RV Tires. Every RV Owner should read this

Al F

docj, On irv2.com there is a crowd that insist everyone should inflate tires to tire mfgrs. load/inflation charts which display the minimum recommended pressure for the corresponding load. The referenced pdf flatly states those charts should only be followed IF it is at or higher than the RV mfgrs. placard requirement. Trailer tires should be inflated to sidewall maximum according to nearly all trailer tire mfgrs. Carlysle ST Tire's warranty used to state the warranty was voided if run at less.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I guess I've never seen a debate about using pressures below the placard levels; most of the RV forum discussions that I've read are with people who insist tires should be filled to the sidewall maximums. In the case of my MH, I'm running about 10 psi above the placard pressure to account for our load as weighed.

Are you saying you're seriously overweight (as in 6% or more) and compensating by over inflating your tires?

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

Are you saying you're seriously overweight (as in 6% or more) and compensating by over inflating your tires?

Not at all. The placard calls for inflation pressures of 100 psi (front) and 90 (rear) which may have been sufficient for the coach as delivered. With the weight we are carrying, my Michelin dealer and I calculated that the correct pressures should be ~110 (front) and 100 (rear). The tire sidewall maximums are 120 psi; so I am nowhere close to over-inflating them.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Joel I am running the exact same pressures in my coach. This is based on axle weights. Havent been able to do individual tire weights yet.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Joel I am running the exact same pressures in my coach. This is based on axle weights. Havent been able to do individual tire weights yet.

Does the total load on your axles exceed total GAWR as listed on the certification label?

FE

Everest 363K 38'
Dodge DRW 3500 Turbo Diesel
USN Retired - DOD Retired

Archived