Resume

JPtravel

We built a workamping resume that includes both of us but some of the jobs require you to apply separately. (ie National park job) Do you use the Workamper resume or make individual resumes? We are new at this and have only worked in the oil fields as gate guards.

2016 Keystone Laredo 355 RL

2008 Ford F350

I've always just submitted the one, since it specifies what each of us can bring to the job. This is for a hosting or workamping job - NOT a professional position.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I've always just submitted the one, since it specifies what each of us can bring to the job. This is for a hosting or workamping job - NOT a professional position.

Same here.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

Originally, I had made a single resume, listing the info for both of us (before I ever decided if/who I would submit an application to).

Since the one workamper job my wife and I have done required not only separate applications, but separate email addresses to submit the applications, I split my original single resume into two. It wasn't difficult.

I thought it was silly to have to use separate email addresses for each of us to apply.

Don

We built a workamping resume that includes both of us but some of the jobs require you to apply separately. (ie National park job) Do you use the Workamper resume or make individual resumes?

First of all, let me welcome you to the Escapee's open forums! We are happy to have you join in and will do all that we can to assist you.

Are you thinking of paid positions or of RV volunteer ones such as campground hosts or positions on our national wildlife refuges, national parks, and the Corps of Engineers, which are basically volunteer positions with a supplied campsite & utilities? The national parks and wildlife refuges have some seasonal employees who are paid positions and those each one must apply as an individual and you may have only one of the two actually receive a job offer. Those do require completely separate resumes and applications. On the other hand, if you are thinking of the RV volunteer positions where you are not paid at all or receive just a small stipend, those are normally one application & resume for a couple. We have done more than 30 different tours as RV volunteers for campsite (sometimes there are other benefits as well) and in such situations they normally only have one application and resume for each couple and they fill the positions in that same way.

Nearly all state park agencies also supply RV sites to volunteers as campground hosts as well as many also having positions for maintenance assistance and some for those who do interpretive work. Many of our national parks use volunteers in interpretive positions such as naturalists, visitor center staff, leading nature walks and historic tours. We have spent time on 11 different national wildlife refuges where we have done things like lawn and field mowing, minor construction, public contact & visitor center work, wildlife studies, and a wide variety of other things. It has been a wonderful experience and it does stretch the budget since you don't pay for your site but there is no rate of pay and only a few such places still offer a stipend due to the tight budgets of public agencies.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for everyone's input. We have been enjoying the site for awhile.

I guess we have a different meaning for Workamper. By no means would I consider a job paying $8.00 or so a "professional" job. We are no where near retirement age but recently started full time RV with the thought of finding seasonal jobs that pay and have a RV site. We would like to go Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, dude ranches and open to other possibilities. We have seen many of these places and thought we would like to work and play at some of them. We are working on 2 separate Workamper resumes now. Thanks to all.

2016 Keystone Laredo 355 RL

2008 Ford F350

While it can be difficult to find paid work for the park service, there are vendors who hire workers and do supply an RV site as well as the many commercial RV parks which also supply a site with pay. There is a magazine in which many of them advertise as do many other organizations who seek RV people for seasonal work. I would suggest that you check out the magazine Workamper News as a possible source of places to go. We found it to be by far the largest such listing of both paid and volunteer positions.

• 2 weeks later...

we are new at this. I have plenty of professional resumes with all my federal and military experience, but trying to build one for workamping is totally different. Have not been able to find any good examples to use.

Bob

Retired Army Bob & Sherry, Border Collie Misty. Cincinnati, OH 2014 Tour 42QD. 2015 GMC Canyon, Blue Ox Aventa Tow Bar, 2001 Honda Gold Wing, SMI Air Force Onesmile.gif

Kirk was nice enough to send me one and I used it to put one together for us. Thank you again, Kirk.

I was happy to do so and would gladly share it with others if they supply an email address. I had considered posting it on our website but decided that would be a little much in the public uncontrolled arena. One day I may go in and device a purely fictional resume that is comparable to post, but so far have not put in the work.

Bob, if you are interested, drop me a PM and I'll share ours with you. Always remember when building any resume, if the recipient does not read it the document is useless and most employers read no more than two pages.

• 4 months later...

We are thinking of work-camping while being on the road. Not sure what we'll do but want to keep busy. I know resumes are required but somewhat concerned as our work experience won't align with most positions available. How does one fill out a resume that fits the job description? Example; light maintenance work needed - my background is engine / transmission engineering / manufacturing. Not a good fit. Am I capable of operating a lawnmower or a leave blower, painting etc? Sure, I've owned and maintained a home.

How do you make the music match the lyrics? Any hints on a general resume?

John

Rudy, welcome to the Escapee forums! It is great having you become a part of things here.

If all that you are thinking is to keep busy may I suggest that you consider the RV volunteer lifestyle? We spent 12 years fulltime and would typically spend a month or two in travel and then stop in some public park or nonprofit agency and volunteer in return for our site and utilities for anywhere from one to four months, then move on to the next place. We spent most time at national wildlife refuges but we also stopped at both state and national parks and several other more unique locations. I invite you to take a look at some of the places that we volunteered as you can see pictures of what we experienced and read a brief summary of each one.

Whether you are looking for paid positions or the volunteer type, most potential employers are not expecting people with a lot of experience in the particular work that you will be doing but only for willing workers who are expecting to learn and in most cases who also enjoy public contact. We found that at many of the wildlife refuges we did very little work with the public while in parks we did a lot. We also found that most of the places that we spent time also offered opportunities to learn new things and to have experiences that we could never have had in any other way. We do use a resume, but it is short and very general and we give references to places that we have volunteered in the past or similar types of locations/people. If you wish, drop me a private note with your email address and I will be happy to share our resume with you, for an example of what has worked well for us.

Archived