Rental Cars and Flat Tires

Several years ago we decided to start renting cars instead of towing our car when we travel. Renting has been a big convenience for us. We have had very positive experiences with Enterprise picking us up, insuring the car was clean, making sure we were happy with our rental and assisting us when we had low tire pressure warnings. We just rented from Hertz as there was no Enterprise in town and have had a much different experience.

My questions:

1) Have you ever experienced a flat tire or low pressure warning in a rental car?

2) Did you have flat tire coverage?

3) What company did you rent from?

4) What did the company do for you?

We also rented from Enterprise and were happy with their service. We never had a flat tire in a rental but our Coach Net covered us in any vehicle in which we were the driver or passenger so we would have called them if needed. It pays to read the fine print on everything.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Had a Hertz rental Chevy and the tire warning thingy went off on 515 about a mile and a half from the exit we use for the Fremont Hotel in Las Vegas. Nothing seemed to be wrong, about 8 AM. I looked at the tire at the hotel, looked good, the valet parked it, we reclaimed it about 7 PM Sunday after the race. Went about 250 miles back to Yuma, AZ. and the warning never came back on. We usually use Hertz because of the deal with American Express. But if they are too high, we search out the cheapest. Our over the road policy covers a rental car and associated possible malfunctions. Never used Enterprise but may be you can answer this question. Their motto is "we pick you up". What happens when you are ready to return the car? Several of the outfits are all owned by the same company.

You drive to their location and they return you to your RV. The only issue that we had with them was that they didn't want dogs in the car. We were stranded in Flagstaff for 3 weeks due to lightning, and needed to take our dogs with us from time to time. The motel allowed dogs, but didn't want us to leave them in the room when we went out.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

We had the tire pressure thingy go off when we had a rental car from Enterprise. We were traveling in a different state. Called them and they told me what facilities they use to service their vehicles. Because we were going to put and 1,000 miles on the car and were just at the beginning of our trip, we took the car in. Tires had lost pressure because of going from a warm location to a cold winter location. It only took us a few minutes and we were set to go. Never had a flat tire, but we would always contact the rental company first to see how they wanted the situation handled. Especially if the car had one of those donuts for a spare.

Pat DeJong

We rented a car from Hertz in May. Hertz includes road service with their rental price, which in my case was $129/week. Hertz does not come and pick you up, but they did deliver me back to our MH.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Nothing but good experiences with Enterprise. Not so with Budget or Hertz.

A few years ago, we were driving an Enterprise rental in S. Carolina. Middle of nowhere, just about dusk, we hit a piece of steel on the highway, and broke the aluminum wheel / flattened the tire immediately. We were about 3 hours from Columbia ( nearest Enterprise location ). They agreed to send emergency road service, then called back to say it may take a few hours !. They kept updating us on ETA of service truck, but timing was getting extended as they had trouble finding a tire service who would make the extended run out to our location. Finally, I dug out the little spare and changed it by feel ( not even moonlight to help. Enterprise had an employee stay at the office until we could make it there, swapped out the car, and sent us on our way with a smile. Thats good service !

3 wk rental from Alalmo in SLC. Booked through Rentalcars,com. They include the CDW in the base price.

Low pressure warning showed and I pulled off the road at the next exit and saw that I had a large piece of plastic stuck in the shoulder of a tire that was going flat.

Fitted the spare myself and carried on to the Ski resort,

Phoned the company and was told to come in and exchange the car.

I was expecting to have to pay for a new tire but instead just spoke with a claims adjuster on the phone and was told it was covered.

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

Our rental car from Hertz did not have a spare tire and when we went to have the tires checked for the low pressure warning at the local tire store they said many rental cars no longer carry a spare. I don't know how many people have tire issues in rental cars but that doesn't seem like a good practice? Turned out our tire had a faulty patch. I have been Googling rental car flat tires and found some other comments about faulty tire patches.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my guide to protection benefits from my new Costco Citi Visa Card and it includes Worldwide Car Rental Insurance (collision loss/damage insurance). I'm sure there is fine print but they will cover you up to $50K if you pay for the rental with your Costco City Visa Card, and in the United States it is provided only as secondary to your primary insurance. None the less it is good to know as a potential back up coverage. (from page 10/11 of the Protection Benefits Guide)

We have emergency roadside assistance with our primary insurance and the cost of a new tire is about break even for the rental company's fees Hertz $18.00 a day*, Enterprise $4.00 a day**.

*Quote received in June 2016 in California

**Quote received in July 2016 in Oregon

Also quotes will depend on location and time of year. Summer is high season so rates may be less during off peak times.

I'm using a rental now. We never purchase the insurance through the rental agency. Our own vehicle insurance covers rental issues as does our Chase Visa card if we use the card for the rental fee.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Archived