Insurance coverage for lodging

We were one of the many who got damage in Colorado Springs from the big Hail Storm on July 28. We are just now being able to get our Motor Home in for repair. It has been a long process and dealing with the Good Sam Insurance company, National General.

Even though I called Camping World the day after the storm the earliest appointment they had to offer was Oct 18th, 3 months away. National General did provide an alternate repair shop that did get us in line sooner than Camping World and that is the short story on that part of it.

My question is what others have experienced with other insurance companies paying for lodging and meals while their Motor Home is in the shop.

As Full Timers we are out of our home and the RV repair shop is now telling us to expect them to have our Motor Home for 3 to 4 weeks.

National General will only pay up to $500 for lodging and meals. I have seen if the reason for being in the shop is due to mechanical break down they will pay up to $100/day for lodging and meals. Why they only will pay $500 max on a Hail Damage claim is not good at all. Again this is a RV repair shop of their choosing.

As I said we are Full Timers and we chose to go with Good Sam in 2014 all the way with financing, insurance and extended warranty coverage as they said they knew the needs of Full Timers. I requested an extension of the lodging benefits under all the circumstances but they have declined and repeated you will only get up to $500!

Has anyone else found a better insurance coverage or is this the industry standard?

I believe that coverage is pretty much the standard of the industry, unless you carry additional coverage of that type and for additional premium. I doubt that Good Sam really plays any part in that issue since National General is not a part of the Good Sam organization but GS is only acting as the selling agency, or at least that appears to be the way it works. You can by NG insurance coverage from several other well known RV insurance agencies.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you Kirk for you reply. Good Sam has been very active in this situation as they are with all on their forum. Thee monitor the posts and in cases like mine they do reply and ask for for a private message and they will look into it. Since they do advertise insurance and insurance for Full Timers it is under the name of Good Sam and to their interest to try and manage the complaints you can find on their site and with this insurance company. In my contact with the Good Sam Care Team they do in fact apologize for our problems with "Good Sam" Insurance.

The problem I see is how they will pay $100/day for lodging and meals IF the RV is in the shop for Mechanical Reasons but not for comprehensive damage.

I am researching Full Timers RV insurance now and find Progressive seems to have a much better Full Timers policy and at this point even cheaper than what Good Sam has with National General. My monthly premium will now be over $150/mo. It was $114.58/mo

You did not mention who you have your insurance with or if you have ever had to file a claim and be out of your home for any amount of time?

This maybe a VERY important discussion for all of us! my RV insurance is coming up for payment for another year. I will be asking for details on this situation.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

I just looked at our Progressive full-timers policy( S Dakota) and it pays the same amount for comp and collision losses . I also discovered - or didn't remember, if you have at least 1 vehicle with comp and collision coverage there is payment for treatment of your pet if they are inside the vehicle and are injured or die. If they die, there is coverage for replacement of the pet. Actually the coverages are more numerous that I remembered them to be. Our deductible also went down 25% after the 1st year of no claims, AND our annual premium went down at the renewal. We have only had 1 renewal. You may want to consider changing insurance companies, or at least review your policy with your agent so you can increase the coverages , or find our if that is possible and the cost.

Pat DeJong

You did not mention who you have your insurance with or if you have ever had to file a claim and be out of your home for any amount of time?

We were with National General for 7 years of our fulltime life, but in that time we never had a comprehensive claim, so I can't say for sure what the coverage was. Since we are no longer on the road full-time, we don't have fulltimer coverage any longer and have changed to a different policy from a different agency. We also have a much different RV now so unfortunately, I'd relying upon memory and that isn't always the best source.... :wacko: We did once have a claim for out of RV lodging but only for one night. Since our incident was several years ago, it may well be different today as well.

I do agree with others here that you would be well to compare coverage with what other companies offer and it is probably a good idea to do that at least on alternate years.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you all for the insights. Yes I have been looking and Progressive really sounds good as mentioned B4. I did read where they have the disappearing deductible at 25% a year so say in 4 years with no claims one can have 0 deductible. Progressive sounds like a very good fair insurance company now and one with RV Full Timers in mind.

