Rainbow Plantation

wtmtnhiker

I was looking at RV park reviews for Rainbow plantation and one of the recent reviews said (" Gun shots ALL AROUND campground some automatic & very large caliber (very unnerving since you don't know which direction the person is shooting in). Crop dusters flying (buzzing) from daylight to dark.")

None of the other reviews mention it so it gives me pause. Is there a reason for concern here or was it just an anomoly? I have nothing against guns but this could be unnerving and annoying as the o.p. states.

Garry
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500

We have been there twice in the last 3 months. Have not seen any crop dusters, however, there is someone across the road who apparently has a shooting range on his property and does use it.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

I agree with Dennis - there is some shooting across the street. But it is not automatic weapons.

Crop dusters "could" be in the area since they do use them there. But that would be for a very short time until they get the fields done. There ARE single engine trainers overhead from the naval training center sometimes. But they are pretty high up. They are props - not jets.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

It sounds to me as though that review author was angry about something else and so was trying to give them a black eye.....

I think you could be right Kirk. That's why I posted here to ask those who know. Like I said the other reviewers didn't mention it.

Garry
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500

There's a crop duster that has his runway about 3 miles toward town. It is a turboprop just as the trainers are using. Like Jack said there is someone nearby that has a range and there is shooting but not everyday and not all day.. We know how beautiful that park is so I think Kirk is right, he had a bone to pick..

It reminds me of some of the scathing reviews you read like trains all night, traffic noise, airplanes, etc. I've noted that a lot of that type of review is generally from people with very few reviews and maybe they were new and expecting that quiet, peaceful remote park advertised on TV.

Those with more reviews tend to tone it down a lot to more like some train noise at night....

Besides, those crop dusters sound great and it's a joy to watch them work.

If they don't like airplane noise, they should not ever stay at Tye RV park in Tye Texas. It literally is right under the approach patch of the B-1's and C-130's at Dyess. B-1's flew approaches all evening. You could look up and see them as they go overhead at 300-500'... Sweet music.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

There are people that dislike firearms and/or are afraid of them. They would not be comfortable, I suppose, hearing gunshots. I suppose that phobia could carry across to any loud noise....like a military trainer flying at 3000'

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Where is this review not just the excerpt shown by the OP? When I first log into escapees site I find the park reviews listed in the left column but I can't figure out how to access it. Clicking on it brings up an explanation panel but leads nowhere.

bigjim, look at December 2014 at RV Park Reviews.

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Thanks, I didn't realize it was not the park reviews from the escapees. I'm glad to read that one but I would like to figure out access the escapees park review site. I was able to before the format changed but I haven't figure it out on this new version.

Besides, those crop dusters sound great and it's a joy to watch them work.

If they don't like airplane noise, they should not ever stay at Tye RV park in Tye Texas. It literally is right under the approach patch of the B-1's and C-130's at Dyess. B-1's flew approaches all evening. You could look up and see them as they go overhead at 300-500'... Sweet music.

We must be in the minority. I've always thought that a perfect house would have a switchyard on one side, an airport on the other and a big ship harbor just down the road. :P

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

...I would like to figure out access the escapees park review site.

If you ever figure out how to get to it, let us know!

Like you, I've clicked on the "park review" button on the Escapees main website, but all I get is an explanation, but no link to it.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• 2 weeks later...

I don't dislike firearms, I have a CHL in Texas and I do shoot from time to time but I wouldn't like to be near a shooting range

RVing because of the noise. I live on a small ranch in SE Texas and a paper company owns all of the land around my ranch.

The paper company has two deer camps very near my home, barns and out buildings and when deer season is open we don't like the shooting so very close

to us. The reason for the two deer camps is because one is for salaried workers of the paper company and the other is for hourly employees. I guess that they don't

want the salaried employees to mingle with the hourly employees?

There is no "shooting range" near Rainbow Plantation. Just to be clear - there is a house close to the park where the person occasionally shoots. I assume in a safe fashion, or his neighbors would have been on him about it. Actually, there are two houses where that occasionally happens. It is not really an issue, unless you dislike or are afraid of firearms.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Jack, I haven't beent there in several years but I sure thought there was some type of range in that area in the past if not now. I wonder if it isnt' a club type set up or someone that does something like Concealed Carry classes and certifications. Besides that there is some hunting done in that area but that would olny account for intermittant fireing and in scattered areas.

I believe it said they stayed in a Class A. Also I wondered if it wasn't when they were doing or learning the computer usage related to the changes brought about by reservations and the single price without the added electric that has come about. I would guess it doesn't really make that much of a difference as it was a horrible review and that happens from time to time.

I went back and acessed some of their reviews of other places they have been and some were really good and some were way worse than the one on Summerdale.

We stayed at the Plantation last month, there was gunshots during day. The gunshot were not audible inside our RV. Rounds were impacting into a backstop, no sounds of rounds leaving the "range." The biggest bother was the fireworks in and around the park on New Years Eve. Some people just get their dandruff up hearing gunfire or the site of a firearm.

Living the full time RV dream in a Holiday Rambler Motor home.

Our Travel Blog is http://rvroadriders.com

In answer to Linda in post #14, I figured it out. Go to myskp if you can, hover on Benefits in the blue header, in the drop down click on Parking, next page click on Travel Guide, next page click on Park Ratings.

Not a lot of them rated. I have one I put on. I wonder if the parks have the ability to read the ratings? I assume so. I filtered the one I did slightly as I would not want them to drop out of the system but would like to give escapees a true view so they would know what to expect. Kind of a dilemma.

Archived