Don't pester the armadillos this winter! Leprosy

skp51443

Don't pester the armadillos this winter!

http://keyetv.com/news/local/rare-disease-strikes-austin-man

Many people think of leprosy as a Biblical disease or a disease that has been eradicated -- but it is alive and well in Texas.
An Austin man just finished a scary journey trying fight off the bacteria that started crippling him.

The article has symptoms to watch for, your doctor has likely never seen a case so you may get a bad diagnosis.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

And stay away from the Prairie Dogs also! The fleas on them carry THE PLAGUE. BUBONIC that is.

And them there are the rattlesnakes, the cotton mouths, the alligators, the cactus, and the pack rats. etc. etc.

Have a nice time in TEXAS, ya'll ! :blink: :o :D :wub::rolleyes:

You left out the Damn Yankees who invade the State every Winter.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Why do you think that we Texans spread those stories all over the northern states? :P

That probably has more truth than the scary article. :lol:

It's really not a big threat considering only about 10% of armadillos actually carry the bacteria and 95% of the worlds population are immune to leprosy. So you would have to be one of the 5% who happened along 1 out of 10 armadillos that are infected and either handled one with a cut on your hand, don't wash your hands before you eat, or severely under-cooked your supper.

Not to mention that it's really no different than any other bacterial infection.. completely curable.

You're probably more likely to contract salmonella from handling raw... or eating under-cooked.. chicken.

Articles like this seem to pop up every year about this time... gotta make you wonder if Kirk isn't being honest. ;)

What I hoped the article would point out are the symptoms and the likelihood that you might be mis-diagnosed if your doctor wasn't familiar with leprosy.

Getting it is unlikely but if your luck is really bad and you do, then not knowing the possibility of your issues being leprosy is not good.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

What I hoped the article would point out are the symptoms and the likelihood that you might be mis-diagnosed if your doctor wasn't familiar with leprosy.

Getting it is unlikely but if your luck is really bad and you do, then not knowing the possibility of your issues being leprosy is not good.

Thanks for the information Stan. There is another health threat to ALL warm-blooded animals now in the FL Keys.; Screwworms! They are decimating the Key Deer herd in the Keys.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Screwworms! They are decimating the Key Deer herd in the Keys.

We volunteered at the Key Deer NWR in 2015 and have been following this closely. It appears that they've got a pretty good handle on it now, with a total of 132 deer lost to the New World screwworm. They lose (and will continue to lose) more deer to auto collisions than they will to the screwworm.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

We volunteered at the Key Deer NWR in 2015 and have been following this closely. It appears that they've got a pretty good handle on it now, with a total of 132 deer lost to the New World screwworm. They lose (and will continue to lose) more deer to auto collisions than they will to the screwworm.

i find that very surprising, considering the 45 mph speed limit. The point of my post is to alert pet owners, a screwworm will cause severe pain and suffering, until the animal dies.

I remember the last outbreak in Indiana. I was a pre-teen, Dad and i would inspect every cow, calf, and horse at least once a week. If a screwworm was found, Dad dug it out with a pocket knife and applied bacon grease to the wound.

Now, back to Stans post concerning leprosy, which is a far more serious human health threat to the 5% vulnerable to the debilitating disease.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived