Yet another inconsiderate neighbor .......

One thing about late nite noise makers is that they usually sleep in. Just saying . . . I'm an early riser and it sure is fun to be an early morning noise maker just to give them a dose of their own behavior. Usually the same noises they made, ie. doors, music, engines, car alarms etc. The next night they are usually less noisy. I guess they need their sleep too, who would of thought? Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've cooled off a bit about these neighbors since I made the original post. A motorhome has since taken up residency between us (still not understanding why we are packed in like we are) so we are somewhat shielded from any further inconsiderate behavior.

We are in a commercial park and I doubt there was anyone at the office when they arrived. I assume a look at the board / park map and pick an open site kinda deal at 11:30 at night. Maybe I'm the odd one, if a park is mostly empty I enjoy the chance to be off to myself a bit.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with many of you; It's just a general reflection on society. My wife claims they aren't trying to be rude or inconsiderate, just that they haven't been raised to give any consideration to the next person. They are completely ignorant of the effects that their actions have on others they are so focused on themselves. That's in direct opposition to my opinion; Some people are jerks and enjoy it.

Regardless, nice to know I'm not the only one in this situation from time to time.

PS - I felt kinda bad for the guy when he got here late figuring he had a bad day or got caught in traffic or something. But after the first half hour of banging around I wasn't feeling sympathy any longer.

This time of year parks often shut off sections (power & water) and keep their guests in just one area - easier for the staff to monitor, clean, etc. I notice that you didn't mention speaking to the park manager. If it bothered you enough to post here, why wasn't it worth a walk up to the office to engage in a little conversation?

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I went to McDonalds this morning in the old farm dogde with the 12v cummins rattle amplifier. As I usually do, I shut the engine off to place the order for a hot mocha. When I got to the pay window, the gal there actually thanked me for turning off the engine to place the order. She said no one does and that she has to mostly guess at the order, then they wonder why the order was wrong. Seems most everyone is in their own little fantasy world now days.

After mom's funeral a few months ago, I made a point to stop in at the men's warehouse that I bought the clothes at to thank the young lady that helped me choose the clothes. She actually broke down in tears right there saying that no one has ever said thank you for the effort she puts in. I did'nt know how to feel as it felt good to stop and say thank you, but I felt bad that I was the only one and that it made her cry. Sad the way humanity is heading.

I'm a work'n on it.

An after thought, how about the opposite? I've come across some very quiet neighbors that go out of their way to be like that. It sounds like to OP is one of them. Hats off to all of you who ARE considerate of others. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

We are at Voyager RV Resort outside of Tucson. It's early and park personnel put you at your site. In this case, we are the noisy ones as DH is finishing a dinette project. He only has to use his tools for short spurts and he tries to be considerate about the timing. There is a wood shop here, which is why he chose the park. It is well appointed, but more of a hobby shop than what he needs. So, he's stuck on the patio.

Stiil, it's early, The park is 2/3's empty. They have literally hundreds of sites to choose from. Yet they seem to be clustering rv's together, including right next door to us. I have no idea why.

The neighbors are being nice about it, but he'd really rather have been able to use the shop.

An after thought, how about the opposite? I've come across some very quiet neighbors that go out of their way to be like that. It sounds like to OP is one of them. Hats off to all of you who ARE considerate of others. Dave.

You've got a great cup half-full attitude. I need to focus more on the times I've had good neighbors rather than the bad ones. Thanks for giving me some good insight and a different perspective.

. Oh, if you pick-up dog turds with BBQ tongs,you might be a redneck. In this case, they were Okie rednecks! They moved on after a few days. A happy ending to bad inconsiderate neighbors.

Hey, hey now I resemble that remark!!! Proud redneck here (especially after being in South Tx for football workouts this year!! neck is still red from that) in fact I was just thinking what a great idea that was!!! I think I will be sure and designate the "turd grabbers" from the steak grabbers with tape (colored duct tape of course) gotta be sure I tell my DW what those extra tongs are for!!!!

Hey, hey now I resemble that remark!!! Proud redneck here (especially after being in South Tx for football workouts this year!! neck is still red from that) in fact I was just thinking what a great idea that was!!! I think I will be sure and designate the "turd grabbers" from the steak grabbers with tape (colored duct tape of course) gotta be sure I tell my DW what those extra tongs are for!!!!

Hopefully DW isn't colour blind (LOL).

Lots of the stories here sound familiar. People are kind of odd sometimes. I think security is part of it for parking close. But I do think that some people just want to annoy others. Like trolls online who start arguments for fun. I am always trying to be as quiet as a mouse, probably to my fault, but wish others would do the same. I won't even go into disliking some of the stuff that is sold for rigs that should be kept at home or just for tailgating or busy loud parks where everything is going on anyway, definitely not for peaceful forest camping.

