Getting mail problem

Taking a job in Bayton Tx and closest RV park I could get is in Dayton TX. Small park with 30 sites. Arrived yesterday afternoon and it was hot. After getting set up we just cooled it the rest of the day. Anyway I went to office today and asked for address for our mail. Nope local PO don't allow him to receive anyone else mail. Have never ran into to this. I would move but anywhere be lot more driving daily for me. Anyone ran into this?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Different parks interpret the laws differently, some don't want to be bothered or may have had a problem in the past with handling mail. Though a little more costly have FEDEX deliver your mail. They will deliver directly to your site.

I think UPS will also and you can follow the delivery via your smart phone or pc to see where it is in transit and exactly when it is delivered.

Another option is mail scanning. I haven't used the service myself but have heard positive reviews about mail scanning services and the Escapees RV Club now offers mail scanning:

https://www.escapees.com/support/mail-service/mail-service-rates

Escapees Mail Service offers an interactive, online capability that allows mail service members to view their personal mail quickly and easily. Subscribers are able to view and manage their first-class mail.

The process is very simple. Just go to your personal “MyMail” account and click on the Scanned Mail button. You will be taken to a secure online account that will display images of your scanned envelopes. You will now have the option to scan the content of the envelope, have the mail piece forwarded with your next scheduled mailing, or request that mail piece to be destroyed. Scanned content will be formatted as a PDF file you download and print.

Mail Scanning Service - $10/month – includes all first-class envelopes (available to Category B and Category C subscribers only). Fee for content scanning is $.50 per page.

This very convenient service can be activated and deactivated on a monthly basis, so if you are going overseas, for example, scanned mail might be particularly important to you, whereas other times waiting for it to arrive in the mail is perfectly acceptable.

For more details or personal assistance, please contact the Escapees Mail Service staff at 888-757-2582.

That's correct. Some parks won't accept mail for various reasons.

It sounds like a small town so just have your mail forwarded to the post office c/o General Delivery. We did that the majority of our stays in 16 years of full-timing with absolutely no issues. We had Escapees and it was sent Priority and received in 2-3 days.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I agree with the General Delivery idea. The only problem may be in the amount of time the P.O. will accept GD mail...some will accept it for only a month.

Best thing to do would go into the P.O. and talk to them. You may have to open a PO Box if you're going to be there for longer than a month.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Taking a job in Bayton Tx and closest RV park I could get is in Dayton TX. Small park with 30 sites. Arrived yesterday afternoon and it was hot. After getting set up we just cooled it the rest of the day. Anyway I went to office today and asked for address for our mail. Nope local PO don't allow him to receive anyone else mail. Have never ran into to this. I would move but anywhere be lot more driving daily for me. Anyone ran into this?

Since you are going to be there more than 30 days, just go rent a PO box. Simple, easy to do, Escapees will send mail on your schedule or you could do change of address with your correspondents to that PO BOX. How long is the job going to last?

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I don't buy the PO excuse. The park just doesn't want to do it. Have you checked with the PO to see if they can accept General Delivery mail for you? Many small postal offices are happy to do so for several months.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

When we were chasing oil rigs around Texas, we would rent a PO box if we were going to be in the general area for a while (month or better). We just had our mail service in South Dakota send our mail every 2 weeks to the PO box. I think it was somewhere around $46 a year. In Flatonia and Cotulla Tx we just rented for a year and then cancelled it when we left. The post office didn't refund, but for the cost, we didn't care. If the park has an address, and you have a lot number, UPS and FedX should delivery to your site. They delivered to GPS coordinates in south Texas.... middle of a ranch farm road...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I don't buy the PO excuse. The park just doesn't want to do it. Have you checked with the PO to see if they can accept General Delivery mail for you? Many small postal offices are happy to do so for several months.

I have to agree with this. I've stayed at plenty of places and had things delivered - UPS, USPS, Fedex. Just takes management or office staff that are accommodating and customer focused.

OTOH, if the park doesn't want to do it, so be it... you just have to find a place that better suits your needs.

If you want to kick over the hornets nest, go to their local PO and ask why they are refusing to deliver to you at the campground... :)

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

At our home CG in Texas the local postmaster in his infinite wisdom has decided that resident mail will no longer be delivered to outdoor mailboxes; henceforth it will be delivered in a big box to the office and office staff is responsible for delivering it to residents/campers. Office staff of two is a bit steamed about it.

That may be what's going on at your CG.

You may be able to rent a local P.O Box or obtain the services of a UPS Store to accept your forwarded mail. I'm presuming your mail is going to one maildrop and is forwarded on to wherever you are. If not setting that up would solve a lot of problems.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

I don't know if this would work or not, but can you get a mail box mounted to a post in a bucket and set it near your camper? If this is small town Texas, the PO might be able to work with you as long as a real delivery box is available.

Just a thought.

We are staying at a CG in N. Mich. and had ordered some items from Amazon. The PO delivered to CG office which then delivered to our site.

PS - Don't forget the box of donuts when you meet with the Post Master :)

Greg

Having multiple addresses will prevent one getting per deim. Lots of fraud in the system so that would throw a red flag. Not fair but a reality in our area of work

I'm not understanding how "They" would know of a forwarding mailbox unless you told them. You're still based out of Livingston right? When you were in Louisiana you had them Escapee's send your mail to Poche Plantation right, so now Escapee's just sends your mail to a post office box in Bayton, or to whatever address you tell them. Having a PO box or a rental box in a UPS store or mail package store doesn't consist of fraud. Don't use the official mail forward forms that the post office has.

Like I said earlier, we rent boxes whenever the campground won't accept mail. My company doesn't know or care about it. They just know that we're based out of South Dakota.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Not everywhere in the country is mail delivered to the address. My cousin in Hayward WI is just a 1/2 mile further down the road than the last road side mail box. When I asked why they didn't have a mail box it was because there was a charge for delivery. So they have a PO Box instead.

We were in a park in Forks WA and the park was in the same situation. They went to the Post Office to get their mail. That wasn't so bad but the Post Office had a policy of only accepting mail address to the Park, not just a PO Box number. Our problem that a shipment of prescription drugs was coming and the drug provider had no provision on the online address form for anything but the PO Box number. The package was coming in my name at PO Box number nnnn. We went to the Post Office and showed the tracking of the package and explained the situation. We left our phone number. When the package arrived, the Post Office accepted it and called us.

Small towns may have their limitations and benefits.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We had a similar situation a few years ago in Panguitch UT where we were working for a couple of months. We solved the problem by having UPS deliver our mail whenever we asked our mail forwarding service to send it. UPS delivered directly to our site without a problem. The difference in price between UPS and USPS for a small parcel isn't so bad if the need is only for a month or two.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I wish that there was consistency in policy across all USPS locations. I can understand in a large town only one PO accepts General Delivery but each PO seems to be able to make their own rules. Difficult to deal with when traveling.

That has always been a puzzle to me also. I used to believe that the strong point of a government organization was consistency, but for some reason that doesn't seem to be the case for General Delivery. We were twice in locations where the local PO would only accept General Delivery mail for those who went in and registered for it. Similar to renting a PO box, but without any box. :huh:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We've had 100% good results with using General Delivery. We always picked a small post office and have never called to check if they would accept it. Every one did. Guess we were lucky!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I wonder how much the USPS rules vary between direct USPS operated facilities and privately owned Contract Postal Units. I know the pricing is fixed by the USPS, but I don't know how things like General Delivery are handled by a CPU.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived