Domicile Pros & Cons

Where are you getting the 90 day requirement for a DL in South Dakota?

I just registered mine last month in SD after researching the heck out of this and never saw anything about 90 days or even that you needed a SD DL.

Currently in AL and was planning on SD when it is warmer....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gee , you guys think once every 5 years is too much to deal with when renewing a drivers license ?

You make it sound like it's a major hassle . Maybe you're use to being served breakfast in bed every morning ? That would be nice , but ... ;)

Florida is every 10 years. You can do the first 10 renewal online, so it's really 20 years. Yikes. :)

Florida is every 10 years. You can do the first 10 renewal online, so it's really 20 years. Yikes. :)

Believe the same is now true for SD - online and 10 years.

I *think* Technomadia is switching to FL because of family ties and I think there is a conversion from RV to boat in their future (I could be wrong about the boat, so don't quote me)

FL seems to have more insurance regulations (to protect seniors) - I have been told that some RV insurance plans will not insure and/or have higher rates for FL residents.

We are coming up on decision time this DEC when we retire. Health insurance is a non-issue for us (we are retiring federal employees, so have nation-wide insurance).

Would greatly appreciate a compare/contrast from folks who domicile in both FL & SD - our 2018 travel plans include stays in both FL & SD, so we can do whichever state best suits our needs.

One final determinant: sensitive subject I know, but we choose to carry, so CCW rules and regulations (and reciprocity!) is important to us.

Bob & Anne-Marie Williams

| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego bikes |

| Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime |

event.png

While there may be other issues, the one I have seen people run into trouble with is having vehicle tags from one state and a DL from another. Our auto insurers always request both tag numbers and a copy of our DL licenses. I take it you have read through this: https://www.escapees.com/fun/hops/12-public/222-south-dakota-domicile-information and a "real" person account: http://www.interstellarorchard.com/2012/11/12/setting-up-south-dakota-residency-for-rvers-1/

If your vehicle is already insured then simply changing your address on the policy won't require copies of DL etc., or at least it didn't when we chose SD for our domicile using the SKP service. In fact you may find your insurance premium goes down. We set up our address etc four months before we processed our domicile in SD.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

Believe the same is now true for SD - online and 10 years.

I *think* Technomadia is switching to FL because of family ties and I think there is a conversion from RV to boat in their future (I could be wrong about the boat, so don't quote me)

FL seems to have more insurance regulations (to protect seniors) - I have been told that some RV insurance plans will not insure and/or have higher rates for FL residents.

We are coming up on decision time this DEC when we retire. Health insurance is a non-issue for us (we are retiring federal employees, so have nation-wide insurance).

Would greatly appreciate a compare/contrast from folks who domicile in both FL & SD - our 2018 travel plans include stays in both FL & SD, so we can do whichever state best suits our needs.

One final determinant: sensitive subject I know, but we choose to carry, so CCW rules and regulations (and reciprocity!) is important to us.

SD is 5 years according to the website.

I just switched from FL where we lived for 30+ years to SD when we went full time. RV and toad registered in SD now; will get DLs when the weather improves.

Now that I have done it it appears to be about equal either way financially yearly EXCEPT we saved a ton in sales tax buying our RV through SD 4% vs FL 6%.

SD has cheaper insurance but more expensive renewals. My DP is heavy and costs $650 to renew. Florida is the opposite.

We use http://www.americas-mailbox.com and are happy with them. There is info on their site about CCW which requires a 30 day continuous stay in that county (Pennington). No idea about reciprocity.

We are trying to decide between America's Mailbox and DakotaPost. Right now DakotaPost is edging out the others because it has a virtual mailbox [https://dakotapost.net/rates-services/virtual-mailbox]

A handy feature that could save money by not forwarding all the 1st class (so much 1st class I JUNK these days!) Plus, if there is something no-kidding important in the mail, it's nice to know I can have it scanned and emailed to me by the next day.

BTW I think I misspoke on SD - It is 5 years but I believe you can renew on line.