As I said B4 we are just now being able to get the MH into the repair shop (on Monday). The added negative to it all besides the long wait and coverage hassles we have experienced with National General, is we now have to winterize the MH due to the overnight freezing temperatures expected in the month of Nov.

There are some justified reasons the repair work has taken so long to start as it is true all the shops in the area were and are heavily booked. However National General dropped the ball from the start. The Adjuster they hired to come out to us failed to send in his report and NGIC had to investigate that and that was a couple weeks delay. Then NGIC sent out the work order and check directly to the RV shop and when we took the MH in for the visual inspection by them the owner rejected the work order and told us we needed to get in touch with our insurance company (NGIC) . The amount of money for the work was too low for this shop to do an honest good repair job and they hold a A+ BBB rating. So that created more delay. Then after complaining to Good Sam and they in turn playing the role of middle man for us with NGIC, I got an email from their new in office adjuster taking over the claim and he says in type, he did not feel it was necessary to do the revised work order ASAP because all of the repair shops here in the area were so heavily booked. I fired back that his lack of urgency in processing our claim set us back even further as everyday you don't get in line the farther back in line you get!

So our upsets with Good Sam's Insurance provider has been added to to all the others who have complained on the Good Sam Web site and I could not recommend it to anyone.

Our yearly premium does expire in Nov and as I said the new premium with NGIC will be $152/mo up from $114/mo So yes I agree with all and will be changing Insurance Companies

Sorry to hear about your troubles. We have been with Progressive the 5 1/2 years we have been on the road plus the last four years we were static before retiring. No claims so I cannot speak to that, but, when we bought our new rig, we lost the disappearing deductible and had to start all over again. It does not transfer from one rig/policy to the next.

Just a question - with all the repair shops in your immediate area full, could you not have taken the rig to a further away facility and gotten the work done quicker? Would GS have worked with you on that?

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

First of all as with all situations, there are always other circumstances. To be honest I have to say I was in the Hospital with Guillian Barre, an autoimmune condition that took away my ability to stand, walk even feed myself. I had to learn to walk all over again and get my muscle coordination all back. I was released from the Hospital in Colorado Springs on JUly 27.The hail storm hit us July 28. I was restricted from Driving by the Doctors order and going to out patient therapy. I was still weak to be honest.

It was my wish I could drive and get out of the area as mentioned above but that was not an option. Even at that we would still have had to incur additional expenses. Still we would have done it as our original plan was to leave Colorado Springs and back on the road again heading to Florida back on Aug 19. My hospitalization is what complicated our situation and my need to stay close to the Hospital in case of a relapse and all of that. So add to that all the time and insurance money being sent to the RV repair shop of their choice rather than issuing us a check also became the stickler in this case.

The hail damage here in Colorado Springs with the July 28th Hail Storm was monumental, for the people on their cars, homes, RV's and businesses with tennis ball size hail. As for the damage caused to our Motor Home it is all on the roof but others did get it on the sides as well.Our car was totaled as many here were and you can google this storm and read all about it . So the roof needs to be completely taken off and replaced, along with a roof vent and the skylight over the shower which was totally broken and hail and water was coming in from that, some minor bathroom cabinet water damage occurred. The hail was so big and hit so hard it knocked out all the ceiling light covers inside. The big hail broke the clearance lights off the exterior, not just the lens covers but the body of the clearance lights as well. The TV antenna was damaged, the roof ladder, as well as the roof requiring it to be removed to repair damage underneath and then a new roof put on. The awning was damaged even rolled up so it needs to be replaced as well as the slide out toppers as they are riddled with holes. The satellite dish is dented but it still works well but shows the force of impact from the hail.

Some older Motor Homes and fifth wheels here were totaled as well. We have a 2015 Thor Class A Motor Home so we were lucky and able to with stand the Hail damage a bit better than others

I am curious. What type of damage is done by a hail storm that would force you to move out of the RV for repairs? Most RV repair places have a place to plug you in for overnight, you just need to be out during the day.

