Can't Connect

LindaH

This morning, I can't connect my computer to my hotspot.

I have a Windows 10 computer and a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone which I use as a hotspot. I've made no changes to either that I'm aware of and the connection was working yesterday when I turned my computer off.

When I opened up the Network Settings screen, I noticed that VPN was selected rather than Wi-Fi. I ran the troubleshooter, anyway, and got these two messages:

1. Problem with wireless adapter or access point -- Not fixed

2. "Wireless Network Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration -- Not fixed

Then I switched over to Wi-Fi and ran the troubleshooter again. Same error messages.

I have absolutely no idea where to go from here! Help!

Shouldn't my computer be set for Wi-Fi rather than VPN (which I have no idea what that means)?

Thanks!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I assume you have done the basics which is to reboot the computer? That often fixes minor problems.

As for it being "set to VPN", VPN is something that exists "in addition" to your wifi connection (after it has been connected). It's not as if the world is "one or the other". Go to Settings/Network and Internet/VPN and simply set the VPN switch to off.

Then go to Settings/Wifi and near the bottom of the page click on Change Adapter Options. On the next screen you will see your wifi adapter. Right click on it to Disable. Then, after it has completed the action (a few seconds), right click again to Enable. After ~30 seconds your wifi will probably be working normally again.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Yes, I've shut my computer down a couple of times...even shut my phone off and rebooted, but it didn't work.

I'll try your suggestions later today...we're getting ready to pack up and move locations, so I have no further time to fool with it right now. Fortunately, we have another computer along, or I'd be dead in the water. While I can read email, Facebook, and this site on my phone, I can't pay bills unless I have access to my computer!

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Another easy thing to try is going to a command prompt and do "ipconfig /release", followed by "ipconfig /renew".

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Bill I tried yours first and get these messages:

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected.

I have no idea what that means, or how to connect media...or even if it's something I want to do.

I'll try docj's suggestion next.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

This morning, I can't connect my computer to my hotspot.

I have a Windows 10 computer and a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone which I use as a hotspot. I've made no changes to either that I'm aware of and the connection was working yesterday when I turned my computer off.

When I opened up the Network Settings screen, I noticed that VPN was selected rather than Wi-Fi. I ran the troubleshooter, anyway, and got these two messages:

1. Problem with wireless adapter or access point -- Not fixed

2. "Wireless Network Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration -- Not fixed

Then I switched over to Wi-Fi and ran the troubleshooter again. Same error messages.

I have absolutely no idea where to go from here! Help!

Shouldn't my computer be set for Wi-Fi rather than VPN (which I have no idea what that means)?

Thanks!

This is very strange. We have the Galaxy edge 7 and the Verizon hot spot. Windows 10 .We have the same problem with exactly the same messages. It started a couple of days ago here in Central Florida. It will come back then drop again. It dropped this morning but it is back now.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I have run into this a couple of times. First off, I think Windows 10 doesn't handle WiFi well as i never had this problem with Windows 7.

My fix, which has worked both times, has been somewhat brutal. I have removed the WiFi adapter from the laptop in Device Manager and then reloaded it while on a wired connection, not letting it reload the drivers already on the computer, but searching for new drivers on the internet. It has worked, but I wish I knew what it was about Windows 10 that has caused this.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

My phone is a Galaxy S7 and although I my laptop can connect to it directly, I find the connection is far more stable if I connect the WiFiRanger to the phone and then have the computer connect to it. If I have the laptop connect directly to the phone the connection periodically will drop.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I have run into this a couple of times. First off, I think Windows 10 doesn't handle WiFi well as i never had this problem with Windows 7.

My fix, which has worked both times, has been somewhat brutal. I have removed the WiFi adapter from the laptop in Device Manager and then reloaded it while on a wired connection, not letting it reload the drivers already on the computer, but searching for new drivers on the internet. It has worked, but I wish I knew what it was about Windows 10 that has caused this.

I upgraded the computer from Windows 7 to 10 and then did the Anniversary update. That's been many months ago since the first upgrade and this is the first time I've had a problem with the computer connecting. Oh, once in great while it'll lose the connection, but I've always been able to cure it by either rebooting the computer or running the Troubleshooter. This time, nothing has worked. This morning, I got my Verizon tablet out and tried it, thinking perhaps the problem was between the computer and the phone, but it did the same thing, so it's something to do with the computer.

How do you do a wired connection? I assume it's some way of connecting the phone directly to the computer, but I have no idea what cable would be needed or how that would be done.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

My phone is a Galaxy S7 and although I my laptop can connect to it directly, I find the connection is far more stable if I connect the WiFiRanger to the phone and then have the computer connect to it. If I have the laptop connect directly to the phone the connection periodically will drop.

I don't have a WiFiRanger...all I have is my phone (and the tablet I mentioned above).

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

How do you do a wired connection? I assume it's some way of connecting the phone directly to the computer, but I have no idea what cable would be needed or how that would be done.

