Did you ever pay $100+ for a parking spot at a RV campsight?

slackercruster

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many RV parks have you found with such close proximity to N.Y. city? That's why they get the price they're asking. If you want to do the city that's where you'll stay unless you want to stay many miles away and commute into the city. I think you might be talking of Liberty Harbor RV.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

How many RV parks have you found with such close proximity to N.Y. city? That's why they get the price they're asking. If you want to do the city that's where you'll stay unless you want to stay many miles away and commute into the city. I think you might be talking of Liberty Harbor RV.

Yes, that is it.

There are more parks in that range. They are in high demand areas.

One in Maine has "Silver" "Gold" and "Platinum" sites based on how close to Penobscot Bay you are and if they have a little deck to sit on. The sites are tiny but very picturesque.

You don't get the same view from Walmart!

If we stay 1 night at a high dollar place we spend 3 nights at Walmart or an Elks Lodge to bring the AVERAGE cost of camping down to our budget.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

I was looking at a campsite near the NJ / NYC Ferry. They want $90 a day. I don't need

hookups, just a parking spot. Disgusting.

I don't understand the problem. This RV Park is just minutes away from downtown NYC. Hotel rooms run what, $200 for a really cheap room to maybe $500 for a good, but not top of the line hotel?? They you have to pay another $75-$100 a day, per person, for meals.

There are less expensive RV Parks, probably in the $50-$60 a day range, with a commute of 1.5 to 2 hours each way to the heart of NYC.

On the other hand if your reason for staying at Liberty Harbor is NOT to visit NYC the I know of no reason to want to stay there.

I know of another RV Park along the line of Liberty Harbor. It is in New Orleans, about 5 blocks from the French Quarter. Their campsites are in the $175 to $200 or more if you want to stay there during Marti Gras. However if you want to stay during Marti Gras, you need to make reservations a year or two in advance.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

The most we ever paid was in an RV park on the CA coast, just to the north of Santa Cruz. It was quite nice, had a private beach and golf course and was only about an hour south of San Fransisco. The price was $74/night in the week and $78/night for Friday & Saturday nights. This was in the fall of 2011.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We did a couple of nights at $100+ a night on the beach at Camp Gulf near Destin, FL. The site was gorgeous .. nothing between us and the waves except about 150 yards of white sand. My wife loved I. It was our first trip to Florida - and I wanted my wife's first extended trip in the coach to end on a high note. Then (as now) I was working on selling her on spending more time on the road than back home (I'm ready to fulltime yesterday - while she enjoys traveling a whole bunch, the idea of fulltiming, not so much). I doubt we'll spend that sort of cash for a campsite again ... but, it was the thing to do when we did it.

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

Regarding the FTing part of your statement, my bride was the one who wanted to do it. It took a little while to convince me to sell my $45K of tools and leave my shop. But she did and we've enjoyed 12 yrs. of FTing fun. We've slowed up a bit due to her health concerns, and will ultimately have to give it up someday soon, but what fun it has been. I have to pinch myself from time to time. We have been Blessed for sure. :)

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

I can't say as we have been drawn to $100 per night campgrounds not that I think it is wrong to charge that much in certain areas. NYC I avoid if possible and the Keys are a possible but not likely for us. There is something about the open spaces in the West that just warms my heart!

Phil, Carol, Ariel, Grey Lady, SKP# 93039

2009 Carriage Cameo

2016 Ram 2500, CTD, 4X4

With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.

http://motojavaphil.blogspot.com/

While I agree in principle that I would never pay $100/night for a RV Park spot I also refuse to pay $50/night either unless there is a really good reason.

However there exceptions.

-- If/when we visit NYC I will not object paying $90 to stay at Liberty Harbor. To be just minutes away from the heart of the city by subway just can't be beat.

-- Well I said exceptions, but I can't think of more, but I never say never, usually anyways.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

In a few instances you might need to pay for what you want. In my experience it is the location that costs so much. NYC is one and Key West is another. The California oceanside parking spots are not cheap but, at least so far, they aren't quite as expensive.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Cost us $7,500.00 for two weeks in Hawaii. Once in a lifetime well worth it, if I had some extra $'s would make it twice in a lifetime. The most we've paid for a campground was $45 in BC since there was another within 50 miles and we wanted to stop we paid it and were happy with it. If I wanted to stay at one of those locations for the experience I'd just drink cheap beer for awhile instead of craft brew. I never want to say "I should have".

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

San Francisco RV Resort: pull through $95 a day. But it is the closest to SF and on the beach so who can argue?

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Never paid a $100 a night for a RV spot during the 10 plus years that we spent on the road. However I did pay $189 a month for our 50 foot slip in HI which came with 30/50 amp elec, water and cable for our 42 foot sailboat that we lived on for 3-4 months during the winters for 15 years. Does that count?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Just got back from the Austin City Limits Music Festival. Stayed at a campground in Downtown Austin near Zilker park. Minimum 5 nights, $100 per night. It was a 12 minute walk to the Festival entrance.

The next closest was about 7 miles away, $30 or $35 per night, if I remember correctly, but almost an hour commute during rush hour and $30 to park near the festival entrance.

My daughter went last year, stayed in a Motel 6, about 4 miles away, and the 3 nights she stayed cost as much as our spot rental for 5 nights. Plus she either had to drive in or take a taxi.

Yes it was spendy, but in the wear and tear vs aggravation, not a bad trade off.

But it'll be a few years before I do it again. LOL

Keith & Jodi
Fleetwood Expedition 34H