In response to your post I have to disagree as we have not found that to be true. Camping World here does not allow it and is not set up for that. In our travels we found that also to be true in California with a Camping World in San Bernardino and with Giant RV in Murrieta California. We did find one independent RV shop in Murrieta that did have as you said about 5 spots out front where one could park their Motor home over night and plug in. Every other place we have ever been too does not and will not allow you to stay inside there gated and locked facility for insurance reasons.

I would love to read your list of places you say "most do", as I would consider putting them on our road trip list as that is of great interest for full timers as well as for the RV community who are on vacation and experience the need, but most definitely for Full Timers

In our case here in Colorado Springs, the RV repair shop recommended and authorized us to go to because they could get us in sooner than Camping World, does not allow it and our insurance company even called them asking because I had complained about them only paying $500 max for lodging and food while we are out of our home. Keep in mind the Insurance company representing Good Sam Insurance will pay $100/day for lodging and meals IF you have a mechanical break down and in the shop but for this comprehensive damage from the hailstorm they will only pay up to $500 period! So they have not offered any explanation for that, they have not even suggested they have a plan that would cover more than a flat $500 for lodging and food for a comprehensive damage claim for a higher premium. So as I have found out Progressive does and seems to offer a much better plan for less, for Full Timers than Good Sam is, so yes we will be switching

Ron,

I don't have a list of places but every Coach Care facility that we've been at has hookups for overnight stays, and we have been locked in for the night at more than one. Not a big deal. We use Massey Diesel in Phoenix for our yearly maintence, etc., and they have open bays, so that come night, your coach is plugged in where it sits, and you spend the night there, the facility is locked after 10:00pm and opens again at 6:00 am. Brazel RV in Centralia Washington even has an RV park set up at the facility - - pull throughs and sometimes you don't even move for work, the technicans do the work at your site. Lots of others, just takes calling around to find them.

That said, since your roof is coming off, there is no way that you could stay in your rig while that is being done. I agree it sounds ridiculous that for comprehensive there is only a $500 for the whole thing.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

In response those that I remember right now are: Morryde, Master Tech, Blue Ox, several in Phoenix, collision place in Nacogdoches, MCD. I personally would never consider Camping World for any thing.

You do know you don't need to go to where the insurance company sends you, you can pick any place you personally want to do the repairs.

I have even seen people getting a new roof just stay inside the garage overnight.

The emails are coming to me out of order for some reason. Just got your explaining the problems email. I wasn't aware of the hail storm in Colorado and its devastation.

In all our dealings with insurance they have given us a check to cover and said if it was more to have the repair place send documentation. We selected the place, they noticed more damage, notified the insurance and we received the additional monies to pay them. No money ever went to the repair place.

Thanks for the feed back from all. Our Travels as Full Timers started in 2014 and are main destinations are the states we have family, so for us its California Colorado, Texas Georgia and Florida. I have heard from several in the RV community about how good Arizona is for repairs as well as other services, so will keep that in mind.

We started our Full Timing with the purchase of our MH with Good Sam Financing (Bank of the West) and Good Sam Insurance ( National General) and we also got the extended Good Sam Warranty so live and learn as they say. I have heard many complaints against Camping World and from the Good Sam Forum as there are against National General Insurance.

I know there will always be people complaining about something and everyone can have good or bad experiences, but for Good Sam to have as many as there are found on its web site forum with Camping World and National General Insurance is sad I think for such a well know RV Company name. That is why I keep sending my situation to them as they are the ones who need to over see things and customer complaints for the good of the name Good Sam.

These RV forums are really great and helpful to us all and I look at a few like Escapees as we are members, Good Sam, Thor owners and so it helps us understand all the various situations problems and solutions and know we are not alone as others are having the same problems.

In the beginning all was great with Thor and warranty service and Camping world too. Thor would tell us we could stay in our MH while repairs were being done and we as I have said found that out to just not be true where we were in Colorado Springs and California. The one place we did find as I said earlier in Murrieta

California was ideal and had to hooks and policy of allowing over night stays but they refused to do business with Thor.