Well, in my S&B I just connect to my router with an Ethernet cable. This is obviously something you can't always readily do on the road. However, many RV parks and libraries offer you the ability to connect with Ethernet cable.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

We have had windows 10 for a long time and never had this particular problem. We had it at home in Northern Ohio and now here in Central Florida. Wife has the exact same Lap top and does not have the problem..

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

This is very strange. We have the Galaxy edge 7 and the Verizon hot spot. Windows 10 .We have the same problem with exactly the same messages. It started a couple of days ago here in Central Florida. It will come back then drop again. It dropped this morning but it is back now.

Strange that your problem seems to have happened about the same time as mine. Our other computer (which I fortunately took along on our trip south for the winter...I don't always do that since DH has a tablet that he uses) is a Surface 3 (not Pro) which I also updated from 8.1 to 10 and also did the Anniversary update. It hasn't had any problems connecting with the Internet (so far...knock on wood).

So there's something about my particular computer that has gone kaput. According to the error messages I'm getting, there's something wrong with the IP configuration in the Wireless Network Connection, but I have no idea how to fix that problem since the two fixes I tried (noted above) didn't work.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

We have had the message no valid IP address on windows 7 about a year ago. We tried manually entering the address, but it still wouldn't connect. I had problems connection to the campground (there for the winter) cable wifi and the tech finally was able to get me connected so I didn't have to use our data package all the time. After that, I was unable to connect to our jetpack, same message. Tech again checked everything and couldn't figure it out. I definitely wanted to be able to connect to our own as when we left I would need it. After a couple of weeks we finally gave up and did a backdated "restore" to the system. I was then able to connect to either and have not had a problem since. Wondering if perhaps there was a virus or something. Drastic measures but it's what solved our problem.

Pat DeJong

We have had the message no valid IP address on windows 7 about a year ago. We tried manually entering the address, but it still wouldn't connect. I had problems connection to the campground (there for the winter) cable wifi and the tech finally was able to get me connected so I didn't have to use our data package all the time. After that, I was unable to connect to our jetpack, same message. Tech again checked everything and couldn't figure it out. I definitely wanted to be able to connect to our own as when we left I would need it. After a couple of weeks we finally gave up and did a backdated "restore" to the system. I was then able to connect to either and have not had a problem since. Wondering if perhaps there was a virus or something. Drastic measures but it's what solved our problem.

Good idea on the restore..If it happened again I will do that. Windows defender finds nothing.

Linda,

There is a way to avoid connection issues that bypasses the wifi, and is probably much more secure. If the charger cord for the hotspot is also a USB cord, plug the hotspot into the computer. Its called "tethering". The computer will probably want to install hardware from the hotspot (automatically), and once that is done, anytime you tether you will be connected.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

I had the same problem with my IPhone this summer and ONE computer.

I thought it was a weak signal, but it doesn't appear to be that. BTW I was running windows 7. On the other computer it was hit and miss sometimes it would connect and sometimes it wouldn't.

The IPAD would always connect.

I never did figure it out. I was running an amplifier in most cases. Who knows? But you have company.

Running Verizon, but this summer I was always roaming.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

After the anniversary "update" I had a problem with my Dell laptop that would drop the Ethernet connection constantly. wireless worked. I checked everything for upgraded drivers but still had the problem, looked like hardware. Finally rolled back to Version 1511 and all seemed good . . . . for a while then it started again, only wireless worked. Finally about a month ago I rolled the network card driver back and it started to work normally. Haven't had a problem with it now in that month. I think I am in good shape now (knock wood).

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

After a couple of weeks we finally gave up and did a backdated "restore" to the system.

I thought about doing a restore, but when I checked, there were no restore points! I have no idea why that would be since all my other computers have had restore points (I haven't checked my Surface 3 that I'm currently using...guess I should do that!).

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

After the anniversary "update" I had a problem with my Dell laptop that would drop the Ethernet connection constantly. wireless worked. I checked everything for upgraded drivers but still had the problem, looked like hardware. Finally rolled back to Version 1511 and all seemed good . . . . for a while then it started again, only wireless worked. Finally about a month ago I rolled the network card driver back and it started to work normally. Haven't had a problem with it now in that month. I think I am in good shape now (knock wood).

How do you "roll back" to a previous version? Does it require Internet access? If so, that's going to be a problem since I can't access the Internet with the computer in question! Same thing with trying to upgrade drivers!

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

How do you "roll back" to a previous version? Does it require Internet access? If so, that's going to be a problem since I can't access the Internet with the computer in question! Same thing with trying to upgrade drivers!

You might try right clicking on the program icon on the desktop . Then hit properties ... The popup offers a tab for previous versions ( on W7 , anyway ).

Goes around , comes around .

You don't need to be online to do that?

Use another computer to download the driver install file and put it on a USB stick.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Archived