We're in a relatively small park, and it isn't even 1/4 full. We did make a reservation since we were going to be here over Thanksgiving, so we knew which spot we were getting. Rigs are well spaced out. I'm guessing that the management assigns spots so that no one is really close to someone else, although for a night or two we did have a 5'er in the next spot.

So far we've barely heard a sound from anyone else here. Of course, we've either had temperatures in the 50's with 30 mph winds, rain, or temperatures in the 30's with 20 mph winds, so maybe that has kept people inside and quiet.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Well I have arrived late do to circumstances and do my best to be quiet as possible and limit sit up tell next day. I guess I have no problem if someone wants to park next to me and certainly they have every right to there as anywhere else. Please do not hold the dog responsible for the owners irresponsibility. one of the reasons I RV is I like to be around other people with similar interests namely RV live style. When I want to be alone I boondock but with this toy hauler and HDT I don't do that as much anymore actually seldom except at some NASCAR races but then that boondocking is is not being alone but tightly packed with 50,000 or so of like mined people. Have I been annoyed by some people sure have but I pretty much can ignore them and if not I move on someplace else. For me live is just to short to get aggravated over things when I was younger would get me upset. I guess I have mellowed some with age. B)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Everywhere you go you will encounter jerks. In fact, every now and then you - just like all of us - will have a turn. But habitual jerks, the sort of people who like to annoy people just for fun, are probably not the sort of folks you want to go have a chat with about their behavior. Lots of them take it badly. A surprisingly large minority of the population is psychopathic.

The last thing you need is some a-hole trying to "get even" with you for some imagined slight. Take it up with the management, hope he's a weekender, and don't pay for a month (or a season's) rent until you have some idea of the social climate.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

I'm reminded of some former "corporate training". Remember the old adage, "treat others as you, yourself would like to be treated"? In this particular training class, I was informed that the manner in which I would like to be treated isn't necessarily the way my neighbor would like to be treated. It was necessary for me to respect their values and those values didn't have to align with mine. I apologize for bringing religion into the conversation but I was raised in a Judeo-Christian home. Up until that training class, I had always thought I knew the meaning of respect. In other words, you know it when you see it. How times have changed.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I one time I thought I was a dumb-ass R or N.. That ended when I realize I had successfully finished the third grade.

Living the full time RV dream in a Holiday Rambler Motor home.

Our Travel Blog is http://rvroadriders.com

Every so often someone writes about this situation. I always state what I think of as the obvious solution......earplugs folks, earplugs. When living in a tin, or fiberglass, box, without good noise insulation, you are responsible for helping yourself not hear your late-arriving neighbors. I also don't believe in being a passive-agressive wack job. Speak to the person, nicely, and don't go about getting your revenge. It is bad karma and childish.

I also note that no Escapee ever admits to being a bad neighbor. I will. Roger has reminded me for years that I slam car doors, house doors, R.V. doors and compartments. For years he has nagged me on this. Guest what? My behavior continues, even when I am conscience of it. I think I am closing everything normally, but according to Roger, I slam. I don't mean to.

As for the dog poop, hate the person, not the dog. This is very prevalent behavior. We park in a KOA in Granger, IN., for a month in the Spring. Our daughter and her family live two miles away. We ask to stay near the dog park. Roger always picks up after the dogs. One day we noticed that poops starting arriving around the park. On the third day, I went to the owner to tell him it wasn't us. He said he knew, because until a certain rig pulled in that had two big dogs, the park was clean. They got a warning. It stopped the problem.

Roger & Karen

Roger USN Captain (retired) submarine service

Karen Captain (retired) pilot

2014 Winnebago Tour 42GD

Toad Chevy Avalanche

Travel six months

At home in coastal Maine six months

I also note that no Escapee ever admits to being a bad neighbor. I will.

You are unusual in that as most of us, Escapee or not, like to think that we are the ideal neighbor! Problem is, we don't all agree on what the ideal neighbor is! I try to be what I think a good RV neighbor is, but sometimes that works and sometimes not. I find it very difficult to watch someone struggle to do a thing that I know well, but help is not always wanted or appreciated............ :huh:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I want to share this story. Last Spring, Holly, one of our dogs became ill in Moab. She stopped eating, all at once. We decided to fast track it to Indiana where our daughter lives. Fast-tracking doesn't mean going over 60 mph, it means we take turns driving more miles than we normally do. I asked my daughter to get references for a Vet, and I made arrangements to get her in. I called the KOA, and made reservations to begin two weeks early, and we told them about our sick doggie. When we realized that we wouldn't make it there by closing time, I called back and said that we would spend the night in a the Walmart in town. They insisted we come, and I explained that we couldn't get there before 10pm. She said they would wait for us, and she made an appointment at a 24-hour emergency Vet. We pulled in, and we couldn't believe how kind everyone was. The car was unhooked from the rig before I got the car keys. They told me to go, and Roger had tons of help. I arrived back at 1 am with the news that Holly had autoimmune anemia. She was very, very sick.

