taking other peoples "attitudes" seriously works well. At least for me. I just tend to ignore people that are making judgements about others choices. Sometimes it is amusing to listen to them, though.

Now if I could just get Kirk away from thinking a Motorhome is the best RV, I feel I would have accomplished something. ;)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Now if I could just get Kirk away from thinking a Motorhome is the best RV, I feel I would have accomplished something. ;)

What do you mean, "thinking?" I know that it is best! And gasoline powered too! :rolleyes: Don't need no stinkin diesel!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

What do you mean, "thinking?" I know that it is best! And gasoline powered too! :rolleyes: Don't need no stinkin diesel!

Kirk, please forgive Jack; he thinks everybody should be a diesel truck driver. No strange reaction from this Rver and would be happy to be in the same campground with either or both of you! Talk about "trouble in the park."

Living the full time RV dream in a Holiday Rambler Motor home.

Our Travel Blog is http://rvroadriders.com

Kirk, please forgive Jack; he thinks everybody should be a diesel truck driver.

Jack & I would both be lost if we didn't hassle back and forth on occasion! I know that many people doubt it but we actually agree on the RV choice issue. Most want a "one size fits all" answer and we just don't buy that. :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I was curious what RV she had too, but I didn't get a chance to see which one she went to before we left. :unsure:

with her attitude id'e think she would be in a big ole class A :rolleyes::lol: . who would call that rv'ing :lol::D . sorry I just like to boondock and be alone with nature and class B's are awesome just for that. though I do have to agree with jack on how amusing how some peoples attitudes can be :lol: . though I just ignore em :ph34r:. just because we have a class B or what ever class doesn't mean that were not real rver's just different lifestyles for different people!!

Archived