Diesel Fuel Additives, how often do you use?

Velos

Yes, in the winter months when we were in cold country. The stuff I used was supposed to be mixed at an ounce of treatment to so many gallons of fuel so I estimated how many gallons I would be adding and split the needed treatment between tanks. I used a combination product, algae killer, water remover and anti-jell of various brands over the years.

Amazon has a bunch and lots of reviews: http://www.amazon.com/gp/top-rated/automotive/15718841

This is a good read on all aspects of diesel fuel: http://www.chevron.com/documents/pdf/DieselFuelTechReview.pdf

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Use it every time we fuel up according to instructions.

Double the amount in winter for longer term storage.

Optilube XPD

For most it must be ordered online - easy process no problem.

We have a relatively older vehicle - 2001 Volvo

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

We have been searching for one that has a biocide (algae killer) in it. We are in MS and cant find any even at the big truck stops. Guess we'll try on line

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Ours is a daily driver. Therefore, there is no need for a fuel stabilizer. I do use CRC Diesel Therapy at every oil change. It' the same stuff (relabeled) that the Ram dealer sells.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

Use it every time we fuel up according to instructions.

Double the amount in winter for longer term storage.

Optilube XPD

For most it must be ordered online - easy process no problem.

We have arelatively older vehicle - 2001 Volvo

X2 - Optilube "Summer Blend" which is a lot cheaper and provides superior lubricity compared to other products according to this study: Diesel Fuel Lubricity Additive Study Results

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

I found the biocide at Tractor Supply.

Thanks Chuck. I'll keep that in mind. We did find some at Kings,Inc in Pascagula.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

A friend has added a gallon of gasoline to a tank of diesel once a month to kill algae and prevent gelling. Also uses gas to start hard to start diesel engine places gas soaked rag over intake.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Adding gas may be no problem but if you have one with an alcohol type additive it can eat your O rings and cost a bundle. Not sure which engines are impacted but my IH 530 had a BIG WARNING about it.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

My brother said he would add some gas occasionally when he found the truck with gelled fuel on a cold morning. Wouldn't make a practice of it though. He did over the road for many years and probably hit all of the lower 48 in all of their various seasons.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Archived