Anyway we all have our experiences good and bad and roads to travel.

We had neighbors here in this RV park who got direct payment from Insurance companies but as I have said that did not happen in our case. I think it too can depend on who the person you are dealing with. In our case it has become apparent that NGIC felt this RV shop worked for them and when we were told by this RV shop he did not like the way NGIC was handling claims and he was close to refusing to any more work for/with NGIC and that we needed to get in touch with them to get things worked out, they got upset on the phone saying he should not be saying that to you he works for us! I said well he does have a A+ rating with the BBB here and at this point it is more than I can say for NGIC. It has been a long convoluted story for sure but almost over with now

The hail damage here in Colorado Springs with the July 28th Hail Storm was monumental, for the people on their cars, homes, RV's and businesses with tennis ball size hail. As for the damage caused to our Motor Home it is all on the roof but others did get it on the sides as well.Our car was totaled as many here were and you can google this storm and read all about it . So the roof needs to be completely taken off and replaced, along with a roof vent and the skylight over the shower which was totally broken and hail and water was coming in from that, some minor bathroom cabinet water damage occurred. The hail was so big and hit so hard it knocked out all the ceiling light covers inside. The big hail broke the clearance lights off the exterior, not just the lens covers but the body of the clearance lights as well. The TV antenna was damaged, the roof ladder, as well as the roof requiring it to be removed to repair damage underneath and then a new roof put on. The awning was damaged even rolled up so it needs to be replaced as well as the slide out toppers as they are riddled with holes. The satellite dish is dented but it still works well but shows the force of impact from the hail.

As Colorado Springs residents we dodged a bullet with this storm. The storm hammered the south and east portions of the town/county without even so much as a drop of rain at our house in the northern part according to a neighbor. A good thing since we were out of town and the house and RV were unattended so damage might not have been noticed until we returned home.

I'm sorry you are having the issues you are having. This storm is now being listed as the 6th most expensive natural disaster in Colorado history. If you don't mind me asking, which shop is doing the repairs for you?

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Chalkie, Its Don's Body shop on 21st street in Old Town. I recommend this guy because he has been up front and honest with us from day one and added that he has a A+ BBB rating I feel very confident he will do us right and get the job done right.I have had a good relation with the service department at Camping World here in Fountain as well. As I have said earlier the first available appointment they could offer the day after the storm was for Oct 18 and the first appointment is for visual inspection only. NGIC gave us Don's as he could see us sooner.

Chalkie, Its Don's Body shop on 21st street in Old Town. I recommend this guy because he has been up front and honest with us from day one and added that he has a A+ BBB rating I feel very confident he will do us right and get the job done right.I have had a good relation with the service department at Camping World here in Fountain as well. As I have said earlier the first available appointment they could offer the day after the storm was for Oct 18 and the first appointment is for visual inspection only. NGIC gave us Don's as he could see us sooner.

Thanks! I will keep that business in mind!

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We have had a very good experience with Progressive. Had a collision in Canada which is considered "at fault." The closest place I knew about to get the work done was where i had bought the coach in Niagara Falls, NY. They paid the tow and are paying to restore the coach less my deductible and I have not heard a word of complaint from the body shop about working with the Progressive adjuster. I turned down the hotel expense coverage as I stayed first with a cousin in Toronto and then in our own apartment 60 miles from the collision shop. I actually had to decline it a couple of times because the claims agent reiterated that I was entitled to it. As soon as the body shop manager and adjuster came to an initial cost I had the check in hand. At my request it was made to me and the body shop. I had chosen them, Progressive reminded me several times that I did not need to have the work done at any particular shop. I expect that when this is done there will be another check approaching the size of the original. It is my understanding that the adjuster has checked in regularly on the job.

I hope that Progressive will continue to insure us and I will send anyone in the region to Colton RV in North Tonawanda NY. Even though the work is not quite done, I am very pleased with the way they have treated me.

'12 Phaeton 36 QSH hauling '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon 4 down. Follow our travels Click here

Archived