I am sure we woke some people the row across from us, but our neighbors were great. They came out to help.

So, now, when some one arrives late, I ask if they need help, because we got plenty. But I still slam doors.

Roger & Karen

Roger USN Captain (retired) submarine service

Karen Captain (retired) pilot

2014 Winnebago Tour 42GD

Toad Chevy Avalanche

Travel six months

At home in coastal Maine six months

I slam my van's sliding door because it doesn't close if I don't. But I don't arrive late and I may not go outside for days so I think I'm not much of a nuisance. Unless you happen to have been taking a nap when I went out. Then I'm sorry I woke you because I know how wonderful naps can be.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I just accept the fact that if you travel there is noise. Heck even if I stay at home there is noise. Noise is a given. If I happen along a nice boondocking site that is dead silent I give thanks but generally even out there you will hear coyotes yipping, planes flying overhead , a distant train....there is always noise....better to accept it than lose sleep over it.

A couple of weeks ago we were boondocking with friends out in the desert and I had a good nights sleep in the quiet . My friend in the morning asked if I had heard the coyotes fighting over something under his fiver.....I hadnt heard a thing....he was upset....LOL.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I well over 30 years of camping we have been fortunate to have not been exposed to these kind of neighbors. There have been a few times when I would rather have not had the neighbors we had and thinking back when we had 4 kids and a couple of dogs etc that we may have been the neighbors that folks would father not be around.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

A walk to the park office was and is always is in order. Most parks want you to come to them instead on confronting another RV'er. It is their job to handle "issues". If they don't know about it they can't fix it. .

You do NOT have to move and you do NOT have to put up with bad behavior, loud noises. Since it wasn't on your site, Dog Poo is up to you to decide it you wish to bring it up. I feel that the manager could have gone to these people about the late night noise and flashing lights. I'm sure I wouldn't have loved it, but sometimes an RV has reasons for coming in late and I could live with that but they SHOULD be courteous-which obviously they weren't

We were at a park 3 weeks ago in Myrtle beach, SC and our "neighbor" who was very nice and chatted once in awhile, was a very early riser. Our bedroom window was facing his RV door. We were awakened at 6:30 AM every morning with the slamming of his door and again at 7 when we came back home {from his walk maybe?}. Dutch couldn't go back to sleep & being restless unfortunately meant I wasn't going to be sleeping either.

On the 3rd morning, he wanted to say something to him and I asked him not to. I walked to the office and asked for the manager. I explained our predicament and she said "Not to worry". We will visit with them and mention that we have had several noise complaints. Her feeling was that this would not lead directly back to us. I really didn't care if they knew us or not but let her do as she wanted. That was the last of the 6:30 am door banging or any banging at all.

The manager called me aside when we were checking out, turning in our gate card pass and said the mans wife had been telling him for a long time that he was slamming the door but he didn't believe her. If our case, a problem was solved by going to management. Maybe you can visit with management if it happens in the future so your days there won't be spoiled. Hugs, Di

Been full-timing for a year. Lots of great experiences but some things I wasn't really expecting that diminishes the lifestyle.

Right now we are in a nearly empty RV park. 150 spaces and maybe 20 occupants. Night before last someone pulls in 2 spaces away. I don't know why so close, there is nothing exceptional about the space or area we are in. And he gets here at 11:30 pm. And proceeds to spend the next hour banging around with a flashlight setting up and unloading his vehicle contents into the RV. Must have slammed vehicle and RV doors a couple dozen times. My wife wouldn't let me ask him if my sleep was interrupting his noise making.

Yesterday at dinner he brings his dog out to the area behind his RV - which is the "front yard" of the space between us. Dog does his business (that was nice to watch while eating dinner) and walks away. No clean up and the dog crap is still laying there. I admit it, people like this are causing me to quickly turn into a dog-hater.

Now he has every exterior light turned on (many he has added in addition to the standard lights) and is blasting Beach Boys music. It's so loud I can hear it inside over my television. The multi-colored lights under his RV flash in sync with the music. I wouldn't mind the lights but does the music have to be so loud?

I'm paid up for two more nights here at the campground so I'm not feeling like leaving is a legitimate option. And I guess it doesn't bother me enough to move sites. Just trying to understand the inconsiderate nature of some people. I really enjoy traveling and God has blessed me to be able to do this but, truth to tell, this full-timing lifestyle is often more like living in subsidized housing than the relaxing in the wilderness by a lake and enjoying the peacefulness of nature experience that I expected.

Rant over. Thanks for letting me vent.

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

A couple of nights ago we heard some noise outside. It sounded like voices, and maybe a vehicle or two. Since we are about 15 miles from Ferguson, MO we were a bit concerned. I looked out of the windows, working my way from the bedroom to the front of the coach. When I looked out the windshield I saw that someone had pulled into the site across the road from us. I went back to bed. We've been in this park for two weeks, and that was the ONLY noise we've heard.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived