"Road Buddy" App

Kevin H

Gas Buddy is a great program/app. Saves us all lot’s of money and frustration. The other day while getting my brains shaken out of my head in New Mexico I thought “sure wish someone would develop an app like Gas Buddy for roads and conditions." Name it “Road Buddy”. Anyone could contribute with feedback on any road.

Users could search via state, county, city or road. Data would be up to date as it is provided by live users and it could be updated/amended at any time.

Any web developers out there? Shouldn’t be too difficult.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

Good idea Kevin! Go for it. I would be glad to participate and add such info as would help fellow travelers. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Howdy,

I think this (road/traffic conditions) already exists, and is called Waze. It also replaced Gas Buddy for us, as it allows us to search for cheap gas along our route, and along with price, shows how many minutes off-route each station would be.

Cheers,

--

Vall.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

I think the OP was more after overall road conditions, not just traffic conditions. Waze does a great job with traffic with all it's real time users and especially if a crash or road construction has traffic really backed up. However Waze doesn't tell you anything about road conditions other than users marking where road construction is and sometimes where bad pot holes are. It surely doesn't let you know though that a certain road is going to be "rough" for a truck or RV.

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

"I think the OP was more after overall road conditions, not traffic just traffic conditions..."

Exactly - but after looking at Waze - my app expands the model to include overall road conditions - traffic, construction, speed limits PLUS surface conditons, lane restrictions, one way streets, school crossings, low bridges/obstructions (vegetation etc), ingress/egress issues to side businesses and a host of what ever anyone else wants.

I envision it to be updateable lilke Gas Buddy and Wikipedia. Hmmm -- This is intriguing. Anyone have suggestions as to a developement platform or language? I have been out of the developement world for quite a while.

Gas Buddy is a great program/app. Saves us all lot’s of money and frustration. The other day while getting my brains shaken out of my head in New Mexico I thought “sure wish someone would develop an app like Gas Buddy for roads and conditions." Name it “Road Buddy”. Anyone could contribute with feedback on any road.
Users could search via state, county, city or road. Data would be up to date as it is provided by live users and it could be updated/amended at any time.
Any web developers out there? Shouldn’t be too difficult.

Wouldn't happen to have been on US 285 between Carlsbad and Pecos, would it...? I would have appreciated a heads-up on that one, too!

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Wouldn't happen to have been on US 285 between Carlsbad and Pecos, would it...? I would have appreciated a heads-up on that one, too!

Rob

Yup! That was a real bad one. Also some others in Utah - specifically SH262 off of US191 south of Moab. So bad that we turned around after three miles at 30mph. Absolutely the worst road we have tried to travel. Would loved to have had some input on that one. That is the one that triggered the idea.

Here's and idea - how about we start a thread on here that could ba a sticky? We all could contribute. This forum has a pretty good search engine. Matter of fact - I am going to start a thread titled "Road Buddy". I'm going for a bike ride now. I'll put something out there tonight.

Dave just showed me an app on his phone that looked like what you want. When I asked him the name of the app he said it's MnDot's site. So maybe check for such sites where you plan to travel?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PLUS surface conditons,

Road surface quality could be deduced by measuring accelerometer readings on the smartphone. Sudden shocks at the same location confirmed by several vehicles could be sign of surface defect, debris, etc.

I suggested this (and what we now know as Waze) to the DOT I work for 6 years ago and was pooh-poohed.

Then last year Google found and bought Waze for 1 billion USD. Perhaps I am in the wrong line of business.

--

2017 Promaster 159" , 570W mono, 220AH FLA

blog | RVwiki project

Archived