Hmmm RMD, you make a interesting point! We will not be buying a new Coach for some time but it IS a heavy sucker! (Tag axel, GVWR at 56K IIRC) Maybe I need to investigate FL more closely....

event.png

I was confused on this weight thing also.

You need the UVW-unloaded vehicle weight. This will be on a sticker in the coach or the title. If neither then you need an official weight ticket at a scale place.
For reference my GVWR is 44,000 and my UVW is 36,500. I misspoke my registration is $684.

Looks like 44320 - maybe I need to see what FL will charge for registration :)

event.png

Yowsa! I thought mine was heavy.

Do you have a Prevost or similar?

I think FL is $75/year, less for older coaches. There is a one time fee of $2-300 transferring from another state.

Similar - a Berkshire XLT (Tag Axel) - 43' so, yeah, it's a beast :)

event.png

Hmmm Looks like TechNomads were reporting issues in 2016 in Getting a DL - seems you have to register your car/RV first and then the FL DMV is not recognizing SBI

as a valid physical address - wonder what is up with this?

http://www.technomadia.com/2013/02/setting-up-domicile-in-florida-as-a-full-time-rver/

event.png

We are domiciled in SD and you can register your vehicles there with a drivers license from any state. That in itself does not make it your domicile. If you want to domicile there, you would need to stay 1 night in the state, have a receipt with all names and get your drivers license, register to vote if you wish, and provide the requested paperwork. To further affirm your domicile, you should now get insurance on your vehicles using your SD address. To start this process, I would search for the various mail forwarding services in the state, decide which one you want to use and get started with that. Most of the websites have information and forms for registering vehicles and help topics for becoming a resident. They are willing to help you. We use Your Best Address in Sioux Falls SD

Pat DeJong

We expect to change domicile from NJ (where we live now) to FL once we go on the road in late November. We expect to be in FL through at least mid-January, so we have plenty of time.

In addition to Escapees are their other mail forwarding services that can also provide a legal address in Florida? Any feedback on why one may be better than another?

2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A

Retired and loving it!

www.milesandsmiles.us

event.png

BTW I think I misspoke on SD - It is 5 years but I believe you can renew on line.

South Dakota does now allow online renewal. However, the requirements to do so make it difficult for a fulltimer to comply with:

"To renew your South Dakota driver license online, you must have:

• A federally compliant SD driver's license.
  • A vision test report dated no more than 6 months.
  • Proof of your South Dakota residency on file with the SD DPS (no more than 1 year old).

If you meet the requirements above, you can renew your SD driver's license online every 10 years."

The above comes from http://www.dmv.org/sd-south-dakota/renew-license.php

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Wow! I have a 43' tag and thought mine was heavy.

In your research I would suggest comparing insurance SD vs FL to help in your decision making.

I am doing that right now with my agent -- when I get the results in I will let the group know.

I am really hoping that the numbers favor FL for a number of reasons, foremost of which is we currently live in AL and will be heading to FL in early JAN 2018 for several weeks so easy-peasy :)

SBI's address (Green Cove Springs, FL 32043) address is supposed to be a "rural" address and they tout that this address has "the lowest insurance costs in FL." Will that offset SD vehicle registration for a big rig? I don't know, but I am a Operations Researcher and will run the numbers and let y'all know ;)

SBI Mail forwarding is slightly more expensive than FMCA's SD Post but, again, just another domicile variable in the calculus.

Some have said that we are overcomplicating things - Mea Culpa! As I said, I am a research scientist, terribly anal, and like to know "what the data says" Hopefully when I retire in DEC, I can hit the 'flush' button and get this trait out of my system! :lol:

event.png

South Dakota does now allow online renewal. However, the requirements to do so make it difficult for a fulltimer to comply with:

"To renew your South Dakota driver license online, you must have:

• A federally compliant SD driver's license.
  • A vision test report dated no more than 6 months.
  • Proof of your South Dakota residency on file with the SD DPS (no more than 1 year old).

If you meet the requirements above, you can renew your SD driver's license online every 10 years."

