Did you ever pay $100+ for a parking spot at a RV campsight?

slackercruster

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the Austin City Limits Music Festival. Stayed at a campground in Downtown Austin near Zilker park. Minimum 5 nights, $100 per night. It was a 12 minute walk to the Festival entrance.

The next closest was about 7 miles away, $30 or $35 per night, if I remember correctly, but almost an hour commute during rush hour and $30 to park near the festival entrance.

My daughter went last year, stayed in a Motel 6, about 4 miles away, and the 3 nights she stayed cost as much as our spot rental for 5 nights. Plus she either had to drive in or take a taxi.

Yes it was spendy, but in the wear and tear vs aggravation, not a bad trade off.

But it'll be a few years before I do it again. LOL

I agree, there are times when spending that much is well worth it to be close to something you want to do. The lack of commute hassle is will worth the extra cost.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I think the most we ever paid per night was $85/night at http://www.seaperchrvresort.com/rates.htm It is worth the price!

I agree, there are times when spending that much is well worth it to be close to something you want to do. The lack of commute hassle is will worth the extra cost.

The three most-often used words in realty are "Location, Location,Location!

I would rather pay for staying close, rather than pay a third or half and commute 3 hrs each day.

Edited by RayIN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Just a report back...I was able to get a dry camp spot for less in Jersey City. Worked out fine for my work and just fit my budget.

Glad you were able to find something that worked better for you.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Just a report back...I was able to get a dry camp spot for less in Jersey City. Worked out fine for my work and just fit my budget.

Would you mind sharing the location of the dry camping spot so others might use it in the future?

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

We went to Pismo Beach,CA. There is or was at the time an RV Park and we got there before 4 pm. the place was packed full not even enough room to put out our awning. We canceled our reservation, (Called them on the cellphone) didn't even pill in the place. They charged our credit card I believe it was $65.00 bucks. $45.00 for the spot and a cancelation fee of $20.00 because we didn't cancel 48hrs. in advance. I can't remember the name of the place, but we fund a really nice place across the street from them for $45.00 a day, and got a discount for being "Old Farts" (AARP members) and then we got a discount at a restaurant up by HWY 101 because we were staying at that campground. That was almost 9 years ago.

Remember..."Without Truck Drivers America Stops" 

"I woke up still not dead again today!"
"Take me to the Brig....I want to see the real Marines" Lt.Gen. L.B. "Chesty" Puller during a Battalion inspection.
"Semper Fi"

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 1:50 PM, Al F said:

I agree.  I would pay for something extra extra special, like "on the beach" or Austin City Limits.  Would be worth it to not have to commute.  But I sure wouldn't make a habit of it.

Cheers,

Ken

Edited by SecondWind

11 hours ago, SecondWind said:

I agree.  I would pay for something extra extra special, like "on the beach" or Austin City Limits.  Would be worth it to not have to commute.  But I sure wouldn't make a habit of it.

I think that "Austin City Limits" campground is the Pecan Grove RV Park where we stayed this March for Austin's SXSW @ $100 per night. I don't think we'll make it a yearly destination, but Pecan Grove is THE campground for walking Austin.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

• 2 weeks later...

I watched a 'youtube' celebrity's video. He said, he was in New York/NJ area. They wanted $95. for the campsite. A mile down the road there was a Motel 6 for $39.95. He said, Guess where I went ... and I parked for free.

On 5/9/2017 at 9:49 AM, John said:

I watched a 'youtube' celebrity's video. He said, he was in New York/NJ area. They wanted $95. for the campsite. A mile down the road there was a Motel 6 for $39.95. He said, Guess where I went ... and I parked for free.

I assume the $95 campsite in New York/NJ was Liberty Harbor.  The closest Motel 6 is near Newark airport, more than 10 miles away, and it's $70/night. 

Well, I finally did. Paid FMCA $490  for the Indy rally, July 12-15. Their upcharge for 50A electric is almost half of that. This one will be the last summer rally we attend, only plan on attending one per year. It will be our first and last year in FMCA if the board votes to become like Good Sam.

UPDATE: We won't be paying this after all. DW's back surgeon vetoed her traveling that far and the walking involved, said she isn't healed enough. I cancelled our reservation for the 50A handicap spot yesterday.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

10 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

It will be our first and last year in FMCA if the board votes to become like Good Sam.

Not sure what you mean, "like Good Sam?" You mean allowing people with trailers to join?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 5/16/2017 at 9:26 AM, Kirk Wood said:

Not sure what you mean, "like Good Sam?" You mean allowing people with trailers to join?

Yes. I'm a life member of Good Sam and enjoy the experience (except it is now to large). I'm a member of SMART because it it limited to military veterans and enjoy that experience. I joined FMCA because it is limited to MH owners and we thought we might enjoy that experience too. No reason to pay dues to FMCA (other than the included EMS) if they open membership to anyone, just like Good Sam.

9 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Yes. I'm a life member of Good Sam and enjoy the experience (except it is now to large). I'm a member of SMART because it it limited to military veterans and enjoy that experience. I joined FMCA because it is limited to MH owners and we thought we might enjoy that experience too. No reason to pay dues to FMCA (other than the included EMS) if they open membership to anyone, just like Good Sam.

Ray, What is SMART? Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

12 hours ago, chuckbear said:

Ray, What is SMART? Chuck

SMART= Special Military Active Recreational Travel club. Membership is open to anyone who ever served in the military, U.S.A. or Canada. We have a couple retired Generals, from there down to folks who served the 6 yr minimum.  They all wrote the check upon entry unto the military.

The above is the new name of the organization, originally it was formed by retired military members. The camaraderie is something one has to experience first-hand.

2 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

SMART= Special Military Active Recreational Travel club. Membership is open to anyone who ever served in the military, U.S.A. or Canada. We have a couple retired Generals, from there down to folks who served the 6 yr minimum.  They all wrote the check upon entry unto the military.

The above is the new name of the organization, originally it was formed by retired military members. The camaraderie is something one has to experience first-hand.

Hey Ray, did you look at that link I provided.  That's amazing how they both use the acronym SMART and are similar groups.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

6 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

Hey Ray, did you look at that link I provided.  That's amazing how they both use the acronym SMART and are similar groups.

Looks like the SMART(there is only one) team at HQ has not updated their page on militarycampgrounds.us Thanks,I'll email HQ and pass the information along.

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2016 at 9:16 PM, Yarome said:

X2. You would think that being known as a "discount" type store they would accept our passport america cards.. wouldn't ya.

All through the south, I've never been ask to pay at a Walmart, did you get a receipt, it not it went into the person you paids pocket

On 5/18/2017 at 9:02 PM, Ray,IN said:

Membership is open to anyone who ever served in the military, U.S.A. or Canada.

So share with us what value the group has for those of us who served but are excluded from use of the military campgrounds? My VA identity card won't get me access to any of them since I only put in 8 years. I did look at the website but since the Escapade is enough rally for us each year, I just don't see much to justify my joining. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI