Water & antifreeze in hot water tank.

Bruce H

Last fall I winterized the MH. I kept the old anode rod in until I would change it this spring. I made sure the bypass lever was in the correct position before winterizing it, also drained the hot water tank.

Went out to change anode rod today. Pulled the old one out and water & antifreeze came pouring out.Can't figure out what I did wrong. Checked the lever again, still in the bypass position. So any sugestions as to what I might have done wrong? Did not have this problem last winter.

Next question, what should I use to flush out the hot water tank to get rid of the antifreeze residue?

Thanks in advance.

Lots of water will flush out the remaining harmless anti-freeze. If your bypass is a single valve setup that uses a check valve on the hot outlet to prevent water from back feeding into the tank, I suspect that's where the problem is. Those check valves are a well known failure item when mineral buildup causes them to stick. Most commonly, they stick closed, but one sticking open is not unheard of.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Bruce, ya right, this site is full of good ppl. always someone that has either had that problem, worked in that field. An plenty of good how to do this ....

Was on another rv site. prior. This one is top of list. have not even gone back to that other one.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Archived