The above comes from http://www.dmv.org/sd-south-dakota/renew-license.php

This is not the official site. The vision test is for 65 or older.

This is: http://dps.sd.gov/licensing/driver_licensing/Renewing_Your_Driver_License_Online_or_by_Mail.aspx

You can renew online but must have stayed in SD at least one night in the past year. There are other things similar to when you first get your SD license.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of comments, if it's not too late. 

First, I would favor Florida for your domicile, especially if you intend to "move in" in January. Texas boosters will of course disagree, but I think Florida is just easier to deal with legally, as regards both vehicle laws and CCW laws. And, is likely to stay that way. Politically, Florida is "run" by seniors, and that makes and keeps their laws very senior-friendly.

Ideally, your domicile is someplace you wouldn't mind heading in the winter in case you need to do something local.

As to mailing service, be sure you understand how the Escapees "remote" services in Florida and South Dakota work: you would have *two* mailing addresses, one in FL/SD for "official" mail and a main one in Texas. The intent is that all but a very small amount of your correspondence has to use the Texas address. Then, if you get "official" mail at FL/SD, it is forwarded to Texas before it is sent to you. I know, I know, lots of Escapees use this, but that's not something I wanted to deal with. 

Beware of Patriot Act hassles. As you've heard, reportedly St Brendan's may be having some issues. We went with MyRVMail in Crestview, Florida, which is the same provider Good Sam uses. They also run Passport America, and you get a discount on the mail service if you're a PA member. Part of the reason for domiciling in Crestview is that it's closer to the rest of the country. Florida is big! :) Also, they had the lowest insurance costs for us. 

A tip: set up your new mail handler 6 months or more before d-day, and get all your financial accounts transferred. That way, if the new address triggers a Patriot Act letter, you can send proof of your current residence address, and they'll go away. This gets a lot tougher once you hit the road. We also took out a couple "extra" credit cards in case we "lose" an institution due to PA issues. We have 401ks in two different institutions for the same reason. If you get the "remove your funds in 30 days or we will cash you out" letter, you have someplace to put it. We also opened a Wells Fargo checking account so that we can have a "walk-in" bank wherever we go.

We have found that getting mail can be a hassle. It's fine if you're going to be someplace for 10 days, but less than that and you end up having to pay for expensive "fast" forwarding. By the time you figure a business day for the mail service to ship, then 5-7 business days in transit, and subtract weekends...

Finally, I would *not* go to Alaska your first year. Get your feet wet first. No matter how much, and how long you study and prep there's still a big learning curve and adjustment period imo/ime. The Alaska trip is stressful even for experienced rigs and crews; leave that for year two. 

One guy's opinion. Glhf. 

1994 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WB40

Full-timers since 2016, domiciled in Crestview, Florida

On 3/2/2017 at 9:41 AM, HSVBamaBob said:

I am really hoping that the numbers favor FL for a number of reasons, foremost of which is we currently live in AL and will be heading to FL in early JAN 2018 for several weeks so easy-peasy

Just be sure that you understand all of the issues of domicile when you make the choice. While legal challenges to one's claim of domicile are not common, they can be disastrous when/if they should take place. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Doing a lot of research as we plan on full time.  In CA we have to take delivery out of the state or else we have to pay excise tax of 8% of the purchase price, so we will sign the papers in Reno.  Once we sign the papers we have 45 days to register in S.D. and can take our time to go there to stay overnight and get our DL and register to vote.  30 day stay required for CCW.

It's not a big deal but no other posts on this forum are acting like this when I read them.  For instance, on this particular post, Gannet & JRP's post don't have double spacing. However, HSVBamaBob, RMD3819 and a couple others do... and it even seems like more than double spacing.  No one else is seeing this?  Strange, indeed.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Another question I haven't heard addressed...

When my wife and I establish domicile in Florida, our children will be in college -- possibly in two different states -- and each will have their car.

What would/should/can their domicile be? Where there school is? At the same address as us? At our vacation cottage? And how about car registrations?

2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A

Retired and loving it!

www.milesandsmiles.us

event.png

Archived